Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 11:39:49 AM EDT
How was everyone dove hunting?

Started blasting at 5:33am.
Ten Birds, 73 shells later it's 6:45am.
I stayed in the field and helped my friends kid until 8:30. I was amazed at the amount of dove flying this year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Bummer.  I have a job.

Did it sound like Da Nang in 1969 out there?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm struggling on whether I should go or not. Frankly, the idea of field dressing them is a turn off compared to the rate of return.  The only payoff would be I get to go to the Mexican border and shoot their way, maybe scare them back across.

But I do have my gun plugged, in case I get the urge. Gotta buy a stamp this year too, right?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I stayed in the field and helped my friends kid until 8:30. I was amazed at the amount of dove flying this year.

We had a horrible day. Now we just went to a quick spot this morning because most of us had to leave by 9:00. This not so great spot usually produces limits though, in fact we got limits there during both seasons last year, but this morning I only got off about 8 shot, most of them were "Just Wishing" shots, and 2 of the 8 were me just checking POA on a new shotgun. Out of 4 of us, one person got 2 birds, the rest of us got skunked.

This was probably the worst opening day I've ever seen. G&F is saying that because of that cooler weather we had, a lot of the dove have already left for Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
1.5 tins of pellets, 2.5 hours, and about 250 pests dispatched.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a horrible day. Now we just went to a quick spot this morning because most of us had to leave by 9:00. This not so great spot usually produces limits though, in fact we got limits there during both seasons last year, but this morning I only got off about 8 shot, most of them were "Just Wishing" shots, and 2 of the 8 were me just checking POA on a new shotgun. Out of 4 of us, one person got 2 birds, the rest of us got skunked.

This was probably the worst opening day I've ever seen. G&F is saying that because of that cooler weather we had, a lot of the dove have already left for Mexico.

The weather has been cooler?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The weather has been cooler?

I know... it sounds wierd, but remember the little monsoon we had? we had a couple of weeks were day temps were cooler and Night temps were very cool.

This is just what some of the G&F guys have told other people.

What ever the reason, I had a crappy opening day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If all those "250 pests" were dove, then you're full of crap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going tomorrow evening.  Any recommendations around the Queen Creek area?
cp
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cp

The early dove season is Sept. 1-15. The late dove season is Nov. 19, 2004 through Jan. 2, 2005. During the early season, adults can only hunt doves until noon. Juniors can hunt doves all day during the early season.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Couldn't make it out this morning but took my son out after work.  One hour, 10 doves, 22 shots.  I'm hoping I do that well this weekend........
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
my dad went out today, said he got 3 or 4 (I forget)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You fired 73 times and only got 10 birds?

Well at least you got to make noise!

I didn't get to hunt today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really wish I had a digi-cam.  Maybe I will borrow my buddies for Friday.

It's much easier when you have a large pile of feed that keeps bringing them in too.  Ah, life on the dairy
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really wish I had a digi-cam.  Maybe I will borrow my buddies for Friday.

It's much easier when you have a large pile of feed that keeps bringing them in too.  Ah, life on the dairy

<COUGH>Bag limits<COUGH>

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Pest control doesn't count (I hope).
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Pest control doesn't count (I hope).

I'd tread very lightly.  Dove seem to have a lot of regulations on them (migratory bird and all).
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Migratory?  Those little bastards are here year round!  Asides from that, I know we are allowed to poison them, but we had to stop because they'd fly into people yards and die just after eating the poison so we got a lot of complaints (cursed urban sprawl!).  

I don't see how shooting them is any different, and it certainly keeps my dad and the employees happy.  I feed most of their families some days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, some were on the small side,no whitewings.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#19]
az-ar,

I have a friend that just paid for a membership to hunt another Dairy. Apperently this other dairy does it every year. Memberships are $120.

Somebody at your Dairy should look into that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
az-ar,

I have a friend that just paid for a membership to hunt another Dairy. Apperently this other dairy does it every year. Memberships are $120.

I would love to hear more information about this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
az-ar,

I would love to hear more information about this.

I'll see if I can get more info from him. He just mentioned it yesterday while we were standing around waiting for birds that never showeed up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cp

The early dove season is Sept. 1-15. The late dove season is Nov. 19, 2004 through Jan. 2, 2005. During the early season, adults can only hunt doves until noon. Juniors can hunt doves all day during the early season.

That is garbage!  I can't get out of of work until the afternoon to go and if I want to go I have to go all the way to Payson (North Area) in order to hunt into the evening.  

I know Payson is about 45min away from me but is the bird hunting any good there?
cp
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About 190 here, pretty slow going this afternoon.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#24]
F'in A, dude, that's a lot of freaking dove!  Mark me down as being impressed and jealous!  

But I still don't believe that you killed 250 in 2 1/2 hours!  That's a bird every 36 seconds without taking a break.  Factor in breaking open the action, pinching a pellet and loading it, closing the action, finding a dove that hasn't flown away, and then aiming and firing, and then admiring your kill.  I now believe you are one hell of a dove-killing mofo, but the number you posted HAS to be an exaggeration!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#25]
P.S.  I think you should invite me over to shoot some myself!  

....that's the only way you'll 'convince' me!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
F'in A, dude, that's a lot of freaking dove!  Mark me down as being impressed and jealous!  

But I still don't believe that you killed 250 in 2 1/2 hours!  That's a bird every 36 seconds without taking a break.  Factor in breaking open the action, pinching a pellet and loading it, closing the action, finding a dove that hasn't flown away, and then aiming and firing, and then admiring your kill.  I now believe you are one hell of a dove-killing mofo, but the number you posted HAS to be an exaggeration!

No exaggeration.  The trick is, don't take any time to admire your kill.

They come as fast as I can reload and shoot on good days. 4-6pm is the best time, especially when it is sunny.  I just chill in the John Deere Gator, rest my airgun on the steering wheel, let them fly down and land right in front of me, and pop em off one by one.  My right thumb is always covered in lead by the end of my session from grabbing so many pellets with it.

Oh, and it's the best when they line up for me.  If one is directly behind another, I can get both with one pellet.  They just zip right through em.  Fun, fun!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok az-ar Im at Recker and Guadalupe. How do I get there.
Air rifle is ready to go. Just waiting on your IM or email
Milhouse...the original Milhouse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top