Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 8:14:05 AM EDT
I live in Arizona - specifically - in Anthem (just north of the Carefree Hwy) and was curious as to the laws regarding shooting out in the desert.  I know that Ben Avery is near me, but if I wanted to just go out to a desert area, what are the laws regarding where I can do that?

Also, is there any specific place around Anthem (preferably north of Anthem - Table Mesa Rd?) that's a great place for shooting?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to be careful of being inside city limits and the ban on shooting in Tonto National Forest.

www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/Rec_rogs/shoot_rog.htm

www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/shooting/general_shoot.htm
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
... I'd recommend you do your homework very thoroughly. More often than not it's nearly impossible without a GPS or compass and a good map to determine where you're at. Laws differ from the private owner, BLM, State Trust, National Parks, State Parks, Reservations and such.

... Not doing so could get your Ruger 10-22 conversion confiscated post haste.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]

jtb33,

Just head up I-17 HWY to Table Mesa Rd.. About three miles North of Anthem. Exit Table Mesa and turn left at stop sign going over I-17.  Make first right. You'll be heading North on West side of I-17. Pavement will end about a quarter mile keep going on dirt road to the first fork in the road. Either way you go you'll eventually see a BLM sign. Before these signs is State Land/No target shooting on State Land. BLM land is okay for target shooting as long as you pack out what you pack in. Same for National Forrest Land except Tonto National Forrest is off limits for target shooting.
 If you go left at the fork BLM Land ends at cattle guard. That starts Lake Pleasant.

innocent_bystander thank you for the map of Tonto National Forrest.

jtb33 if you want e-mail me and we can go up this weekend.   Dave
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Forgot about the state land up there Carbine 10.

Arizona State Trust lands are not public lands such as National Parks or Federal Forests. Any use of State Trust land requires a permit from the Arizona State Land Department with the following exceptions: (1) a valid Arizona Fishing or Hunting License allows the individual (only) to be on Trust land while actively and legally engaged in the permitted activity; (2) certain archaeological activities approved by the Arizona State Museum.

Activities not allowed include, but are not limited to, target shooting, sighting in of weapons, paint ball, fireworks, extended camping, visiting archaeological sites (historic and prehistoric), metal detecting, removal of natural products (rocks, cactus wood, soil, and plants, etc.) For additional information call (602) 364-ASLD (2753).
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
So BLM land is OKAY to shoot on (even without permits)?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes BLM and National Forest land are both okay to shoot on. Except for closures. Such as in the Tonto National Forest posted above by innocent_bystander.

No permit needed. Just follow the rules. Such as No shooting over roadways or over bodies of water. No shooting within quarter mile of homes, cabins, campsites, or livestock. Always be sure of your backstop and beyond it. Always pack out what you pack in. I'm sure you get the point now.

jtb33, I won't be able to shoot with you this weekend. I'm going up by Flagstaff to confirm a spot for next months shoot.  AH COOL WEATHER!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Carbine10 - thanks.

I did find this tool that helps find BLM areas, and let's you (er - let's ME) know which areas are State Trust (not legal to shoot in).

sco.az.gov/website/arizona/viewer.htm

also the contact info for the AZ BLM:

azwww.az.blm.gov

Not that anyone here needs this, but I thought it might be a good reference for future *newbies* who are in my position and want to find a legal place to go shooting in the desert.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Carbine10, whenever you do want to go shooting, let me know.  I don't have much in the way of weaponry right now - only a slightly modded Ruger 10/22, Beretta 92 and a Maadi AK-47.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
... Make sure you're on BLM and not Indian Reservations. There's a big difference.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#9]
That's correct.  Up here near Anthem, there's no reservations, so we just have to watch out for State Trust Land, which is confusing since it's usually intermingled with BLM land.

The link I provided shows all the land types including BLM, Forests, State Trust, reservations, private land, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top