Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2003 12:42:20 PM EDT
I plan on going to NM towards at the end of the month and wanted to do some camping.  I will be all over the state so if someone has some favorite places I would love to hear them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
End of month...in November.....and you want to camp....I am assuming that you realize the temps are gonna be pretty low at night. Like 17 in or around Chama in the northern part of the state to a high of mid 30's in Carlsbad in the southern part.

Be that as it may, my favorite spots are in the Jemez area. In particular is a 2 mile hike from the highway following (and crossing about 75 times) the Jemez river up past the Jemez Falls to a great little secluded meadow that very few ever go. Even fewer will be up there during these cold temps. Jemez and the rest of northern NM will be pretty vacant until then end of April, 2004, with the exception of Elk and Deer hunters.

SO....if you are prepared for some cold-weather camping AND you do not mind being mistaken for a game animal by a bunch of semi-literate, hungover (or plain intoxicated), just-sighted-in-this-new-105mm-deer-getter, shoot at movement types that we call hunters here, come on over!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
End of month...in November.....and you want to camp....I am assuming that you realize the temps are gonna be pretty low at night. Like 17 in or around Chama in the northern part of the state to a high of mid 30's in Carlsbad in the southern part.

Be that as it may, my favorite spots are in the Jemez area. In particular is a 2 mile hike from the highway following (and crossing about 75 times) the Jemez river up past the Jemez Falls to a great little secluded meadow that very few ever go. Even fewer will be up there during these cold temps. Jemez and the rest of northern NM will be pretty vacant until then end of April, 2004, with the exception of Elk and Deer hunters.

SO....if you are prepared for some cold-weather camping AND you do not mind being mistaken for a game animal by a bunch of semi-literate, hungover (or plain intoxicated), just-sighted-in-this-new-105mm-deer-getter, shoot at movement types that we call hunters here, come on over!

Camping in the cold is not a biggie, however being mistaken for a 15 pt buck is!!!
Maybe i'll wait for the spring.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area is pretty nice, If you are in the area around Alamagordo.
Also the Three Rivers area if you like to hike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top