Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 11:45:06 AM EDT
I did a search on the CMP website and the only thing that turned up were a couple of high schools and a 4-H club.

I'm really contemplating ordering a CMP Garand, but of course you need that shooting practice at a CMP affiliated club. The only other question I have is if surplus Garands can easily be converted to 7.62 / .308. I'd think .306 would be slightly more difficult to find, and I've seen them offered in .308 by sellers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Rio Salado in Mesa is.  Are you a veteran?  Vets can just order them.

In brief .308 conversion involves a new barrel and a spacer block in the magazine for the shorter .308 cartridge.  Early conversions for the barrel involved a chamber insert instead of a barrel conversion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
A vet doesn't have to take any class but I think you still have to be a member of a CMP affiliated gun club.  All that means is that you go to one of these club and pay the membership fee which could be as low as $20.00 for one year.
Tucson Rifle Club

Tucson Rifle Club application

Phoenix Rod and Gun Club

I’m in the U.S. military. Am I still required to belong to an affiliated club?
Yes. Every applicant must be a member of a CMP affiliated club or a State Association. To locate a club you may be interested in joining visit our Affiliated Clubs web page.  NOTE: Most clubs can be joined by mail. The National Rifle Association is not an affiliated club.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I need to participate in another qualifying match?
Your application must include proof of marksmanship activity within the last five years, unless you are in one the following categories:

Active duty military, Reserves and Retirees – Submit a copy of your military ID card.
Veterans – Submit a copy of your DD214 (discharge papers showing honorable discharge.
Age 60 or older – Submit proof of age.
Handicapped or disabled and cannot participate in a qualifying match - submit a physicians report with application.

CMP Club Search Results

Alhambra JROTC Rifle Team
 Phoenix
 AZ

Arizona State Rifle & Pistol Association
 Tempe
 AZ

Casa Grande Union High School
 Casa Grande
 AZ

Coolidge High School
 Coolidge
 AZ

Copper State Detachment 906 Marine Corps League
 Prescott Valley
 AZ

Copper State Detachment 906 Marine Corps League
 Prescott Valley
 AZ

Flagstaff Shooting Assoc.
 Flagstaff
 AZ

Flowing Wells JROTC Rifle Team
 Tucson
 AZ

Maricopa County 4-H Shooting Sports
 Phoenix
 AZ

Mohave Sportsmans Club
 Kingman
 AZ

Navy JROTC Unit
 Phoenix
 AZ

Phoenix Rod & Gun Club
 Glendale
 AZ

Prescott Sportsmens Club Inc
 Prescott Valley
 AZ

Ray High School
 Kearny
 AZ

Rio Salado Sportsman's Club
 Mesa
 AZ

Slash K Rifle Club and Junior Division
 Tucson
 AZ

Southern AZ Wildlife Callers
 Tucson
 AZ

Tolleson Union High School
 Tolleson
 AZ

Tonto Rim Sports Club Inc
 Payson
 AZ

Tucson Rifle Club Inc.
 Tucson
 AZ

Westview High School
 Avondale
 AZ

Wickenburg Sportsman Club
 Wickenburg
 AZ

Williams Junior Rifle Club
 Williams
 AZ

Yuma Rifle & Pistol Club
 Yuma
 AZ

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That's correct.  I'm a member at Rio.  I didn't have to shoot matches because of the DD-214.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's the address to the M-1 clinic that is run out at Rio.  The clinic is pretty good if you've never shot highpower.  At the end of the class you're eligible to order from the CMP.

arizona.rifleshooting.com/m1clinic.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#5]
It seems I read somewhere that if you have a CCW you don't need to shoot a match either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's the address to the M-1 clinic that is run out at Rio.  The clinic is pretty good if you've never shot highpower.  At the end of the class you're eligible to order from the CMP.

That's how my son and I got our Garands. Had a lot of fun, to boot!

You can join the GCA (Garand Collectors Association) for $25 to fulfill the club member requirement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It seems I read somewhere that if you have a CCW you don't need to shoot a match either.

That would be evidence of markmanship ability I think.   I know law enforcement can use there qualification shoots after getting the range officer to sign off that they have received the training.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be evidence of markmanship ability I think.   I know law enforcement can use there qualification shoots after getting the range officer to sign off that they have received the training.  

From the CMP website...

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Card.
FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
No proof required if over age 60.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

CMP Elig. Req'ts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top