Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 8:22:23 PM EDT
I'm looking at AR15's right now, but the three gun shops I've been to didn't have a whole lot of them on hand (IIRC). I don't want to have to drive all over town all day long just to get a good selection of things to look at. Is there a shop in the Mesa area that handles a larger number of AR's? I believe the Pistol Parlor had a number of them. I'm looking for a Bushy, if that helps any. Thank you.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If you looking for BM exclusively, and are ready to buy now, go to the show at the fairgrounds this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
AZ, I went yesterday. Nice to have it inside where it's air conditioned.

I'm not looking to buy right now, though. I'm mainly looking to narrow down my choices. The only BM's I saw yesterday were an A3 20" (I liked it but I think I'm leaning towards a 16"), and one of their new Shorties (the stock was made for children 12 and under, I kid you not. At least that's how it felt to a big guy like myself ). Prices were decent, though. Thanks!

Nick
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The BM shorty stock is the same as having a Tele stock collapsed. Its a great truck gun.

I think it would be your best bet to just buy a lower and then build it up yourself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
FNG, that's about what it felt like. I don't think I could handle that on extended shoots, though. I'd walk away with a terribly sore neck.

Also, I've considered building my own. However, I haven't had the time to really look into that yet and see what it would cost. Other than standard tools one would have at home, what else would I need to get in order to properly build an AR? It sounds like fun, but may take a while with other things going on. Thanks.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you start with a complete upper, you most like won't need any "specialty" tools. An exception would be installing a telestock assembly. Mounting a barrel to an upper can be done with "standerd" tools but not recommended, to protect you and your project.
In the AR section there is a thread on collection pictures. Check it out to see several configurations.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=165499
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you now or have you ever had an AR?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
AZ,
Thanks. I'll head over there and look things over.

FNG,
No. But I have a few close friends who know the system VERY well. Well, alright, not smithy well, but he is a SWAT veteran of some 5+ years. He's told me he would help me out if I ever got one.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I recommend you build your own, there are enough guys around Mesa that can steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I recommend you build your own, there are enough guys around Mesa that can steer you in the right direction.

I agree.You really only need a roll pin punch set($20) to install the lower parts(very easy) and you can buy whatever complete upper assembly you want.This would seem to be the cheapest route as well as being able to get the exact configuration you want.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, gentlemen. Now, when I am able to build the funds necessary to begin, will I have to get most parts via the net, or should I wait until a gunshow to get them? Also, are there any manuals or books I can get in the mean time that I can read up on that will instruct me on how to fit parts, lighten and smooth triggers, etc? And where would I get them? I know local shops and book stores don't carry them, but I could order them if need be.

I figure if you guys think it's that easy, I'll just read a book or two, get a parts diagram, and head out.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend Build Your Own AR-15 by Duncan Long(www.booktrail.com/Guns_Rifles/Build%20Your%20Own%20AR-15.asp).If you want quality lower parts,you can't go wrong with Bushmaster or DPMS parts.Brownells sells the roll pin punches but I'm sure a Home Depot would as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Red, thanks. I've bookmarked it until I can order. There are a number of others on there that look interesting. I appreciate it.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#13]
There really isnt any "Fitting" as in the sense that you have to "Fit" a 1911. AR's are pretty straight foward. Just start out with a stripped lower and go from there.

Ever consider giving Cav Arms a call?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
FNG, thanks! I had no idea that "ArmaLite" lowers made it out seperate from the actual gun. I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Also, I was pretty sure that if any fitting needed to be done, it wouldn't be on the same scale as the 1911. But I figured at least something would have to be done. I guess not. However, if I wanted to lighten the trigger, that WOULD require me to polish the sear or something, correct?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#16]
In my experience if your tuning a trigger it is more important to have a nice crisp 90 degree edge between all of your sear surfaces. Polishing does help but I think that as far as what really makes a trigger nice is consistancy in the break and no overtravel. Buy a nice set of Indian stones and eliminate any bevel that there may be between any contact points in your hammer trigger sear mating surfaces. Or just drop the $90 on a set trigger.

Good luck, and take it easy with the Dremel tool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. As you can tell, this is a new area for me. I need to look into trigger setups a bit, as I have no idea what does what or how. I have heard two-stages are nice, but I don't know why, or how they help, and being a very mechanically minded individual, this drives me insane. So, I'm off to the Build-it-yourself forum! Thanks for the help so far!

Nick
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Or, you could just buy your first one.  That's probably a better idea.  Buy a Harley? Nah, you could build it cheaper.  Buy a Jeep? Hell no, any idiot could custon build an old CJ from the frame up...

This is your first AR.  Odds are, you're not at the WECSOG amatuer gun smitty stage of your shooting career just yet.

Buy a Bushy.  That's what you wanted to do in the first place.

Scottsdale Gun Center on Scottsdale Road is consistently the cheapest BM dealer in town, and he'll get the model you want if he doesn't  have it in stock.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Rabid, I'm still looking into both. However, I can work on any form of airsoft equipment you'd like me to, and from some other sources, that's just as hard. Take a SV Infinity look alike down to the last screw? I got ya covered. Take an AEG gearbox apart and fix it? No problem. I do model aviation stuff, and work of their engines as well. I know neither is an AR, but both require me to manipulate small parts, and lots of 'em, and do it right or pay the price. So I think I can tackle this if I would like, but I am still looking both sides over.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Just remember, when Airsoft guns KB you dont end up with metal fragments in your skull.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey youggun, if you wanna build and would like someone to look over your shoulder, let me know.  I'd be more than happy to help you out with it and bring any tools you may not have.

IM or email me, Im in the chandler area.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
FNG, yeah, I know. I plan to have it looked over by a smith before I commit any lead to it.

TopCrest, thanks for the offer! I may have stated this earlier (but I'm not sure), but I've got a few months left until I can actually get my hands on any of this stuff. I'm only 17. Right now I'm trying to gather as much info on the subject as I possibly can. I'd like to make sure I get everything right the first time so as to avoid a Kb. If I can work on a car with my dad, I think I can build an AR lower. I will make sure to keep you posted on my progress and let you know if I have any trouble. I appreciate it.

For now, though, I'm kind of lurking on the Build it Yourself thread. However, does anyone have a Cav Arms lower? Are they worth it? I'd like to get my hands on one first before I buy one. I don't want to end up with something that doesn't fit me. Thanks for the help gentlemen! I really do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Scottsdale Gun Center on Scottsdale Road is consistently the cheapest BM dealer in town, and he'll get the model you want if he doesn't  have it in stock.

Ditto on that, He's given me some great prices.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Scottsdale Gun Center without a doubt. Ask for Steve, he owns the place. Bear Arms has a decent inventory. You might want to hold out for a MKII Cav Arms Receiver, it driving me crazy waiting though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys are awesome. I lurked these forums forever before signing, and I never though I'd get this much help out of them. Thanks! As soon as I know what my schedule is, Sinistral, I'll make an appointment and drop by.

Nick R.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top