Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2003 9:21:09 AM EDT
Wondering if anyone knows of some good (legal) places to go shooting out side of Tucson city limits (east side preferred).

I know of reddington pass, but I hate the bumpy ride up there.

My dad and I used to have a few places when I was growing up, but most are now housing devopments.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the tack in this forum to ranges in AZ.  Ahs directions to 3 points range.  A very nice place.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Best I can reccomend on the east side is

Desert Trails
7777 East Valencia
Just east of Kolb and Valencia on the north side of the street.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually have a membership at Desert Trails, it is only a few min from my house.

What I'm looking for is places out in the middle of no-where.... where some co-workers and I can shoot up some old car parts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a decent spot off Houghton, south of the fair grounds east on the powerline road.

Some decent backstops if u drive in far enough.

Also a decent spot at the old nuke silo that has a nice backstop,  about 15 min from Rita Ranch on I-10.

Biggame223

Out

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The spot off Houghton is good.

Just south of I-10 on Houghton, look for gate on east side of the road. Go through the gate  and drive 3-5 miles down the powerline road until you find the pit off to the left.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good to me.

Now, is it legal to shoot there?  No residence or anything too close etc?

I would hate to get my ass kicked by a LEO for shooting out there :)
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have not been there for a couple of years, but when I have been there, I have never been alone shooting.

I don't know if it is legal, but it is well used.

[Edited to include the verb "is". Public education at its finest]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I think Redington is a no shoot posted area now. Sloppy shooters left too much trash. I shoot at Desert Trails since it's only a minute from my office. I would like a good place to go full auto, may have to try the S. Houghton spot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, I havn't seen any signs posted about no shooting at redington -- then again, I may of missed them on my way up.

My co-workers and I are good about picking up our leftover targets -- the printer we took out there last time took a good 15-20 min to pick up after a few hundred rounds ;)

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Redington is still leagal to shoot for now. I got stopped by USFS guys a couple weekends ago. They asked to see what I was shooting and what at. Basically he said as long as you pickup your trash he doesn't care. He mentioned something about some guys that had been shooting full auto up there that they were looking for. They apparently drug a car up there to blast away at and burned it at the end of their shoot (no to mention left it out there) They were chapped about that. I asked if they were going shut the area down to shooting and he said he wouldn't be suprised if that happened in the next couple of years.
~Ziess~
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't suprise me, I've heard full auto fire when I've been out there.

I've also seen a lot of empty beer bottles and cans left out there.

Figures people would ruin a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Any of you guys remember the "pit" up off Tangerine Rd. before it got shut down? I grew up on the north side and all of my old shooting spots are off limits now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]
ah yes, the pit on tangerine. if it wasn't for the dove mountain homes we'd still be shooting there. that was a great place, 10 mins from my front door!

after they closed that i moved west to the power line road and followed that northwest. there a  big wash that ran into the mountains that was good for shooting but that to is closed to shooting.

my new spot is in pinal county, anyone had any run-ins with the sherrifs in pinal? how are they about shooting?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top