Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/18/2003 9:11:45 PM EDT
I am a CCW Instructor for Arizona and Utah and I got a call from someone interested in a Utah class..He's an Arizona resident though...

His logic, and it makes sense, is that Utah has reciprocity with 18 states. Arizona only has 5. If you travel, it might be wise to get a Utah permit..I never thought about that until today.

Makes you wanna go ....hmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont ya have to be a utah resident to get a Utah permit?????
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope...You don't have to be a resident. About 6 months ago, the reciprocity agreement was canceled between our 2 states. It has been reinstated though, but you don't have to be a Utah resident to have a Utah permit. What else is cool, Utah training is only 5 hours and it is good for 5 years vs. Az being 16 hours and good for 4 years...No major differences in the law either except in Utah, you can go into restaurants that serve alcohol, just not places of worship...Obviously, if they're in Arizona, they would have to follow Az law so I would have to teach Az law as well in the class..
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
... I'm interested in getting a Utah CCW if possible.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not get AZ,Utah AND Florida so you're good to go in 23 states?

www.caswells.com/ccw.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... I'm interested in getting a Utah CCW if possible.

ME TOO!!!!      
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Well here you go fellas.

bci.utah.gov/CFP/insoutstate.pdf
It's a pdf file of the out of state Utah certified intructors, several in AZ.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well here you go fellas.

bci.utah.gov/CFP/insoutstate.pdf
It's a pdf file of the out of state Utah certified intructors, several in AZ.

I've never taught a Utah class before, but I might be coaxed into giving it a try...Since I would be winging it, maybe I'll just give whoever is interested the class for nada.. I still have to use my Arizona outline as far as teaching ya'll the difference between a revolver and a semi-automatic...Because I KNOW ya'll need to know those facts...

I have called Utah's BCI (where the permits are issued from) to request the forms..He said he would send them over a month ago. If ya'll are truly interested, I'll give him another call next week....

Utah's fees are $59, fingerprints and a letter of good character..Do you think you can come up with one of those? Permit is good for 5 years..

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I am so "in" and can get more than a few others to go in too.

D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am so "in" and can get more than a few others to go in too.

D. www.azexarms.com

Hey D,

Is your shop big enough to throw some chairs on the floor and teach this class if we can't find space?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in for sure!!! Also, my best friend will most likely go too.  Let me know when and where and if you need any help (I'll do what I can.)

Ian
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to be included, also ! ... and I might be able to talk my girlfriend into it (she passed on the opportunity to take the AZ CCW class when I took it - but is now more keenly interested. Plus, she has family in Utah that we regularly visit. Hell, her niece is Miss Utah!)

AZ_Redneck - please let us know the particulars if this thing's gonna fly! Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's some more info on the Utah CCW.
groups.yahoo.com/group/utah-ccw/Also check out this pdf file that has more info;
f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AC0bP-ORluJqol-abqNn8EWpreHKqphlWSttDP-Wlz3VgDUm2BjR8JSdY7El6ZeKZdUoqu0t0mKChuMWBo-A5vHvAkE/AZCCW3FOLD3.pdf

August 1
Event Name:  Phoenix Concealed Carry Class
Date:  Friday, August 1, 2003
Time:  4:00pm-7:30pm
Description:  Best Western Airport / Brighton Meeting Room
4:30pm Registration begins
5:00pm Instruction begins
Cost $100.00
2425 S. 24th St. Phoenix, AZ

August 2 In Phoenix
Event Name:  Phoenix CCW Class
Date:  Saturday, August 2, 2003
Time:  9:00am-1:00pm
Description:  Best Western Airport / Brighton Meeting Room
10:00am Registration begins
10:30am Instruction begins
Cost $100.00
2425 S. 24th St. Phoenix, AZ

Email me if you need more info.
Clark will be holding classes in Southern California as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Hawk1, mail sent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Also let me know. This will be nice to have 23 states to carry in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I will call BCI Utah tomorrow 7/21 and get the forms. I will try to get a place to have this class, but I wil also have to limit it to about 20 people since I have never taught a Utah class before. I have taught many Az classes though, but I am rusty..So, We can spend 4 hours together and talk about guns and the law. There isn't even quaification. If you don't have a CCW, you might want to get in on a AZ cass before you take this one since Az does get into more detail and I think a beginner needs the added instruction. A few of you said your girlfriends or wives might be interested in this class. Let's see how the 1st one goes if they don't hold a current CCW. Remember, AZ CCW teaches a lot on justification and fundamentals. I will be suprised if we can cover everything in 4 hours as it is. We might because I won't have to show you videos which takes up time in the 16 hour class.

Now, I won't charge a fee since I will be doing this for the 1st time. I'm not familiar with Utah Law and I will bone up when the time comes, but I might have you guys teaching me a few things I might charge a buck or so to cover my cost of xeroxing the Utah law pages on firearms so everyone can have one.

Well, I said I won't charge a fee for the course, but ALWAYS feel free to donate cash or ammo or magazines or give me a discount on a new firearm when I am buying one, etc...No expectations though...

Anyone know of a place where we can throw down 20 chairs for 4 hours and fondle firearms? (Dare I use that word!) I'm in Casa Grande, but I will travel..I got my truck painted, so I don't look poor anymore

So, we need a place and 20 of you who already have a AZ CCW (Or equivilant) and we're good to go..(Oh yeah, we need the forms too..) I think you can print them from BCI's site, but I don't have a printer...

Give me a day or so and I'll start a list of those interested...
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Will there be an  AZ class between now  and the Utah class, for those who have neither but want both?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok..I have one better..I just found out that if I run people through the Utah class that already have an AZ permit, we only have to review Utah law...Makes for an even shorter day. Reason being is you already have the fundamentals from your AZ class...woo hoo!

Carbine10, I know it's after 11am, but answer your phone....We gotta work this out here...

We could actually do this at a restaurant. NO drinking until the class is over..Whadda ya think? But, you MUST already have an AZ CCW...

Go to the caswels site above and look at the Florida and Utah package WITH a AZ CCW and tell me that's not what it says...
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I already have a Arizona CCW! You can count me in on that class for sure! I'll keep an eye on this post for more info!  
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hawk1, mail sent.

Nothing received on this end.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Damm Kali hijacking our thread. Let me see pay 100.00 or pay nada. I think I'll go for nada with AZ-Redneck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Damm Kali hijacking our thread. Let me see pay 100.00 or pay nada. I think I'll go for nada with AZ-Redneck.

Hijacked?? No, I was just pointing out what it would cost if you had to take the class here or in Arizona with Fair-Warning. Also, Some may not be able to attend the free class, this gives them another choice and more information. You should be kissing Az_Rednecks' ass for him doing this class for free. Yet you want to get on me for pointing out what it would normally cost. That 117+ degree weather out there is cooking your brain boy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#23]
OK fellers...Spoke with Florida today..I am now officially a Florida Instructor.. So, who wants their Florida CCW too? 23 states with the AZ and Utah combined...Almost 1/2 of the Republic..

Utah hasn't got back to me yet..I'm still waiting for the forms. We can print them off the computer, but I don't know if the various police dept's will supply fingerprint cards. I know AZ DPS will supply them, but that's for AZ only and they are marked as such...

When we do this, we have to go over the various state laws...Not a whole lot of difference. I'm gonna need someones help with printing out the CCW laws of Utah and Florida since I do not own a printer nor a copy machine...

carbine10 has volunteered to do some printing for me...I just don't know if he's up to doing volumn's of law books for you knuckleheads...

So, once I get forms from BCI and Florida, we're good to go. Remember, this is for people who already have their Arizona permit...Otherwise, they have to go through the 16 hour Arizona class first. We still need a place to do this too.

So, who's in? (And no, I'm not asking anyone to kiss my ass as stated above. I am doing this because many of you have helped me in the past or let me shoot their toys at the shoots and gosh darn it, I like you!) Donations will gladly accepted though
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I would love to be part of your little hybrid CCW course.  Please let me know what's up...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

...So, who's in?

... me
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#26]

So, who's in?

I am in for sure!  And yes, I do have my AZ CCW.  Like I stated before, if you need help let me know, I'll do what I can (Although I don't know what I could do...)

Let me know when and where!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in ... if you'll have me. I can volunteer to help print some materials from electronic versions (with enough lead time), but have no access to a photocopy machine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm definetly in! 23 States WOW!!! My neighbor will most likely be in also! I dont know what I can do to help but I will definetley donate to help pick up expenses! Damn, now I'm all excited! I sure hope this works out! Anything I might be able to do to help let me know!!

By the way Az_Redneck is my new hero!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#29]
*Update*

I received applications from Florida with fingerprint cards and copies of their law, so as far as Florida is concerned, we're good to go.

I have a copy of Utah laws, but it's 29 pages and a 3 page application and a certificate. We're talking 33 pages per person times 7 cents a copy at Office Max and we're talking $46.20 just in copies. So, rather than make all those copies, bring a pad of paper and take notes as we go over the differences in the laws. If you want a copy of the law, log onto BCI's website and print one out. Otherwise, I have to charge for the copies and we're trying to keep this as free as possible. Carbine10 is copying 20 copies of the Utah application because Utah won't send me any. I just have to find out where I can get fingerprint cards from. I'll give BCI another call tomorrow.

I am limiting this to 20 AR15.com members (You don't have to be a paying member, just a contributing one) who already have their Arizona CCW permit. If you don't have your Arizona permit already, we'll talk about getting it for you. It's a 16 hour course.

I'm open to times and places. AzExArms said we can use their facility, but I need to see what time and date is convenient for him. Are weekends or weeknights better for you guys? Would you rather meet at a place like Famous Sams? (There won't be any firearms in this class so we'll be ok)

I will start a list of those who want to attend. If your wife, husband, neighbor, girlfriend, etc. want to attend, and they have their Az CCW, but are not contributing members on AR15.com, let me know and I will put them on a waiting list. If I don't get 20 people who want to attend, they will be invited. Please understand, I have to give priority to AR15.com members right now. If I get too many people wanting their permits, I'll arrange another class at a later date.

I don't want to start a poll, so please IM me with your name and email address if you want to attend and let me know if weekends or weeknights are better... I'll give it until next Thursday, 7/31, for names. After that, the non-members will be invited if I don't have enough people. Once I hit 20, I will notify you and let you know if you'll be included in this class or another I might have to arrange.

If you have access to a copy machine and 600 pieces of paper you want to donate to the group, we can have copies of the law for everyone. Let me know..

I know Winston and Carbine10 and others said they would like to come, please IM me and let me know what time is best for you...

(Dear Lord, what did I get myself into? )
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Woo hoo! I'm in and IM sent!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#32]
IM already sent.  Also made a note in the IM about some copies....
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got this from DPS today:

"We are still working on issues involving the implementation of House Bill 2353, which primarily addresses reciprocity and recognition. I recently completed a study of this issue as it pertains to Arizona and other states' permits. This study will soon be submitted to the Director of DPS and then
likely forwarded to the state AG's office thereafter for an opinion. The primary issues at hand are what (for other states) constitutes a "firearms safety program" and a "criminal history record check."  Once we receive an
opinion from the AG's office, we will post a list of states that qualify for recognition/reciprocity not later than September 18th, which is when this bill takes effect. The list is expected to contain 5 - 28 total states (of which up to 20 may recognize/reciprocate with Arizona), again depending on the guidance we receive from the AG's office. Please do not contact this
office for details of the study or our recommendations, as they will not be
provided at this time. I will tell you that the recommendation is favorable to expanding recognition and reciprocity."

Do we want to wait until September 18th to see if this goes through before ya'll spend $59 for Utah and $117 for Florida plus prints and pics for both states....???
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#34]
... I can wait.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I say we wait...  Might want to get a list of those who already "signed up" in case more people want in later.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
AZ_Redneck you never got back to me on the issue of taking the class before my 21'st.
IM me please.

[EDITED: Oops ok if you do it on the 18th I will definately be there.]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:45:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
AZ_Redneck you never got back to me on the issue of taking the class before my 21'st.
IM me please.

[EDITED: Oops ok if you do it on the 18th I will definately be there.]

I asked and I got a response. I guess I never posted it huh? Anyway, I got an email back from DPS and it's on my laptop which took a sh*t on me this week and I fired up this old desktop which hasn't worked in 6 months and it miraculously (sp) works! Wait till the 1st monsoon where we lose power..I'm scared to shut this thing down...

Anyway, DPS said yes. You can get trained for your permit up to 6 months before your 21st BD..You just can't GET your permit until you are 21...That's basically all it said as I remember...If/when I get the laptop up and working, I'll forward their response to your email..Sorry for the delay, I forgot...
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Marking my spot!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll do it. weekends are better, since there will be a drive. BTW what city would the class be held in, if it is held?

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

... what city would the class be held in, if it is held?

... Waikiki
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... what city would the class be held in, if it is held?

... Waikiki

Hawaii is not a gun friendly state...

But, if you're buyin, what the hell, I'm there!

Poi is a Weapon of Mass Destruction!
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#42]
btt

i know it is not yet the ~18th, but it is september now, and this thread was getting pushed way down
......status ? comments?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing yet..Still waiting on notice from the gods at DPS...I'll let ya'll know when I know something...

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I am very interseted in this class.  I just sent an IM @ 9:30pm 09-08-03.  I am a newbie but i still want join you all.
Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Dammit, to be 21.  *Sigh*  Two more years...

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm in. Except for 10/5/03 - 10/14/03 in which case I'm out (of the country)

I'm pretty sure I can bring 6-12 other AZ CCW holders with me, given enough lead time.

I can also probably help with a location, depending on what is acceptable to yourself and the majority. I've got clients with square feet available all over the valley.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Still haven't heard anything from DPS..Deadline is the 18th when the legislature kicks out some ruling....

If I don't hear anything by the weekend, let's plan this for next week some time (when it's convenient for Derek)

Those of you who can't make it to CavArms CCW class, I'll try my darndest to set one up. The problem I have is 90% of you live 40 miles north of me and if we're going to get in 16 hours, we need to do it here in Casa Grande somewhere... I could have it at my house if some of you are willing to drive 3 evenings in a week for 3 4 hour classes and 4 hours at the range on a saturday for qualification and the written test...How many of you need renewal? That's only 4 hours and we can bang that out in one night...(No pun intended) ..But damn, I feel bad and owe those of you who asked me and emailed me and IM'd me about the AZ CCW an apology...I haven't been in the best of health lately and I have laxed in my duties to you guys here...

And had I known I could squeeze $125 for a CCW outta you, I would have had 10 classes, even if I had to sit in a wheelchair.. That's some serious cash... But, when you snooze, you lose...Next time...

But in the meantime, those current CCW holders wanting their Utah and Florida permits, let's see what DPS says in the next few days....
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#48]

I hope this wait turns out to be a good one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm damn sure in as long as it doesn't occur 10/5 - 10/16 when I'm out of the country.

Car pool anyone?

SD
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok..I heard from DPS..Not good news as far as Arizona reciprocity..It hasn't changed... But, the states that we recognize has. I won't know what those are for a few days..

So, here's the plan..I have exactly 25 applications for both Utah and Florida with fingerprint cards to go with them...We don't need to meet at Gadsen's. We can meet at a Famous Sams and have some wings and beer (or diet cokes, iced tea, etc), because there won't be any firearms involved. Since you guys will be REQUIRED to already have your Arizona CCW to participate in this, all I have to do is go over the differences in their state laws to ours and sign their form.... You have already been through the fundamentals that are important...

Gadsen already has an application reserved, so we're down to 24. I want to limit it to the guys/gals that are members here and when I say members, I mean are frequent users of this board. If I don't get 24, I will go from a waiting list. If you have a friend that is not a member of AR15.com that wants permits in these other states, let me know and then SIGN HIM UP ON THIS BOARD

Now, I suggest that everyone here that is in this group, log onto bloomfieldpress.com and get Alan Korwin's book on CCW's in all 50 states..It's $9.95..Reason being is I have never taught anything other than Arizona CCW's so I might miss something...I want you guys to know everything you need to know...

How is this Sunday the 21st around 5ish somewhere in the East Valley.. Someone know of a place? Gadsen will be out of town this weekend so I will save his for when I see him next week some time...

Ok..the list....

Here's who I have interested so far:

Sailordude
Gadsen
mjrowley
Carbine10
Winston_Wolf
AZGunnut
Ianq
Dry-Heat
TreeTop
TopCrest
innocent_bystander
Eagle1911

That's 12...Can take 13 more..Please reply here in this thread so we can keep a tally..My IM and email get really clogged up and I don't want to miss anyone...Also, I need to hear from you if you can't make it so I can give someone else your app...

Other info:

My fee for doing this is $0..

Utah CCW Permit requires $59, 2 fingerprint cards, a photo, and 2 character references. Permit is good for 5 years.

Florida CCW Permit requires $117, 1 fingerprint card and is good for 5 years

Paul
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top