Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 9:05:17 AM EDT
He needs to know about the firearm laws there.   Are there any city ordinances regarding handguns? rifles?  CCW? Storage?  He was told by someone that he would have to have a permit just to own a handgun there.  I didn't believe that, but that is why I am asking you.

We live in WY, so most everything is a go here. We would like to know the differences.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Alan Korwin makes some good books.  Google for him.  Laws are pretty lax here.  Open carry is ok except for bars and gov't buildings.  Private property rules so if you're asked to leave, you must comply.  CCW is available after 6 months and is not hard to get.  Typically a $100 class and I think $60 for the license and fingerprints ( in maricopa county ).  

-luke
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a state-licensed AZ ccw trainer.  If he's got questions, have him email me at [email protected] and I'll help him as I can.

Mike

PS.  We have preemption; no city ordinances relating to storage.  A safe IS a good idea but there's no law mandating anything.  There's no permit to own anything.  Open carry is legal.  Concealed requires a permit and we're a shall-issue state.

Like Wyoming, anything goes!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Packing.org Arizona summary

+1 on the Arizona Gun Owner's Guide by Alan Korwin.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Have him read Alan Korwin's book.

While he's waiting to get it he can read chapter 31 here.

www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13

Cities in AZ cannot pass firearm ordinances on their own. State law is the law of the land.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]

CCW is available after 6 months and is not hard to get.

That's not true unless it is a law passed within the last year. I had my AZ CCW in hand within 2 weeks of moving here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

CCW is available after 6 months and is not hard to get.

That's not true unless it is a law passed within the last year. I had my AZ CCW in hand within 2 weeks of moving here.

Heck, I wasn't even a resident when I got mine.
Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I was wrong.. Is it class 3 you have to be a resident for 6 mos for MCSO to sign then?

-luke
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Heck, I wasn't even a resident when I got mine.
Mike

Ditto- I had mine 30 days before moving down!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was wrong.. Is it class 3 you have to be a resident for 6 mos for MCSO to sign then?

-luke

I can't speak to Sheriff Joe's own requirements.  However, I can tell you that FEDERALLY you must be a resident for at least 90 days before purchasing handguns in your new state of residence.

Long guns shouldn't be an issue.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, thats the MCSO's own special requirement. There is no legal need to do so. The MCSO has a bunch of other requirements that are simply not necessary (extra pics, fingerprints, etc for the MCSO) since the ATF does a background check anyway.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yes, thats the MCSO's own special requirement. There is no legal need to do so. The MCSO has a bunch of other requirements that are simply not necessary (extra pics, fingerprints, etc for the MCSO) since the ATF does a background check anyway.

If you want NFA in maricopa, they'll sign for it-- it's just a pain in the rump.

It's bad enough that a lot of people are thinking (and doing!) corporate method.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Will be moving down to New River next weekend from the People's Republic. I heard that not only do you need to wait 90 days to buy handguns after becoming a resident, but long guns are included in the 90 day wait too?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top