Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 7:43:45 PM EDT
... Almost exactly 14 days after you hear the cicadas'(Genus Cicadetta) peculiar clicking or buzzing chirp we usually get the monsoon rains.

... When you guys first begin to hear them please let me know in this thread.

... Cicada's song. In force, you usually just hear the constant "clicking" not the cycles you do here.

... I love Arizona monsoon seasons, this will give me just a little more incentive to finish this job on the east coast and come home. Woo Hoo!

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Started hearing them yesterday in Scottsdale.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]

I just hope they are real monsoon storms this year. I'm tired of the fake ones clouds, wind, blowing dust but no rain or big lightining. Monday's high is to be 116 degrees.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I just hope they are real monsoon storms this year ...

... True, however above the rim it normally always rains somewhat during the monsoon season. I will not go "up north" in the summer before hand. Too dusty and dry, the flora is a tinderbox too. Once the rains come, that all goes away. Ponderosa pines just look happier even. Streams fill, temperatures drop a bit and there's few things more exhilarating than a thunder / lightning storm on the Rim in August.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been living here since '87 and July 4th seems to be a magic number concerning the begining of monsoon.
AB
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]
When we were kids we would tie thread around their necks and fly them around having dogfights.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When we were kids we would tie thread around their necks and fly them around having dogfights.

I did the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
... You guys grow up in Tempe? We did that and played non-stop Army.

... I think these early beginnings molded my interests in Army Aviation as an adult.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Heard them Saturday, 6/28.

Won't be long.

Those palo verde beetles were fun to play with too.

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, walked out the door right now, and what did I hear.
A couple of Cicadas buzzing in my ear.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from a one week camping trip to White Mountains and I was disappointed by mother monsoon. Usually rains like crazy up there this time of year. Barely sprinkled a couple of days. I hope this is not an indication of a poor monsoon.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
We had rain about 10 days ago down here on the border.  Lots of clouds since, but nothing falling out of the sky.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, walked out the door right now, and what did I hear.
A couple of Cicadas buzzing in my ear.

... OK, then mark my work. You'll see monsoon rains by the 21st.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I am in Silver City, NM about five hours east of Pheonix. We had them here a few weeks ago really thick. They seem to have done there thing and are gone now. I washed all my trucks and left the windows down the first time I saw a rain cloud but no rain yet. The past few weeks in the evenings we have been getting dirt storms and clouds that look like they have moisture in them. It has spit a little moisture but only enough to get the dirt to stick to.

cruizer
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I heard some of those bastards about 5 days ago. We almost had one at the airport tonight, but it didnt quite get there. Last year was horrific. I was at work when the big one tore the airport apart, and I almost got crushed by a 130,000lb airplane.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
It rained like hell at my place yesterday:
WOOHOO !!!!

It's already humid as hell, and going to get real hot again,,, well, real hot for Prescott Valley.

Looking forward to a repeat.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#17]
 I think it rained in Tempe for about 5 minutes....I was too busy falling in love with the record store girl to notice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

... Add fourteen (14) days and; WALLAHHHH!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice rain.  Bad wind.  Gotta nail some more shingles back on the ranch house.  Third day in a row.  I wish I had a masonary roof!

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
... Frick! Right when the meteorologists I kinda trust predict the biggest chance of a real  monsoon to hit (tomorrow), I'm be flying back east again. Damn, feels like I live on airplanes sometimes.

... Take notes for me while I'm gone, this is my favorite time of year in Arizona!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#21]
They have been buzzing for the last two weeks already.

Now get yer butt back home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top