Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 8:04:13 PM EDT
Is it legal for a PARENT to have a weapon with them, either on their person or in their vehicle, when collecting their child from a public school in the State of Arizona ? Assume that the parent has a CCW permit and is carrying concealed, and thus is not subject to the Federal "Gun Free School Zone" law. Further assume that the school has not posted any "No Weapons" signs.

So what does the law say: OK in the car ? Parking lot ? Anywhere ? Not under any circumstances ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it legal for a PARENT to have a weapon with them, either on their person or in their vehicle, when collecting their child from a public school in the State of Arizona ? Assume that the parent has a CCW permit and is carrying concealed, and thus is not subject to the Federal "Gun Free School Zone" law. Further assume that the school has not posted any "No Weapons" signs.

So what does the law say: OK in the car ? Parking lot ? Anywhere ? Not under any circumstances ?

Get thee to Dillon's or the next gun show and get a new copy of Alan Korwin's Arizona Gun Owner's Guider
(also at http://www.gunlaws.com/)

I have no financial interest in this.  Seriously...if you're going to be a gun owner here, get this book.

In a nutshell, Arizona law says parent can have a gun, in the car out of sight of the children and unloaded, on a campus.  Current federal legislation says you're hosed if you don't have a CCW.

I am not a lawyer, etc.  This is how I interpret it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reminder... I have this book (a few years old) but it never occurred to me to refer to it on this question. Duhh. I'll take a look at what it has to say on the matter.

By the way, I didn't think that AZ law differentiated between a "loaded" and "unloaded" firearm. Am I wrong in this case ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
another good place to check:

www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/arizona
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a Federal law that says no firearms withing 500 yards of a school, isn't there?

I carry on the school grounds anyway.  I figger it would be more dangerous to leave my weapon on the sidewalk, off campus, then to just keep it in the holster.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There's a Federal law that says no firearms withing 500 yards of a school, isn't there?

I carry on the school grounds anyway.  I figger it would be more dangerous to leave my weapon on the sidewalk, off campus, then to just keep it in the holster.

It's 1,000 feet of a school unless you have a CCW...so technically, if you lived across the street from XYZ elementary or High School, and had no CCW, when you took your gun out to your car, you were in violation of fed.gov law...or if you walked your dog, or even drove past/within the limit of a school.

The original law was overturned as unconstitutional, so the Congress did what it always does...passes another one just like it with a few words changed.  That one hasn't been challenged in court yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 1,000 feet of a school unless you have a CCW...so technically, if you lived across the street from XYZ elementary or High School, and had no CCW, when you took your gun out to your car, you were in violation of fed.gov law...or if you walked your dog, or even drove past/within the limit of a school.

The original law was overturned as unconstitutional, so the Congress did what it always does...passes another one just like it with a few words changed.  That one hasn't been challenged in court yet.

If his car is not on his property, yes.  The law does allow for firearms to be possessed and used on private property.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top