Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 8:23:34 PM EDT
I plan on doing some AR & AK shooting int eh desert.

Any gunshops i should not miss?

Any good palces to shoot in the desert?

Do ya'll have CHL?  Reciprocity with Texas?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Im really intrested in seeing how many    "New Mexico" people respond to this.. seems like this is more of an Arizona board.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I replied on the general board, but I figured I would respond here just to outnumber the NM posters.

CW in CA
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey a NM guy checking in here!!!!

No CCW period.  Though if you are in Albuquerque, I would break the law and carry anyway....  If you are accosted by scum, take heart!!  APD has the best SWAT unit around.  Average 3 callouts a week, plus warrant services.

The gunstores are all over-priced to me.  If you do go to one, check out Precision Arms on Menaul, east of Louisiana.  Definitely the cleanest, modern store in NM.

Don't be shooting south of Alb.  The DOE and USAF don't take kindly to the remote possibility of gunfire in their area(s)!!!!  

Now, if you want to know where to eat, just say the word!!!  Let me STRONGLY urge you to not eat at any national chain restaraunts in Alb.  They have atrocious health records!!!

Monty
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im really intrested in seeing how many    "New Mexico" people respond to this.. eems like this is more of an Arizona board.
Mike

No doubt...  Probably because as a whole the people in this state own few modern weapons.  Everybody are hunters only.  Very few tactical minded people here in dusty NM!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I made it to Albuquerque! That a LONG Freakin' drive from Houston, TX.  15 hours & some beautiful scenery.  

Left at 1000 hrs and arrived at 0130.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy Crap!!  0130???  Where did you go when you got into town at that time of night???

Have you been to Rudys yet????
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to bed!  My Uncle left the front door open.  Actually, he was still up, but went to bed when we got there.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Another New Mexico member checking in.

I'll echo the earlier sentiments regarding shooting to the south of town, eating in chain restaurants, Precision Arms and the scenery.

How long are you going to be in town? Let us know and maybe we can have a small get together.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm stranded in northern NM for the holidays, so I'm up for a get-together.  

Regarding carry, does anyone with more experience have any feedback on the packing.org entry for NM?

Date updated: Wednesday, December 17, 2003
NM is an open-carry state. A non-permit holder may carry a visible firearm on his/her person.

New Mexico treats automobiles as your extended domain [resident and non-resident alike] and therefore, carry of a "concealed" handgun does not apply. Whatever you can do in your home, you can legally do in your vehicle.

Date updated: Thursday, July 3, 2003
Preemption or exemption laws are unconstitutional in the state of New Mexico. No local law can be made that supersedes any state law.

I take this to mean that open carry is legal anywhere in NM (except for private businesses that explicitly prohibit it) and that any kind of carry is fine in your vehicle.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  What kind of crap might you have to put up with at a traffic stop if the LEO sees a firearm?  I understand the officer wanting to be safe, but will he be an ass?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey SC-Texas I am also from the Houston area just alittle north of lake conroe(Anderson). We are also in Albuquereque for the holidays.They are right on the gun prices at the local stores they are high.
Dennis
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys,

Went shooting the past two days near the Double Eagle airport in a waddi next to the old gravel quarry.

Anyone been out there?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
You shouldn't need to worry about the cops stopping you.  If they ask tell the truth, if they don't ask, don't mention the gun(s).

I really doubt they will hassle you.  

I wish I had known you guy swould be in town.  I would have made plans to go up there.  My Christmas pretty much got ruined today by my wife deciding to go to her parent's house in Las Cruces.  Leaves me swingin' single thru Monday...

If you get a chance head over to Rudy's BBQ on Carlisle, just off I-40.  Right next to the NM State Police office.  Great grub there, no doubt!!!

Alb is a pretty liberal town, so I don't think you would go unnoticed openly carrying a sidearm.  

Monty
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm also from ABQ and it is sad that with so many gun stores in our city they all find it necessary to price their firearms at insane levels, MSRP or higher. Prices are usually non-negotiable at any of the dealers. I'll agree that Precision Arms is one of several gun stores with class but we also have one gun store that really gives me the creeps so I stay away from it.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Which gun store gives you the creeps?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Which gun store gives you the creeps?

Me too, Me too!!!

I am interested to hear your answer....
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I always wondered why used Glocks and Sigs are so expensive in Albuquerque and Santa Fe gunshops.
When I go home once or twice a year to Oklahoma, you can find decent used Glock 17's for 400 dollars all day long. The same gun here is 5-600 in may places.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#17]
"many places"
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I found two great gunstores and a building with a bunch of asstards in it that called ltself a gunstore/range.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I found two great gunstores and a building with a bunch of asstards in it that called ltself a gunstore/range.

So, you've been to Calibers, huh???  Come on, tell me I guessed right!!

If so, you are correct on your assesment.  I have shot there a couple of times, but not in the last two years.  They only hire dangerous, big-ego dorks there.  Now,  Ijust shoot at the APD Tactical Range.

Which were the gunstores you liked??
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Calibers sucked ass big time.

Fullautos.com aka augustin on Southern rocked.  They are easily the friendliest and the most interesting store in Albuquerque.

The Shooter's Den rocks also just for being friendly and willing to help two guys who walked in at closing and then chat for 15 or 20 minutes.

See my other post on this thread about gunstores.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Calibers sucked ass big time.

Fullautos.com aka augustin on Southern rocked.  They are easily the friendliest and the most interesting store in Albuquerque.

The Shooter's Den rocks also just for being friendly and willing to help two guys who walked in at closing and then chat for 15 or 20 minutes.

See my other post on this thread about gunstores.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]
So, how much longer are you staying???  What route do you take to get home??

Did you go to Precision Arms yet?!?  Or Absolute Arms.  Both are on Menaul.  

Eat anywhere cool???

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top