Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 2:05:36 PM EDT
Hey AZ arfcommers.  I'm driving from Abilene, TX to San Diego, CA starting tomorrow morning.  I am hoping to make the first stretch Abilene, TX to Tucson, NM....and hope to make it into Tucson around dinner time.

Anyone know of a campground that wouldn't be too far off of I-10?  Or even better...anyone want to let me park in front of their house? (I'm driving an Explorer that I don't mind camping out in)

Also, and perhaps most importantly...any local places to eat that you would recommend as "must go to" places in Tucson?

Unfortunately I won't have any "toys" with me because I'm driving out to drop off the car for my wife who is going to be in SD for a month, and then flying back to TX.

I would've checked here earlier but I was planning to stay with a family member in Las Cruces, NM...I just decided I'd like to get a little farther down the road before stopping...

Email is [email protected].  Put ar15.com in the title..or AZ or something so I'll recognize it.

I'll check my mail tonight and tomorrow before leaving and will try to check back here if I can.

Thanks for any help!  
Rob
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes, I hope someone told you Tucson is in Arizona, but not much further than Las Cruces, about 265 miles.  I am in Mesa, so I cannot offer the hospitality that you request.  BUT, I was born and raised in Tucson so have answers to two of your questions.

1.  For Quality Mexican food take the Congress St. exit to the right for 2 tenths of a mile to Granada.  Turn right and continue South for four tenths of a mile to Cushing St.  Right after that you should see "El Minuto Cafe" on your right.

2.  Retrace your steps back to I-10 and There is a KOA campground past the city somewhere shortly past Ina Rd.  Someone else might know something closer to downtown.

If you have a GPS I can give you nav points to the exits and the eatery.  

BTW, if you were just looking for a good place to have a beer, go East/right off of Ina about a mile and look for the Old Father Inn on the North side of the road.  Again, you are nearly past Tucson when you get to Ina Rd.

Have a great trip, and enjoy Arizona.
Dan
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dan!  Exactly what I needed.  I don't have a GPS but thanks for the offer of coordinates.

Well, I'm off... I've got plenty of CD's and audio books to keep me company for the next 2 days I hope to be eating good Mexican food tonight.

Thanks for the wishes..and I promise to enjoy AZ. My family lived there until I was 2 and after that we went back often to visit grandparents when I was a child.  For some reason it's always been the state I've thought I would want to move to if I left TX.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top