Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 2:03:18 PM EDT

Any of you Tucsonians got any property up there?

How's it doing - ya'll okay?

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw it from the air today.  Amazing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
... I've caught bits and pieces on national news out here but not the coverage you fellas are prolly gettin'.

... Where exactly is this?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was out riding the motorcycle last night and was coming up from Green Valley and the mt. was lit up from the flames.  Spooky and kinda cool in a Dante-ish way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother lives on Old Spanish Trail, not too far away. Think I'll give him a call.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was out riding the motorcycle last night and was coming up from Green Valley and the mt. was lit up from the flames.  Spooky and kinda cool in a Dante-ish way.

Yeah, mountain wildfires at night from a distance are eerie. I remember when the McDowell Mts north of Scottsdale went up bigtime many years ago.

Of course if you're actually right in it - then it's REALLY "Dante-ish".

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't mean to lurk guys but just some info, my engine strike team I used to be on in Wyoming was unofficially told that there is a strong possibility that they will be deploying on this fire sometime next week.  It looks like since this fire has destroyed so many structures it is the priority fire for the resources.  One of the problems that they are having is the  altitude, I guess that is why they are requesting resources from the mountain states to assist.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, it's pretty grim.
I live in Florence, and can clearly see the smoke coming off the mountain.
Now there is some fear that it may spread to the lowlands, including the town of Oracle.

Edited to add:
WW, Mount Lemmon is the mountain that Tucson has grown around, During the winter there are ski slopes and other winter sports.
There is also a small community named Summerhaven, but it is pretty much gone due to the fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top