Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2004 12:41:39 PM EDT
Anyone here have their CHL yet??

Just got mine Thursday, took 42 days, inlcuding weekends and July 4th holiday.

I read a news release that the DPS is now mailing out more licenses each week, than the number off apps they recieve.

I guess now I am legal.  No more relying on "professional courtesy."

God, this is nice!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
But isn't NM an open-carry state?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah.

It also a state FILLED with extreme liberals who lose their minds to the nearest LEO if they see a gun anywhere.

I never liked to have any attention drawn to myself.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know if NM recognises AZ CCW?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
AFAIK NM does not recognize any States CCW.

You must be 25yrs of age to get a CCW in NM,  most States AFAIK are 21,  so this alone will nix most reciprocity agreements.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

NM has no reciprocity agreements with any state.  They probably won't either.  I have been told that any agreement would have to go thru our state legislature.  More NM political BS.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I know its already a miracle we got the CHL passed here in NM, but any idea of the chance of getting it reduced to 21 like every other state?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]

I know its already a miracle we got the CHL passed here in NM, but any idea of the chance of getting it reduced to 21 like every other state?

Sure,  it starts with you organizing 18-24 yr olds to develop a voting block and then letting the PTB know you exist.

It CAN be done.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my NM CHL about two months after I sent it in. I sent it via UPS and tracked it. They mailed out my application two months and two days after they received it. They cashed my check for the fee the day after they recieved my license.  I think that the delay on my application had to do with my age, I just turned 25. I am suprised by the small number of people getting their CHL. I can't believe that some of the counties still don't have any holders.
I agree that it is definately nice to be able to legally defend yourself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NM has no reciprocity agreements with any state.  They probably won't either.  I have been told that any agreement would have to go thru our state legislature.  More NM political BS.....

I know a guy who knows a guy....anyway, it is conceivable that we could have some good things coming in the future.

(1) Instant 4473 approval (like most states with CHL).  The Attorney General's office didn't know this was allowed by BATFE, but it has recently been brought to his attention, and he received the idea very favorably.

(2) Reciprocity can come.  The hardest bit is over; we just need to push for incremental changes now (just like the antis).  Lower the age, reduce the alcohol restrictions to only places serving, etc.

Now if I just worked someplace that didn't prohibit guns on the property...  Oh well, I can CCW 2 days a week.

BTW, mine took 2 months exactly from the day they received it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know where the 25 age limit came from in the first place. Who suggested it, what their reasoning was (I can guess, but would be interesting to know what exactly they argued), and was it originally 25 or did it get changed in the legislative process?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Does anyone know where the 25 age limit came from in the first place. Who suggested it, what their reasoning was (I can guess, but would be interesting to know what exactly they argued), and was it originally 25 or did it get changed in the legislative process?

See, we let children drive at 16 with minimal instruction and little fear of prosecution for DUI.  That's why we have to be 25 to CCW and can't go into grocery stores that sell wine.  It all makes perfect sense.  

hint: legislators who know nothing about guns and shooting making laws about guns and shooting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I got mine back in Feb - took 28 days. It's the 29th one issued!

I have been in a gun shop that was under the impression that instant 4473 approval was in effect.

Join the NMSSA to support their lobbying for reciprocity. New Mexico Shooting Sports Association (And get a FL permit in the meantime! )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top