Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 6:20:55 PM EDT
I finally closed on 1.1 acres here after a three month process.  The lot is about a 5% grade, 15% vegetated and will be easy to clear. I'm planning on picking up another 2.5 adjacent acres.  This place is surrounded to the North and East by the Lincoln NF, the South by Ft Bliss/McGregor Range and to the West by the Circle Cross Ranch.  It is essentially an inholding surrounded by federal lands and has an airstrip and a golf course.  There will be little growth unless the ranch gets sold off.  We're planning on building in about five years.  Here are some pics taken before the rains in July:

The trees get a little denser towards the road to the West, obscuring it in this pic.  My truck is parked on the road, but unseen in this pic.

The brown beetle infested pines are the north boundary, but I plan to by that lot, too.   Water and power are are an easy connection when I'm ready.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I been in that area.  Can't say that I have been in that EXACT spot.  But, definitely close.  That's about 1.5 to 3 hours from me.

I think I mentioned it before, but we have a place in Cloudcroft.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I believe you did mention that.  There is supposed to be a range in La Luz, which is sort of on the way to Cloud Croft.  I'm going to try and locate it on Labor Day weekend and also find out if there are any designated shooting areas in the NF.  We are renting a cabin in Timberon during that time.

The owner of the Circle Cross  is reportedly setting up to provide guided hunts and is feeding the deer and elk.

One thing you may not know about is the developing infusion of military into Ft Bliss.  That place is set for significant, potentially HUGE expansion.  It is confirmed we we are getting a brigade in 2005 and possibly the 1st Armored Div a little later as it relocates from overseas.  The base is making a play to take up to a Corps size tenant on station.  This will have a positive real estate impact on Cloudcroft, Ruidoso and perhaps a little in Timberon.  It's also one reason I'm trying to get the other acreage as soon as I can, especially since the paved road into Timberon will be finished by next summer.

I figure if I pick up GS-13 by October, I'll be set.  I won't have to worry about relocating again, except when I retire, and that will be to either Timberon, or one of the mountain communities in the Lincoln NF or up on the Colorado Plateau.

We'll have to get together for a shoot one of these days.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I been in that area.  Can't say that I have been in that EXACT spot.  But, definitely close.  That's about 1.5 to 3 hours from me.

I got relations in Cloudcroft, and some others in Lovington.

TimW
Pheonix
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got relations in Cloudcroft, and some others in Lovington.

TimW
Pheonix

Cloudcroft is in serious bad shape for water right now.  They have been hauling water by truck up the mountain.  People all over the place have wells that are drying up.  It's ugly.

We are starting our football season off with Lovington this Saturday evening.  But we're playin gin Hobbs.......it's a loong, dumb story.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful!

I have lived in 9 states and 3 countries - and visited countless more - and truly believe New Mexico has the best combination of climate and beauty.  Someday I will probably end up in the Las Cruces area.  I envy you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I am envious.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top