Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2003 11:16:11 AM EDT

...and a phonecall or letter thanking them for supporting an amendment to pull the US out of the UN.

Link to Contact  Your Representative Here

Vote to leave U.N. fails in House

Ron Paul amendment goes down 350-74

An amendment to a foreign aid bill that would have pulled the U.S. out of the United Nations failed yesterday in the House of Representatives by a vote of 350-74.

The amendment was sponsored by Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, a libertarian opponent of foreign aid and the United Nations as well as a strong supporter of the U.S. Constitution.

Those supporting the amendment included:

Flake,
Franks (AZ)
Renzi,
Shaddegg,

NOT VOTING: Hayworth [???]

It's also being discussed in GD here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=196195&page=1

My representative Jeff Flake, R-AZ voted for it.

So did John Shaddegg, R-AZ - one of the original "Young Turks" from the '94 Republican Revolution.

We also got 'yea' votes from Trent Franks, R-AZ and Rick Renzi, R-AZ.

But I notice another '94 Young Turk (J.D. Hayworth, R-AZ) didn't vote - what's up with that Winston-Wolf?

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0715Hayworth-UN15-ON.html

Weightlifting injury sidelines Hayworth
advertisement

Billy House
Republic Washington Bureau
Jul. 15, 2003 04:10 PM

WASHINGTON - Rep. J.D. Hayworth watched helplessly Tuesday from a hospital as his U.S. House colleagues defeated his amendment to cut United States payments to the United Nation's regular budget.

The Arizona Republican was checked into the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., Tuesday morning. He said by telephone that he was admitted because of painful swelling and inflammation in his right wrist.

Hayworth, a former sportscaster who turned 45 on Saturday, said he initially believed the injury stemmed from a weight-lifting workout 10 days ago.

"I thought it might be a wrist sprain," said Hayworth, But he said tests at the hospital also indicated a possible internal infection in the wrist. He was expected to remain at the hospital until at least Wednesday morning, and surgery has not been ruled out, said his spokesman, Larry Van Hoose.

As Hayworth was undergoing tests and treatment at the hospital, he was relegated to watching the defeat of his amendment as the debate over whether to slash U.S. payments to the U.N. was broadcast on cable television's C-SPAN.

In Hayworth's place, Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, appeared on the House floor to offer the measure as an amendment to the Foreign Relations Authorization Act for 2004 and 2005. But the measure drew opposition from a key House leader, International Relations Committee Chairman Henry Hyde, R-Ill.

Hayworth says his amendment, defeated 187-237, was designed to alter "a free ride at our expense" by the four other permanent members of the United Nation's Security Council, France, China, Russia and the United Kingdom. Like the U.S., they have special veto power at the United Nations as members of the council, but pay significantly less in annual U.N. assessments.

Hayworth's proposal emerged just months after the United States failed to win Security Council backing for the war to topple Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq. France headed opposition by threatening to veto a resolution authorizing the war.

His amendment would have cut U.S. payments to the United Nations regular budget to no more than the highest amount paid by other permanent Security Council members. This year, for instance, King told his colleagues, the U.S. payment would have been cut from $341 million to the $100 million paid by France, the council member that now pays the second-highest dues. Meanwhile, Russia pays about $19 million; China $24 million; and Britain about $83 million.

The amendment would not affect U.S. payments for peacekeeping operations.

Hayworth and King say the current assessment structure is even more objectionable because these other members of the Security Council regularly vote against U.S. proposals.

According to State Department records of Security Council votes in 2002, China voted against the U.S. position on issues of importance 80 percent of the time. Russia opposed the U.S. position 78 percent of the time, followed by France and the United Kingdom at 50 percent, King said on the House floor.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
... Will do during business hours tomorrow. I've met Jeff on a couple occasions. Like JD Hayworth, he is very pro-2nd
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've met Jeff on a couple occasions. Like JD Hayworth, he is very pro-2nd

I've called him many times over the last six months and written too, left my name and address and asked for a written response to my inquiries about his positions on gun-control in general and the AWB specifically.

Nada.

Just called him again today to express my support for his above vote and AGAIN ask for his position on gun-control & the AWB. Staff worker took my name & address - AGAIN.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
... Very odd. I've even seen him at a couple RKBA rallies; one with JD.

... If I were to make a guess at it, I'd suppose he's laying "middle-road low" after the natural gas vehicle tax exemptions that just about buried him last year.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... Very odd. I've even seen him at a couple RKBA rallies; one with JD.

... If I were to make a guess at it, I'd suppose he's laying "middle-road low" after the natural gas vehicle tax exemptions that just about buried him last year.

I'm not aware of that controversy! That's news to me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top