Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 6:48:32 AM EDT
Umm...

Okee dokee.  So early this morning, a funny triangular shaped thingy appears on the northern horizion at the 30 degree area.  It's definitely hovering there, not moving...  Glowing.  Some people claim there's more than one.

The local Homeland Security folks take notice, Luke Air Force Base gets a call, and the theme song from the X-Files is dusted off and replayed over and over again on every station in the Valley.  Yes, this creates what could be termed as a "stir" in the area.  

Of course, it turned out to be just a low-flying weather balloon.

As many of you might remember from my Wal-Mart story, I live in a "less" educated, rural area.  As is normal for a Friday, I got going to work and stopped at the local AM/PM for gas.  Two men were sitting near the coffee machine discussing the day's event.  The first man was an older gentleman, dressed in paint-splattered bib overalls and a coffee stained 'wife beater' shirt.  What little hair he had was done in a sloppy, greasy "combover."  His buddy 'Boomer' had three or four teeth in various stages of decay but was dressed in cleaner overalls but no shirt-- this had the unfortunate effect of showing a relatively hairy chest with grotesque hairy nipples.  Entering the store to pay, I heard the following exchange:

Man #1:  BOOMER!  Didja see that UFO up in ta sky?"

Boomer:  "Sure 'nuff did...  My brother done says its a "weather balloon."  I ain't never heard of no "weather balloon."

Man #1:  "Yeah, I heard that on the transciever this morn.  Tell ya what, I don't believe it.  Ya just can't trust no gub'mint radio to tell ya the truth!"

Store Clerk:  I don't trust the SECULAR PRESS no how!"

Boomer and Man #1:  (Chorus of "Uh huh, yup, etc.")

Boomer:  "I think we got visitors no matter what no radio says."

Man #1:  "Tell ya what, Boomer...  I got ta thinkin'...  If that there object be aliens, that means they're smart enough to build a spaceship to come visit.  Why in the hill (Mike's commentary: Yes, he said "hill.") couldn't they be makin' their spaceship to be lookin' like a weather balloon?

Boomer:  "Oooh, now THAT'S something-- I done seen some cloakin' dee-vice like that on the TV once..."

The conversation continued on further, but I felt the need to pay up quickly and leave.  Can't quite explain why-- must have been the warnings from my tinfoil hat about mind control devices being in use...

...or was that just the microwave beeping from Boomer's burrito?

Maybe moving west into civiliation wasn't such a horrible course of action.....

Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Apache Junction.  

I don't remember the Wal-Mart story. Got a link?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#2]
At least they didn't blame it on the Jews.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm from the Boston,MA area originally and moved to Scottsdale,AZ about 10 years ago. Two years ago I moved to East Mesa right by the Apache Junction border. To give you an idea where I'am my cross streets are roughly University & Ellsworth Rd. I can throw a rock from my back yard and hit some AJ stoner on the head if I really try.....
     No offense to anyone in AZ or in the Apache Junction area but there is a total lack of intellegent people in this area. My wife and I are seeing this more and more.....The school system must really suck here or something? Or there are too many pot heads living around here......
     After reading that Prebans, I could totally relate! I overheard a simular conversation once and just thought to myself how does someone make it through life on 2 brain cells.... LMAO!

Funny stuff!

-John
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm from the Boston,MA area originally and moved to Scottsdale,AZ about 10 years ago. Two years ago I moved to East Mesa right by the Apache Junction border. To give you an idea where I'am my cross streets are roghly University & Ellsworth Rd. I can throw a rock from my back yard and hit some AJ stoner on the head if I really try.....
     No offense to anyone in AZ or in the Apache Junction area but there is a total lack of intellegent people in this area. My wife and I are seeing this more and more.....The school system must really suck here or something? Or there are too many pot heads living around here......
     After reading that Prebans, I could totally relate! I overheard a simular conversation once and just thought to myself how does someone make it through life on 12 brain cells.... LMAO!

Funny stuff!

-John

I'm on University and Sossaman-- are you in that subdivision just north of University on Ellsworth..?

Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Mike,
I'm basically at 95th street and University just Southeast of that subdivision you could say. Actually I'm in that old neighborhood surrounded by all new homes.

-John
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Meth is a mean drug.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
That has got to be the funniest story I have heard all week. I'm was laughing so hard I was crying. But you got to give those guys credit. They're thinking. After all, who would have thought that aliens would disguise their ships to look like weather balloons. What's next. Alien spaceships disguised as Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobiles?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I was out scouting for some new hunting spots, I thought I was seeing things.  When I left the house it was dark, I noticed it when it was starting to get light, I thought "that is a weird looking plane".  I got further out and it was still there, just hanging in the sky.  I broke out my binocs and then I figured out it was a balloon.  After that they started talking about it on the radio.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
It was a research balloon launched by NASA in NM.
I saw it to the south from Prescott Valley about 10AM.

It was supposed to be at 110000 feet at that time.
I was surprised I could see it so well, even if the balloon was 400 feet in diameter.

They said NASA's website would have info, but I can't find it, or find any info on Google.

Edit to add links:
First is link to NASA/National Scientific Balloon Facility
www.nsbf.nasa.gov/schedule.html

Second is what I believe is the actual balloon info, based on the launch date on the first link.
mark4sun.jpl.nasa.gov/

Jay
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was a research balloon launched by NASA in NM.
I saw it to the south from Prescott Valley about 10AM.

It was supposed to be at 110000 feet at that time.
I was surprised I could see it so well, even if the balloon was 400 feet in diameter.

They said NASA's website would have info, but I can't find it, or find any info on Google.

Edit to add links:
First is link to NASA/National Scientific Balloon Facility
www.nsbf.nasa.gov/schedule.html

Second is what I believe is the actual balloon info, based on the launch date on the first link.
mark4sun.jpl.nasa.gov/

Jay

Boy, isnt that just like the police?

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Prebans,
You need to re-post your Wal-mart thread for those that missed it the first time.  That was really funny,(and made me never want to stop in AJ).
George
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Prebans,
You need to re-post your Wal-mart thread for those that missed it the first time.  That was really funny,(and made me never want to stop in AJ).
George

Oh, Christ...  

Mike
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That was really funny,(and made me never want to stop in AJ).
George

I'm wondering why anyone would want to stop there in the first place. hock.gif
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh course there is a lack of inteligence in that area. Think about it, all those alien "weather ballons" must be introducing some sort of radiation or "dumbing" gas into the region as a form of mind control. Thank God I am up here in North Phoenix where all I have to fear is all the alcoholic wives driving at mach 1 in their minivans.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh course there is a lack of inteligence in that area. Think about it, all those alien "weather ballons" must be introducing some sort of radiation or "dumbing" gas into the region as a form of mind control. Thank God I am up here in North Phoenix where all I have to fear is all the alcoholic wives driving at mach 1 in their minivans.

I've heard about Anthem.....

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top