Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2004 10:06:02 AM EDT
What if...
There are alot of us ARFCOM members in Arizona that have ideas about it. What if terrorist strike Az. Would we have an aternate plan for survival? Has anybody thought about possibly having ARFCOM members regroup in a specific location as well as our family for safety. Could it be feasible to secure an area for our continuous survival? I see several survival post but none for AZ. Why?

These are just a couple of thoughts that I have. If anybody cares to entertain these ideas lets here your thoughts.

To have a plan of action and an alternate plan is better than nothing at all. We all share two things in common... We're Americans and ARFCOM family.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
How about we start strapping tannerite to some soap dodgers?
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, there are only a few major highways into/out of Phx and Tucson, guess which ones will be clogged?

I hope those members in these cities have alternative transportation arranged.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
well if they really wanted to scew up infrastructure, its going to be either an airport, military base, or Raytheon in tucson(most of our missiles are built there)  
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Having a porous border does not help.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Having a pourious border does not help.

this is true and thats why I and many other people in AZland prepared for bad things to happen.  its an unfortunate fact of life here in the USA now that we have to worry about terrorism.  kind of like the cold war without knowing exactly who the enemy is at any given point of time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Having a pourious border does not help.

this is true and thats why I and many other people in AZland prepared for bad things to happen.  its an unfortunate fact of life here in the USA now that we have to worry about terrorism.  kind of like the cold war without knowing exactly who the enemy is at any given point of time.

Just for the record.

I am personally aware of arrests of severa; groups of Koreans and Chinese nationals from the Arizona border within the last two weeks.

This is not unusual, but few folks are aware of how porous the border actually is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
... IF the SHTF, I'm just gonna stay in. And if you're planning on coming over, call first
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What if...
There are alot of us ARFCOM members in Arizona that have ideas about it. What if terrorist strike Az. Would we have an aternate plan for survival? Has anybody thought about possibly having ARFCOM members regroup in a specific location as well as our family for safety. Could it be feasible to secure an area for our continuous survival? I see several survival post but none for AZ. Why?

These are just a couple of thoughts that I have. If anybody cares to entertain these ideas lets here your thoughts.

To have a plan of action and an alternate plan is better than nothing at all. We all share two things in common... We're Americans and ARFCOM family.

Somebody want to explain to me why terrorists would want to strike AZ? It's not like there aren't many high visibility targets a few hours west...

CW
Link Posted: 4/15/2004 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Somebody want to explain to me why terrorists would want to strike AZ?  It's not like there aren't many high visibility targets a few hours west...

CW

One of the best choke points to cut off East West traffic (I-10) is right here in AZ, not to mention multiple military bases, the state capital, a certain dam that if destroyed would take a certain city with it.

Heck Robo, why don't we just take over our work site?
Secure perimeter, generators, food, ammo, and weapons.
Or I could just stay home...
Link Posted: 4/15/2004 2:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is our basic plan.

We live right next to (less than 1mi) from HWY60 and the 101 will only be one block from us when it’s finished.

We will just through the important things in the car and either drive to our 40 acre retreat or to my parents in Bullhead city.

All the traffic will be behind us.
Link Posted: 4/15/2004 3:42:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I personally am ready and a few here know that I am and what I have. And they are certainly invited if something happens and they need to bug out. I would be willing to help out anyone here if they needed it.

I went "ape shit" for Y2K and never stopped!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If WMD occurs and there is a loss of electricity (and subsequently water) for 3 million people, in the summer, every highway leading north will be jam-packed.  I would suggest the bradshaw mtn area jeep trails that connect from north and northwest of town.  You could connect with the senator highway and drive into downtown prescott...

Link Posted: 4/23/2004 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
well if they really wanted to scew up infrastructure, its going to be either an airport, military base, or Raytheon in tucson(most of our missiles are built there)  

If you want to screw up infrastructure, you do it by cutting off the juice.  We live in an electronic age, everthing pretty much runs on electricity; computers, communication, commerece, you name it.  I wouldn't do it by blowing up power plants either, just cut off the artery at several stratigic places.  Power plants can produce all the power they want but if there is no way to distribute it, doesn't mean crap.
Every time the threat level goes up they hike up security at these power plants but what good is it if no one is protecting the means of distribution.  What's easier to do, attack something that can fight back or something that's sitting out in the wide open unguarded.  I worked for a power company for 20 years and this has never ceased to amaze me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using LotBoy's FAT head for shelter/cover!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm using LotBoy's FAT head for shelter/cover!!

Use your fat gut!
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Having a porous border does not help.

MASTER OF THE OBVIOUS!
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Read "Lights Out". You can find it at frugalsquirrels.com
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I've given this some thought after observing what happened during our gas outage.  The sheeple got NUTS after a day or two and it got UGLY in my locale after 3 days.  

The lack of electricity in and of itself doesn't bother me.  The lack of what electricity allows to work (WATER PUMPS, gas pumps, etc.) is what scares me.  The season will determine if I bug out and go north if SHTF.  If it's summer, I'm gone-- not only do I want to avoid heat without A/C, but I'm banking on dehydration taking a number of lives.  How in the hell will the water pumps work if there's no power?

My personal plan is to avoid the interstates as much as possible.  While US 60 is part of my plan, I do live 5 miles from the Pinal County border.  I don't figure too many folks are going to head due east on US 60 past Apache Junction, through Gila County, and then will break off in a northerly direction.  

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant. If I remember correctly it's the largest in the country of something like that.

Link Posted: 4/29/2004 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I Remember as a kid in the 80's watching some movie about a nuclear war here in the states.  I wish that I could remember the the name of the movie.  

Anyway we were talking about the high level of threat Arizona was.  I rember that they were telling us that Mesa, Tucson and other parts of the state had missile silos.  

We lived in Thatcher, AZ at the time.  I remember the teacher telling us how the mountains would protect us from the initial blast.  But we were in danger of the fall out.  Oh what a fun day in class.

Any of you remember where the silos were in Mesa?

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
There were never any silos in Mesa. All the silos are in the Green Valley area. I believe the old Williams Air Force Base did at one time have nuclear capable cruise missiles stationed there.

My high school JROTC commander had been a nuclear weapons officer in the Navy. He had tons of good info that he shared with us.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#22]
.... True.

... No missile silos in the Mesa area.

... However, Mesa does produce the 30mm M230 automatic cannon and the 27mm aircraft cannon is under development for use on the Joint Strike Fighter, few people know that.

Link Posted: 4/29/2004 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]

I am personally aware of arrests of severa; groups of Koreans and Chinese nationals from the Arizona border within the last two weeks.

Yep......the boys snagged some Koreans on the ranch very recently,  not common but far from unusual on the border as a whole.

If more folks only knew what the hell goes on down there....................

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a missle silo museum in Tucson.  You can buy a package deal at the Pima Air Museum to see the storage yard at the air base, the air museum, and the missle silo.  The whole take is pretty interesting.  You may have to put up with some idiot asking how many dogfights the SR71 logged.  The tour guide was very proffessional and said, 'Sir, this aircraft takes 200 miles to pull a u-turn."

Still, a great time.  Take plenty of water.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Prebans,

On your way through Apache Junction, stop by for a resupply and I'll try and talk you out of the 60 and consider 88 to Payson.  More water, less traffic.  And if the roads are jammed, the horses could come in handy.

Another Mike
suburban cowboy
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
.... True.

... No missile silos in the Mesa area.

... However, Mesa does produce the 30mm M230 automatic cannon and the 27mm aircraft cannon is under development for use on the Joint Strike Fighter, few people know that.

Now EVERYONE knows!
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#27]
W-W,

Where do they test fire the toys? I heard a rumor it was on the National Guard range near Florence.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#28]
The movie you speak of is called "The Day After".

Quoted:
I Remember as a kid in the 80's watching some movie about a nuclear war here in the states.  I wish that I could remember the the name of the movie.  

Anyway we were talking about the high level of threat Arizona was.  I rember that they were telling us that Mesa, Tucson and other parts of the state had missile silos.  

We lived in Thatcher, AZ at the time.  I remember the teacher telling us how the mountains would protect us from the initial blast.  But we were in danger of the fall out.  Oh what a fun day in class.

Any of you remember where the silos were in Mesa?

Mike

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Key to Survival in AZ will be H20.  Group purchase on water drums?  I'm thinking the shipping on one has to be terrible just because of the size.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
W-W,

Where do they test fire the toys? I heard a rumor it was on the National Guard range near Florence.

... Actually (there's a range less than 1/4 from my office), ATK (previously owned by Boeing) test all weapons on site prior to shipping.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What if...

Somebody want to explain to me why terrorists would want to strike AZ? It's not like there aren't many high visibility targets a few hours west...

CW

Az has the biggest nuclear power plant in the world in it , and we have the hoover damn, besides Phoeniz is the 5th largest city in the US.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Prebans,

On your way through Apache Junction, stop by for a resupply and I'll try and talk you out of the 60 and consider 88 to Payson.  More water, less traffic.  And if the roads are jammed, the horses could come in handy.

Another Mike
suburban cowboy

Well, go figure...  And here I thought I was the arfcom far eastern end of the Valley!  

I'm in the Sossaman/University area.  (Just barely Mesa.)  Where are you?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Prebans,
Due east, Mountain View and Superstition.  If anything weird happens in the valley and utility services where cut, I'm headed for the lakes.  Maybe I'll look for the Lost Dutchman's gold. Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top