BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2003 4:13:01 PM EDT
Tucson Citizen
May 6, 2003

Ariz. Senate: Gun shows safe, wholesome
The Associated Press

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/local/5_6_03gun_shows.html

PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate is on record opposing regulation of firearms purchases at gun shows.
The Senate passed a resolution yesterday recognizing that gun shows "provide a safe, historical, valuable and indispensable community service for those citizens who choose to exercise their constitutional rights."
The resolution added that the shows "should be protected from those who would further regulate, encumber or eliminate them through a campaign of misinformation."
Also, gun shows are "wholesome family events that generate substantial positive economic and commercial impact on the state and its political subdivisions," the resolution said.
Todd Rathner, a Tucsonan who sits on the National Rifle Association's national board, said the resolution sends a message to federal legislators.
"I think that the resolution will not have a practical effect on gun shows, but I think it has a symbolic impact," Rathner said. "It tells Congress that gun shows are a legitimate and wholesome activity and that they should not be regulated out of existence."
Arizona is the first state to pass such a resolution, he said.
Gerry Anderson, a Phoenix resident and executive director of Arizonans for Gun Safety, testified against the resolution.
"I think that it's a real shame that the state Legislature would take the position that they support an unregulated secondary market," he said.
"I think they're being absolutely ridiculous."
Regulating gun shows would not affect the industry, and Arizona is among the top 10 states exporting guns used in crimes, Anderson said.
"We know that background checks stop criminals from purchasing guns," she said.
Sean Hammond, a board member for Citizens of Arizona to Prevent Gun Violence, and Tucson City Councilman José Ibarra, who last year argued in favor of background checks for gun dealers at shows in city facilities, did not return calls for comment last night.
Elliot Glicksman, president of Citizens of Arizona to Prevent Gun Violence, declined to comment.

Tucson Citizen reporter Eric Sagara contributed to this story.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice to see that some in the Senate have not sold out to special interest and lobby groups.
As TREETOP said, life is good in the land of the free.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
God I love Arizona!!!! Notice the local anti's didn't have a thing to say. They just recieved the proverbial B--ch slap.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Now if we could only ship McCain off to Kali, we would be doing alot better.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
McCain is an example of polotics bringing out the worst in people. He went from Fighter Jock and POW to a sniveling little retard who has made it his personal mission to piss off the entire state.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
McCain is an example of polotics bringing out the worst in people. He went from Fighter Jock and POW to a sniveling little retard who has made it his personal mission to piss off the entire state.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah...It's unfortunate too. When he first got into politics, I had high hopes for him. Now the very sight of him has me breathing into a paper bag. Damn shame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top