Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 2:56:13 PM EDT
I need to get out of this damn heat this weekend.  Can anyone recomend some good camping spots that are 2-2.5 hrs from the east valley and have descent fishing?  I usually go to the White Mtns. but it's too long of a drive.  I've been to Woods Canyon and Christopher Creek, but looking for somewhere different.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I need to get out of this damn heat this weekend.  Can anyone recomend some good camping spots that are 2-2.5 hrs from the east valley and have descent fishing?  I usually go to the White Mtns. but it's too long of a drive.  I've been to Woods Canyon and Christopher Creek, but looking for somewhere different.

Well, Willow Springs and Black Canyon lake are up the road on the 260 past Woods Canyon turn off. If you didn't know, there are 3 more lakes off the same road Woods Canyon sits on. Chevelon, Bear Canyon and Knoll lake... you just take the turn off the 260  Woods Canyon exit and proceed past the WC lake turn, it will turn to dirt and there will be signs a ways up the road.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Mt. Lemon is up there at about 6000 feet elev. and has a lake with trout in it.  really nice and woodsy up there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Oak Creek?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, Willow Springs and Black Canyon lake are up the road on the 260 past Woods Canyon turn off. If you didn't know, there are 3 more lakes off the same road Woods Canyon sits on. Chevelon, Bear Canyon and Knoll lake... you just take the turn off the 260  Woods Canyon exit and proceed past the WC lake turn, it will turn to dirt and there will be signs a ways up the road.

How much further to Chevelon, Bear Canyon and Knoll lake and is there camping around the lake like Woods Canyon?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much further to Chevelon, Bear Canyon and Knoll lake and is there camping around the lake like Woods Canyon?

Yes there is camping at all 3 of them. Bear Canyon is the closest to WC.. its probably 3-4 miles... the others are a bit further (not too far) but its a nice scenic drive.  Chevelon is in the opposite direction of BC and Knoll, but a bit further. If you follow the signs to  BC, you will see a sign pointing to the lake camp ground.. if you want to, just pass that up and keep going straight and it will take you to the Knoll turn off. This is FR 300 (General Crooks Trail) and if you follow it, it will take you all the way back to Strawberry. Its a nice drive. Last time I went through there, I got to see a bunch of burned up forest near strawberry... nice view off the cliffs etc..
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
mindtrix,
In your opinion which one do you prefer and why?  Also is there any place to shoot on the way or around there and nobody will get pissed off?

Thanks.
cp
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
mindtrix,
In your opinion which one do you prefer and why?  Also is there any place to shoot on the way or around there and nobody will get pissed off?

Thanks.
cp

I prefer Knoll, simply because its a bit further and alot of people don't like to go the extra distance (depending on weekend happenings). The fishing can rate from bad to good... But I mainly go there to camp and relax. There are several areas you can drive into to shoot and camp... you do not necessarily have to camp at the lake. There are several spots close enough to hike down there. As far as shooting, there are places to do so, but be careful, people will camp in strange places.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Just go to sycamore creek and hang out with white trash, meth heads on ATVs!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
... Invest another 1.5 hours driving time and go the Big Lake area. (East fork of Black River, Sheeps Crossing, Alpine, Greer, Lower Colorado) are all also within a 45 mile radius of the beautiful lake.

... You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... Invest another 1.5 hours driving time and go the Big Lake area. (East fork of Black River, Sheeps Crossing, Alpine, Greer, Lower Colorado) are all also within a 45 mile radius of the beautiful lake.

Is this Indian Res?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this Indian Res?

... No Big Lake is not, some areas nearby are however. Invest in an Arizona Atlas & Gazetteer. They're very comprehensive and handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top