User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
SB 215 was passed 8-5...

- there were two republican amendments adopted
- three democrat amendments were tabled (shot down)

- so, the bill will be reported to the next house session, and can be voted on by the full house...

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't have many details, but from what I can see:

1. Expands the definition of 'dangerous ordnance' to further restrict what firearms can be legally owned and carried for self-defense.

2. Puts language into the bill that would enable law enforcement to detain you and possibly seize your gun.

This is from OGO, so don't take it as gospel. I have no idea how seriously these amendments are being discussed, but it can't hurt to tell the legislators to push the bill through with no amendments if we're contacting them anyway.

View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
SB 215 was passed 8-5...

- so, the bill will be reported to the next house session, and can be voted on by the full house...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
SB 215 was passed 8-5...

then back to the Senate floor for Concurrence,
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SB 215 was passed 8-5...

then back to the Senate floor for Concurrence,

correct, ...but first things first, we have to get the house to pass it...
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
folks, looks like session is scheduled for 1PM tomorrow (wed).   i would presume that the committee's passage of SB 215 would be reported, and eligible to be voted on the floor...

let's get all hands on deck to show support!

1. contact your house critter: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislators/house-directory
2. contact Speaker Cupp to urge a vote and passage:
Speaker Bob Cupp
(614) 466-9624
https://ohiohouse.gov/members/robert-r-cupp/contact
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I hit a few new ones.  New version of the same email.  Feel free to use the same arguments or add suggestions.

Please do your best to push through SB215 as is with no amendments ASAP.  Put an end to local Sheriffs standing between the people of Ohio and their god give rights.  Many do not have 10 hours to spare on a weekend, time off from work to beg the Sheriff, and the extra $ required for the license and worthless courses.  The fears of lawlessness in the streets are the same lies we heard when trying to pass licensed concealed carry many years ago.  This time, same as last, many other states are far ahead of us and are not seeing the doom and gloom we are told to fear.  
Please urge your colleagues to do the same.  Quell the lies from the opposition.  Afirm the peoples rights to self defense.  
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
SB215 was amended to remove this language:

"(C) The mere carrying or possession of a handgun that is
not a restricted firearm pursuant to the right described in
divisions (B)(1) and (2) of this section, with or without a
concealed handgun license, does not constitute grounds for any law enforcement officer or any agent of the state, a county, a municipal corporation, or a township to conduct any search, seizure, or detention, no matter how temporary in duration, of an otherwise law-abiding person."

All they needed to do was pass the bill out of committee, send it to the floor for a full vote and then plop it on DeWine's desk.

Instead, the Republicans watered it down to appease the FOP. If it passes the full House vote now, it has to go back to the Senate and we get to start the same process of debating in committee all over again.

Am I missing something? This seems like a big step backward to me.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SB215 was amended to remove this language:

concealed handgun license, does not constitute grounds for any law enforcement officer or any agent of the state, a county, a municipal corporation, or a township to conduct any search, seizure, or detention, no matter how temporary in duration, of an otherwise law-abiding person."

All they needed to do was pass the bill out of committee, send it to the floor for a full vote and then plop it on DeWine's desk.

Instead, the Republicans watered it down to appease the FOP. If it passes the full House vote now, it has to go back to the Senate and we get to start the same process of debating in committee all over again.

Am I missing something? This seems like a big step backward to me.

View Quote

when i watched the video of the committee, i recall one of them saying that the bill's sponsor (which, i presume would be Sen. Johnson) was in support of the amendment....    i'm suspicious too, i'm waiting to see what BFA's analysis is of the situation...

good news is:
if the house passes the bill (keep in mind, amendments can be voted on from the floor as well, ...and we've seen them do that in the past), the senate will have to address it...   instead of going through the committee process in the senate, they'd likely convene a conference committee to work it out and go to the floor for vote (we've also seen them do this several times in the past, and is not unusual in the legislative process)....
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]

excellent!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:16:22 AM EDT
[#11]
c'mon folks, ...let's light it up!!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#12]
From OGO:

Dear DaveyDug --

This afternoon, Ohio House Republicans again capitulated to the Democrats and took a sledge-hammer to Constitutional Carry.

When it comes to gun rights legislation, it’s very important that we use language that makes sure anti-gun prosecutors and liberal judges can’t abuse gun-owners.

Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse.

That’s why we deliberately included this language when we drafted Constitutional Carry:

This language is very standard in other Constitutional Carry states.

OGO included it in our Constitutional Carry drafts because we know that gun owners need protection from anti-gun mayors like Nan Whaley or Andrew Ginther, who are very willing to order their police departments to target lawful gun owners.

As you’ll remember, the fight for Constitutional Carry started out this General Assembly as HB227 by Representatives Tom Brinkman and Kris Jordan.

After Republican House Majority Floor Leader Bill Seitz ran an amendment to gun major portions of HB227 last fall, OGO switched our Constitutional Carry focus to SB215.

One of the main reasons why we did that was because SB215 still had the protections against unlawful search and seizure mentioned above!

To be clear, the entire Ohio Senate has already voted SB215 out of the entire Ohio Senate with the robust protections I referenced.

All House Republicans had to do was leave the bill alone and pass it as it was.

But they didn’t.

Instead, as we confirmed today, House Republicans ran an amendment for the corrupt, anti-gun Ohio Fraternal Order of Police (who have testified against every single pro-gun bill since Ohio Gun Owners was founded in 2016), and gutted those protections out.

This is 100% unacceptable.

Without this very important paragraph in the bill, the only prohibition on rookie cops detaining a firearms carrier and searching them and seizing their firearm so that they can conduct an investigation is Ohio’s very loose Terry stop law.

And in an age where prosecutors and mayors have proven themselves capable of being corrupted and agents for a liberal agenda, that doesn’t cut it.

That’s why we are urging everyone to contact all of the numbers listed below immediately and demanding they FIX Constitutional Carry BEFORE it comes to the floor tomorrow!

Time is of essence, so please contact them quickly:

Speaker Bob Cupp: (419) 230-2668
Speaker Pro-Tem Tim Ginter: (330) 692-2049
Majority Floor Leader Bill Seitz: (513) 382-8281
Majority Whip Don Jones: (740) 391-5025
Assistant Majority Whip Cindy Abrams: (513) 266-2599

Of course, they’re trying to defend their willingness to cut a deal, but they should be ashamed of themselves.

The Senate already did the right thing, it’s high-time that House Republicans grow a pair of testicles and do the right thing themselves.

Contact them NOW!

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there a short and sweet way we can tell them about what language to put back in? It seems they would be unfamiliar about what was taken out.

Do we know what Repubs conceeded to have this language removed?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know which Republicans supported the amendments. I'm not even sure what the other amendment is, though I suspect it has something to do with defining what a dangerous weapon is as I mentioned above.

It sounds like our best option is to push the House reps to remove the amendments at the time of the floor vote.

The language we want them to put back in is:

(C) The mere carrying or possession of a handgun that is
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Now the fake anti Rinos that are also Rinos (Rep. Vitale) are saying because of the amendment they will just vote no and be done.
They are convincing conservatives it's for their own good because of how awful the amendment is. No mention of just removing it.

Rep. Vitale also voted against the bill to restrain Dewines medical power saying it was worthless and we needed a better bill so he was helping us by voting against it.
Well it passed and it seemed to restrain Dewine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#17]
some of the democrat reps are wearing a daisy on their shoulder?!?...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
HERE WE GO!!!!

SB 215 being considered for vote!!!!

Shane Wilkin opening debate...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Wilkin:
- 4th amendment protections still apply... need reasonable suspicion of crime...
- bill drafted to keep limits same as for CC w/ license.
- Sen. Johnson (sponsor) was in constant correspondence w/ the committee...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#20]
democrat proposed amendment:
- a 1 pg. brochure (training guidelines?) be distributed by FFLs to customers...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
democrat's amendment tabled...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
next democrat proposed amendment:
- ...sounds like "universal background check"
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#23]
democrat amendment (universal background check) tabled...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#24]
next democrat proposed amendment:
- ..? sounds like "red flag" law...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#25]
democrat "red flag" amendment tabled...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
some of the democrat reps are wearing a daisy on their shoulder?!?...

View Quote

Sunflower for the Ukraine thing? I'm not sure what it meant or why they are doing it. But it looks like a sunflower.

Oh and watching live! Tabled means, it got voted no right? Just making sure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#27]
joe miller (D - amherst):
- complaining about the number of pro-gun bills this session...
- says he "protects the 2nd amendment, but this goes too far"...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#28]
SB 215 vote (passes):

57 yea - 35 nay

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes! So it goes to Dewine now?

"""I'm a gun builder so I'm so an expert on someone's moral and thinking abilities just based on theirs action in an CCW class. I dictate who can have what!"""" lololol
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sunflower for the Ukraine thing? I'm not sure what it meant or why they are doing it. But it looks like a sunflower.

Oh and watching live! Tabled means, it got voted no right? Just making sure.
View Quote

"tabled" basically is how a proposed amendment is put aside from consideration (i.e. shoots them down)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes! So it goes to Dewine now?

"""I'm a gun builder so I'm so an expert on someone's moral and thinking abilities just based on theirs action in an CCW class. I dictate who can have what!"""" lololol
View Quote

not yet...  

...the original SB 215 (as passed by the senate) was modified in the house committee...  the amended SB 215 is what just passed the house...  therefore, the two legislative chambers will have to come together to work out the differences (conference committee?), and then, at least one of the bodies will have to have a floor vote...  

...for a bill to be eligible for enactment, it (exact same bill/language) must have passed both legislative chambers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm having a hard time seeing this as a good thing.

I guess we'll see how the Senate handles it.

Republicans snatching defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time seeing this as a good thing.

I guess we'll see how the Senate handles it.

Republicans snatching defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

View Quote

...TBD, but it's not unusual for them to modify bills and then either have the other body bring it straight to a floor vote, or convene a conference committee to work out the differences and then floor vote...

i'm interested in what the bill's sponsor (Sen. Johnson) thinks of it, ...but Wilkin claimed that Johnson was in correspondence w/ the committee process...   if Johnson, and other pro-gun senators, are in agreement w/ the house's changes, i could see them bringing the amended SB 215 straight to a floor vote in the senate...   passage there would finalize it, and would go to the governor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

...TBD, but it's not unusual for them to modify bills and then either have the other body bring it straight to a floor vote, or convene a conference committee to work out the differences and then floor vote...

i'm interested in what the bill's sponsor (Sen. Johnson) thinks of it, ...but Wilkin claimed that Johnson was in correspondence w/ the committee process...   if Johnson, and other pro-gun senators, are in agreement w/ the house's changes, i could see them bringing the amended SB 215 straight to a floor vote in the senate...   passage there would finalize it, and would go to the governor.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm hearing that the Senate may be voting on this very shortly.

Putting things in perspective, this is still a huge win for Ohio.

But why the hell did Republicans feel the need to neuter this bill?

What was the other amendment? There were two, correct?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#35]
wow, BFA is quick to the draw!  ...already have a post up!

BREAKING: Ohio House Passes Constitutional Carry Bill
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm hearing that the Senate may be voting on this very shortly.

Putting things in perspective, this is still a huge win for Ohio.

But why the hell did Republicans feel the need to neuter this bill?

What was the other amendment? There were two, correct?
View Quote

here's my transcript of what went down w/ these two amendments:

swearinger: amendment 1342688:  reaffirms qualification for permit less carry meet same standards as those carrying with CHL...  may not be a fugitive from justice, ...cannot be convicted of violence/assault against peace officer, falsification of a CHL...
[approved unanimous consent]

swearinger: amendment 1342670: law enforcement may continue w/ "terry stops" if reasonable suspicion of a crime...

swearinger: sponsor of the bill has agreed to both amendments...

...so, they are indicating that Sen. Johnson was in communication w/ the committee leadership and in agreement w/ the amendments...
...if true, then i'd suspect that the senate is prepared to do a concurrence floor vote on the amended bill once it's reported to them...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]
senate is currently in session, on a momentary break right this minute...  

...i think they might be able to do a concurrence floor vote on the amended bill today!!!!

...from what we've heard, if true, the senate sponsor was working w/ the house leadership which would indicate that the senate may already be prepared to do a floor vote for concurrence on what the house just passed minutes ago!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]
call your senate critter now!!! (tell them house has passed amended SB 215, will be reported to senate, possible floor vote)

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislators/senate-directory
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Senate President Matt Huffman
(614) 466-7584

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm afraid I'm not following. Is the bill still neutered, or was it de-neutered by putting the removed language back into it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

here's my transcript of what went down w/ these two amendments:

swearinger: amendment 1342688:  reaffirms qualification for permit less carry meet same standards as those carrying with CHL...  may not be a fugitive from justice, ...cannot be convicted of violence/assault against peace officer, falsification of a CHL...

swearinger: amendment 1342670: law enforcement may continue w/ "terry stops" if reasonable suspicion of a crime...

swearinger: sponsor of the bill has agreed to both amendments...

...so, they are indicating that Sen. Johnson was in communication w/ the committee leadership and in agreement w/ the amendments...
...if true, then i'd suspect that the senate is prepared to do a concurrence floor vote on the amended bill once it's reported to them...
View Quote

Thanks!

Ok, the first amendment doesn't seem to be too troubling.

I wish they hadn't pushed through the second.

Sounds like the Senate is ready to act on this immediately,  so Dewine should have a bill to sign soon!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm afraid I'm not following. Is the bill still neutered, or was it de-neutered by putting the removed language back into it?
View Quote

Still neutered by removing language preventing LEOs from harassing people with guns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Still neutered by removing language preventing LEOs from harassing people with guns.
View Quote

What would be better starting from scratch, or trying to fix this later?

I'd like to know who voted to approve the language.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#44]
senate is back in session, ...reporting house business and considering concurrence of house business!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fixing it later is the way we'll have to go. We had a great bill, now we have a good bill.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

no, we want this to make it through, ...sounds like the senate and house were coordinating somewhat behind the scenes...  see my earlier post on what the amendments were...  i don't think Sen. Johnson would sell us short...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#47]
HERE WE GO!!!!!

amended SB 215 being brought up for immediate consideration (concurrence)

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Sen. Johnson opening debate...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Sen. Johnson addressing the house amendments:

- 1342688: clarifies original intent of bill; make explicitly clear, CHL carry and non-CHL carry qualifications exactly same...   clarification language, does not weaken bill...  
- 1342670: clarifies original intent of bill; LEO can still conduct "terry stop", but also ensures 4th amendment right still protected...  this is merely clarification language...

SB 215 was written by Sen. Johnson and Don Parsons, ...not written by any advocacy group...

Sen Johnson: "i agree with the amendments, makes it a better bill"...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

no, we want this to make it through, ...sounds like the senate and house were coordinating somewhat behind the scenes...  see my earlier post on what the amendments were...  i don't think Sen. Johnson would sell us short...
View Quote

I've read but it's still unclear to me what happened.

Coordinating to neuter?

Page / 10
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top