Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2003 9:15:10 PM EDT

This afternoon we heard a damn big "BOOM" that rattled the house a bit.
Turns out it was this:

Explosion at rocket plant slightly hurts 3

The Arizona Republic
Jul. 3, 2003 03:45 PM

Workers at a rocket-manufacturing plant in Chandler touched off an explosion Thursday that slightly injured three employees, including one who had to be hospitalized.

Authorities said the workers were pressuring a rocket motor with helium when the motor broke apart, sending pieces of it flying. The explosion at Orbital Science, 3380 S. Price Road, blew out windows of an adjoining building of the plant.

Some neighbors reported hearing the explosion, but there were no other reported injuries or need for evacuation, Chandler Fire Battalion Chief Dan Couch said.

The one worker transported to the hospital was taken there for observation purposes, authorities said.

Orbital Science handles defense contracting work, and the work that led to the explosion Thursday was believed to be routine.

I think that plant is around Price/Queen Creek rd just west of Ocotillo. That's over a mile from my house but it still seemed like an awfully big boom from up here.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
... Wow, I just read this. A lady friend of mine works as an engineer there and I haven't spoken to her today. Nor did I hear anything about it from a couple buddies that work at that plant. I'll have to call them tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top