Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 1:43:19 PM EDT
So when is it? I know have Saturdays off and would really like to try this. I don't have any fancy gear but it looks fun
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
This Saturday - 9/11/04

Don't worry about fancy gear.  The first time I did it, I was pulling mags and shot shells from my shorts pockets.  I shoot a Rem 1187 and a post ban AR15.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is Rio at?

I would like to come see this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where is Rio at?

I would like to come see this.

Yeah where is it? And how much does it cost to enter?  What kind of ammo and how much would I need?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The Rio Salado Sportsmans Club is north of Route 60 on Ellsworth Road in Mesa on the way to Usery Pass (Salt River Recreation). You seen that big "sign" on the hill that says"< PHOENIX"? The range is at the base of that hill.

The match costs $9 to enter, and you can re-run any stage for another $1 per run. It's held in the Practical Pistol and Rifle Silhouette bays (to the east of the public range). If it's your first time out there, ask for Bob Pulz (sp?) and he will fill you in on the range rules and match safety.

For rifle, no AP, no tracers, that sort of thing. Usually you will need about 40 rounds for the short range rifle stage (sort of CQB plus shots to 50 yards), and about 20-30 for the long range rifle (out to 300 yards) stage. Mags changes almost always required, but you can always carry it in your back pocket if you don't have some sort of mag pouch. ARs ae the dominate choice, but you will also see FALs, AKs, SKSs, and the occasioal M1A and HK.

For shotgun, there are 2 stages. One with slugs, and the other without. You will need 5-10 slugs, depending on course design, and around 20-30 shotshells (most guys runs #8 or #7 shot). Benelli's and Remingtons (870 and 11-87/1100) are the most popular, but it's more about how you handle it that what it is.

If you are coming out to watch, bring your gear anyway. You may decide that you want to play. If I wasn't going to be out of town, I would be willing to help out any new shooters to the game (maybe next month). It's a blast and I can virtually guarantee that if you try it, you will be hooked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You can also shoot just rifle or shotgun only.  You don't need to have both but you can't shoot your rifle on the shotgun stage and visa versa.  It's only $5 to shoot 1 gun and it starts at 8:00 am
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
SinistralRifleman and I will be out there. Just look for the serious gear junkies.. I'll be the lo-tech guy w/ them..

Here's some pics/vids from last month.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=182953
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to work.

Oh well, I should be good to go for next month's shoot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I will be there this time, but not shooting;

My AR is currently In between Post-ban and no-ban, I had to yank the brake to get a YHM FF HG on it and don't feel like reinstlling the brake just for a few days.

I'm waiting on parts to convert my old dove gun into something that would work for this.

And my FAL is also currently getting the brake stripped off, and other work done.

So unless I'm going to do this with a Winchester 94 30/30 and a Stoeger 20 gauge SXS, then I'm outa lu...... wait a minute... that actually sounds like fun, I'll cowboy shoot this match.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
After almost 2 years of posting match announcements its nice to see more AR15.com members coming out to these  

Ironically the post with the most people interested in coming is one I didn't start

Thats because everyone knows that Cav Arms guys are CRAZY!!!!   AHHH!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I'll be there, who knows what condition though. We are having a bachelor party for one of  my friends tonight. Hope to see everyone there; I'll be the guy looking lost...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Any pics or vids?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's the match report. Of the 5-6 guys in here that said they'd be there, only 3 showed up AFAIK. If any of you were there, let us know.

I had a gear change this match that affected my shotgun scores. Once I get used to the new gear, things should fall into place nicely. For the shotgun stages, I'm using one of the SST adapters from CavalryArms on my Mossberg 500. I didn't do too bad on the shotgun stages, but it's going to take a little time to get used to shooting a shotgun like an AR. I've been used to a dropped stock profile and bore mounted turkey sights. Here's what it looked like before:

Notice the drop in the stock. It really helped prevent your cheek from being beaten to death when shooting 3" magnum loads.

Here's a shot of the SST from the CavArms site. It shows the straight profile a little better than the match pics. I've got the same setup except mine's a Moss 500 not a 590 and I don't have the 4pos buttstock, I've got a standard A1.

I was a little worried about not having a rubber buttpad on the A1 stock. I was very surprised and how well the straight profile of the SST adaptor and A1 stock reduced felt recoil. Follow up shots are a breeze, or would be if not for my ineptitude using a red-dot sight. The change in sights is going to take a little getting used to. The new safety used with the SST is wonderful, I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to disengage the safety without having to completely let go of the pistol grip and reach over the top of the receiver.

First shotgun stage:
Me

Russell:

Second shotgun stage:
AZEric:

Russell:

Me:

Long range rifle:
Here's the stage layout. There were four steel flag poppers (flag raises when you hit them) and four LaRue swinging targets at ranges from 100 to 300+ yards.
Shooters must engage all 8 targets from the prone position and then again while shooting over a table.

Russell:

AZEric:

Me: The old Simmons Aetec 3-10x44 really came in handy on this one.

CQB rifle:
Stage setup: Begin with one knee on the ground in the shooter's box. On buzzer, climb stairs and engage 3 targets over the top of the barricade. Then proceed down the hall and engage targets as they become visible. At the end, shoot 4 targets in the spider hole. Various no-shoot and hard-cover targets are interspersed.

AZEric:

Russell:

Me:

After the match was over, Russell and I took the opportunity to run the CQB stage using our sidearms. Quite a difference and extremely FUN!

Russell took out the bad guys in the spider hole execution style. He pretty much reached all the way in and popped each in the forehead.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I ended up sleeping way past the match time, hopefully I can make it next month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top