Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2004 8:03:19 AM EDT
i will be driving from AZ to colorado and going trough NM. what is their law reguarding pistols in cars?  thanks,scott
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
packing.org will answer these and other questions regarding ccw in all states.

Mike
suburban cowboy
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Just hold the pistol in your left hand and hang it out the window.  That way it's not actually IN THE CAR!

You just have to think outside the box.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
And make sure you use that hand to wave to the LEOs with!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that for New Mexico citizens your car is considered an extension of your home so you can carry your pistol any way you please here.  Dont know if that applies to non NM citizens though.  This isn't just something I heard this is off New Mexico's website for all the legislation.  Can't find the address for that right now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I spoke with a sheriff there two years ago regarding non-resident carry.  (At that time, I was still a WI resident that was going to be moving to AZ.)

He explained that the car was an extension of my home; any concealed or open carry would do.  However, he advised me to keep it holstered.  Upon exiting the car, the gun MUST be visible AND it can't go into any place that serves AND/OR sells- that includes gas stations.

They just got legalized shall-issue for residents; the law might have changed.  Want me to give a ring to a NM CCW instructor I know to find out for you?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I spoke with a sheriff there two years ago regarding non-resident carry.  (At that time, I was still a WI resident that was going to be moving to AZ.)

He explained that the car was an extension of my home; any concealed or open carry would do.  However, he advised me to keep it holstered.  Upon exiting the car, the gun MUST be visible AND it can't go into any place that serves AND/OR sells- that includes gas stations.

They just got legalized shall-issue for residents; the law might have changed.  Want me to give a ring to a NM CCW instructor I know to find out for you?

Mike

You hit the nail square on the head!!

from a NM boy....
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

You hit the nail square on the head!!

from a NM boy....

Yep, the new CCW permits give you one thing and one thing only: the "right" to conceal a handgun (defined as any weapon with a bbl <12") that you can otherwise legally carry openly.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top