Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2004 1:07:55 AM EDT
Phone lists now available, email or IM me if you would like to add your name.  Once your name is added, I will shoot an updated list to you.

Thanks

Scott
Link Posted: 2/14/2004 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well all right. Another Zia shooter here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2004 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Another for Albuquerque area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2004 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad has a house in Santa Fe. Does that count?

CW
Link Posted: 2/15/2004 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Way down in Las Cruces, reporting
Link Posted: 2/17/2004 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Albuquerque and shoot at Zia.

I really like AR15.com and the hometown forums and in fact own an AR15.  But I have to confess that I prefer to shoot real Battlerifles like my M1As and FALs.  These are much more useful rifles out here in the wide open spaces, unlike the urban sprawl of AZ :o)
Link Posted: 2/17/2004 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Pojoaque (halfway between Los Alamos & Santa Fe).  I shoot at Northern Rio Grande.
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Checking in from Artesia.  That's about 40 miles south of Roswell, where aliens DID NOT land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Checking in from Artesia.  That's about 40 miles south of Roswell, where aliens DID NOT land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes sir they did, It says so in the Bible code!

So there!  
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
If they land again... can we hunt them?
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell, everyone knows that all the aliens are in CA. Problem is, no hunting.

CW
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hell, everyone knows that all the aliens are in CA. Problem is, no hunting.

Aren't they considered varmints?
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Los Lunas checking in here.  I head east towards the Monzanos to shoot.  
We have a pretty active FAL group.  Several guys that tinker with FALS and ARs.  So far we've had a barrellin' party (FAL), a sand blast and park and BBQ party, a New Year's big bore shoot at Zia and a barrel cut and thread (FAL) meet and BBQ.  
Good group of guys.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Another one from Los Lunas here. Is Zia located near the back gate to Sandia/Kirtland? I've looked around for it but never have found it so I usually go rimfire shooting up near the Manzano foothills via the Manzano Expressway. For more serious shooting I will drive up to Socorro where there is a really nice range.

What is the scoop on the Zia range? Membership required? Fees? Range Masters? Locked gates?

I've been to the Albuquerque city range but find it to be necessarily restrictive.

A while back I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at one of the local gunshops announcing the pending formation of a Valencia County Shooting Sports Association but I have been unable to find any further info on this. Anyone else heard about this?
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 5:10:56 AM EDT
[#13]
To get to Zia get off interstate at Rio Bravo - go west to Broadway - go north on Broadway to Bobby Ellison - go east on Bobby Ellison - cross over interstate to stop sign.  Go north at stop sign (If you turn south this will take you to Journal Center).  After you go north at the stop sign the road turns to the east - follow for about 1 mile - you will come to a "Y", bear right - at the next "Y" bear left - this will take you to the Zia locked gate.  Membership required to get a key.  NRA membership required to get membership.  Total cost around $100 annual.  Benches, known distance ranges up to 500 yards I think...
At our FAL New Year's shoot we did allow a token AR15 shooter to shoot - after much heated debate of course... We felt it was only the fair thing to do for our caliber deprived brothers.!!  And of course this guy proceeds to clean our clocks with a loaned FAL!!! Quite an impressive display of shooting skills.  In addition to FALs our group also builds AKs and ARs.  One guy wants to machine the receiver for his own 50 caliber - he has the machine shop to do it too.  
Contact me if you want to get connected to the NM group.  [email protected] We're doing our own thing with our own maillist but keeping active on some boards - usually here and the Fal Files.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2004 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
We need to get together and shoot.
Damn shame I haven't met any of you.

Course, I wouldn't be able to attend till I get back from Georgia...whenever that is.

Anybody up for it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
What about those of us that are from Arizona, lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, moved back to Arizona and now spend every Holiday in ABQ because of family and friends? When I'm in town I used to shoot near the dunes off of I-40, but they closed that area down. Now I drive out to Rio Rancho, but development is moving in on my second favorite spot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We need to get together and shoot.
Damn shame I haven't met any of you.

Course, I wouldn't be able to attend till I get back from Georgia...whenever that is.

Anybody up for it?

That would be great; I haven't met any of the NM folks in person yet.  Some Sunday afternoon in the ABQ area would be perfect for me, but I'm flexible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2004 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I am in for any NM get-together.

Should we start trying to set up dates and times? It seems that for outdoor stuff, we should shoot for mid-spring or so. But if we want to go indoors at Calibers, I may have an in for having a "kill room" set up for us and I may be able to get a VERY tactical trainer there for some learnin' along with shootin'.

In addition, Caliber's has a classroom that we could get and have an 'after-action' review, and dinner catered by Dickies, or Quarters (both BBQ places). Then we could adjourn to Stoneface Tavern for some drinks and more comraderie.

If this sounds good, give me a holler here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2004 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I am so up for this!  I will be back in state in the next week or two. I think the Calibers Idea is great!  Although, I really don't ever shoot there, it could be fun to have the facilities.  I actually live in the Belen/Los Lunas area, so a trip to ABQ is not a big deal at all.  Where do most of you normally shoot.  I shoot at Zia, but only when I go with my buddy who has a membership.  I shoot mainly near the airport west of Belen, or on the east mesa east of Tome.  Would be cool to do an outdoor event as well, with BBQ.   We should get a phone list together.  Anybody want this responsibility.  If not I will take it.  Im me your number and I will start putting a list together.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/26/2004 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I shoot at my private range behind my mother's house south of Artesia.

Or all over the country in Eddy County.  My job takes me out and about everyday.
Link Posted: 2/26/2004 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Alrighty, looks like I am going to be making the phone list for ABQ area shooters (any other NM shooters who are interested in getting together with the group as well.  Just shoot me an IM Mail and I will get you on the list.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/27/2004 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#21]
La Cienega checking in(behind the Down in Santa Fe). I usually shoot in the middle of the plaza ass naked bumping a ghettoblaster and danceing to that song that goes abadabadabadi abadabadabadiii. But for real I shoot on the Camino Real(mesa w/ camal tracks). A NM gettogether would kick ass!
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Poll added, I sent out the phone list as it stands now.  Anybody got any ideas as far as the shoot?  Dates?  Times? Ideas in General?

Be cool to get a NM crew together.   Once a year head on over and hand the AZ crew there ARS in a lil competition.  

Just hope it's not a spelling bee.
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Pending the actual date of the event, I would be in.  I say that because I will be gone all of the second half of March.

Can you shoot rifles/carbines at Calibers????

I have been there twice to shoot 1911s.....didn't see anyone shooting long guns though.

Monty
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi ya'll. Another ZIA member checking in. I shoot 3-Gun at ZIA, but mostly do MBRs (FALs) for the rifle. (I still have my mouseguns though! :) ) Matches are the 4th Saturday and 2nd Sunday at 9:00 (set-up starts before 9:00).

Come and watch a match sometime and see if it floats your boat.

http://www.ziarifleandpistolclub.com/
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Calibers allows anything up to a .223, regardless of weapon type.

How about the first weekend of April, the third and fourth? Let me or someone else know.
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#26]
They use to allow up to 30.06, they must have chained.  First weekend in April sounds great.

What can I do?

Scott
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll have to check on that weekend.  Don't mean to be melodramatic about it.  It's just that I will have been gone for two weeks by the first of April.

And ABQ is a three hour drive.  But, I can let the wife hit the malls.......
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'll have to check on that weekend.  Don't mean to be melodramatic about it.  It's just that I will have been gone for two weeks by the first of April.

And ABQ is a three hour drive.  But, I can let the wife hit the malls.......

Hey, we can change, nothing set in stone...bring her!  Let the lady shoot.  Jeeez
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Would anyone be up for the best CCW class in New Mexico for that weekend? It would be a great chance to get our tickets and maybe save a little money.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Would anyone be up for the best CCW class in New Mexico for that weekend? It would be a great chance to get our tickets and maybe save a little money.

Let me know.

I am up for it.  Do you know what the final cost would be?  Estimation of course.
Link Posted: 3/15/2004 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#31]
You can add me to the lists....
Cheryl :)
Link Posted: 3/17/2004 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#32]
The normal cost for the course at Caliber's is $300.00, but I am in high-level negotiations with the instructor and the management at Caliber's.

My goal is to have the total cost be around the $200.00 mark. To achieve this, I will need a 'no-shit' list of all intending to attend the class. We will need 15 students to have a full class and get the best discount.

I will tack another thread to serve as a sign up sheet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2004 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm new to the board, wanted to check and say hello.  When are you guys going to do the Calibers shoot?
Link Posted: 3/24/2004 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#34]
McDobber,

Welcome to the board!

Caliber's has a 'fun shoot' every Thursday evening at around 6:00. Give me a call if you are thinking about showing up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2004 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll try to make it next Thursday, I have that day off.  I will bring my Bushie.

McD
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Hello folks, newbie here. Would be interested in whatever shindigs anybody can put together, although I must say my work / home schedule is a bit prohibitive (Friday afternoons and every other Monday afternoon I have free). Going to be at the Zia rifle and pistol club new member orientation tomorrow (4/5). I am a member at Caliber's and also an NRA member; I am new to AR's but not new to firearms in general.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Just shot the highpower competition at Zia on the 18th.  I was one of the few people shooting a M1 Garand.  I enjoy getting smacked around a bit.  I live down in socorro right now attending college there at NMT.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Long time member but just came across the "Hometown" section.  I live in Albuquerque.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#39]
i'll leave an open invitation to any of my fellow new mexicans to go coyote calling.  i'm in roswell...so if any of you are in my neck of the woods, let me know.  i've got a great place, with tons of coyotes.  working on coercing the location of, what i hear is, a huge praire dog town from a friend of mine.

chinga le
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top