Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2021 4:51:40 PM EDT
Looking at trying my hand at a new shooting sport, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were in regards to what type of shotgun would be best for these type of activities. I hear in comps some of the people get annoyed with semi autos chucking shotgun shells at everyone, and over under are generally the way to go and universally accepted in all competitions. Just wondering what the Ohio HTF Hive thinks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Trap shooting, definitely get a single shot, single barrel. The Browning BT-99 is the best choice available.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Over / under for all clays sports IMO. Simple and more versatitle with ammo and separate chokes for each barrel.. First choice would be the Browning Citiri CXT if I didn't find a great deal on a Winchester 101 30" pigeon grade and had it cut to fit me still 2/3rds of a new Citori.

But plenty of serious competitors shoot semis (mostly Berettas), certainly in Sporting Clays and Five Stand too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
We're taking the scout clay shooting in a few weeks.  Don't goto Vances'.  I think I might have bought them out of their dove/clay rounds.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
for the aficionado, ..definitely over-under...
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
All depends on your wallet and how serious you want to get.  You could certainly run what your brung the first few times.

I only go maybe once or twice a year.  Never bought anything specifically for the sport.  My primary choice for sporting clays is a 45 year old remington 1100.  For skeet, it's the 20ga ruger red label my dad bought 30 years ago.  He never liked the gun, but since I do, he never sold it. If I ever got more serious about it, I'd get a nice single for trap.  But take it for what's it's worth, I don't own any $3k or $4k shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shot at Hill-n-Dale yesterday. Over/unders ruled the day for the serious guys. I had a cheap Berretta semi borrowed from the club (Boy Scout event). I didn't like the action when it cycled. Too twangy.
View Quote

Is that the Hill 'n Dale on Poe in Medina?  I haven't been there since '98.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
AL right then.. something i can speak to, I shoot in ATA competitions all year as well as Skeet and Sporting clays

trap, most all use Over under  32" min barrel But,, 30" can be used   but 30 inch not ideal for handicap trap  Trap guns all have high ribs and that is for a reason.  To long to explain lots of info out there about that subject

sporting clays  I use both. Semi and O/U depending on the course. I have a Browning CX with 30 inch barrels and Beretta A400 with 30" barrel. ( duck hunting practice with the high flyers)

Do not buy a field gun for these sports unless you are purely interested in practice for hunting, If you want to compete you need and competition gun

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, and it is an absolute blast.
View Quote

I knew someone who owned property that bordered the club.  Sometimes their pheasant would roam onto the property when I was fishing.  Id always hear them shooting back there, and get a little jealous.
Unfortunately for me, they sold the property a couple of years ago.  I thought about buying it, but it needed a lot of work.

I did get to visit the club through an invite a few times, and it always seems pretty nice.  I was still in high school, so I didn't have the money to actually join.  I'd be interested in going again, but I see they aren't taking new members.  Sport-shooting with a shotgun is one thing I've never gotten to try, but I'd love to learn.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to all for the great insight. I'll defintiely take this into consideration...I think I might try to find a reasonable over/under.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're just going to give it a try, take whatever you are the most comfortable shooting to see if you enjoy it first.

I only ever go every now and again, (my brother is big into trap and sporting clays) and also shoot off a thrower once in a while at our farm.

I use an old Stevens 311 SxS my grandfather gave me when I was 8.

It definitely isn't anything like what anyone would ever recommend, but I have been using that gun since I've been old enough to hunt.

I can shoot well enough to have fun with, and many times embarrass, my brother who shoots a caesar guerini.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#13]
OP I don't know what part of the state you are in but if you near Butler county hit up Mike Freedland (sp) at Upward Spiral.   My brother and step-dad both took lessons from him to get started and it was well worth it.  He supplies everything, you use his guns and ammo so you can see what you may like.  I don't have contact information but google will find him for you.

JLE
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I started shooting skeet and sporting clays like 5 years ago.  I bought a used range gun rental Beretta A300 Outlander and used that for my first year.  It was a great gun and I never had an issue with it.  Even with some ultralight reloads I made up.  After the first year I knew I would stick with it, so I spent 6 months looking for a used Browning Citori O/U.  I picked one up that was really clean, manufactured in 1994.  I love that gun.  It was about 55% less than buying buying new.

I love sporting clays.  I'm not that great, but it's a lot of fun to go out and shoot with a buddy.  I shoot a lot at Blackwing.  Used to shoot at cardinal center but they've really toughened up there courses.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool. Blackwing was where I thought about going as I'm in the Columbus area. We didn't have an open to the public trap range like this back in Illinois that was so close...I'm a big precision rifle shooter, but with 2 kids I'd like to be able to something for an hour or two as opposed to all day so I thought this would be a cool avenue to explore.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea I'm seeing that as well unfortunately...I did find 1000 Large Rifle primers so I may just hold out in the Precision Rifle side of things..I just may shoot for distance for fun, and only do one or two competitions a year since they tend to be all day affairs...
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]
A pallet of Win AA shells at Blackwing. $139 per case $$$$.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The big issue is going to be finding shells.  I usually buy the walmart bulk packs for clay busting.  Currently unobtanium.  Hopefully, these clay shooting venues are keeping some on hand.  My plan between now and our pheasant hunt in November is to shoot enough to convince myself I'm proficient and no more with my dwindling supply.
View Quote

I just got back from a trip to South Dakota.  The lodge I stay at has a sporting clays type range for warm up.  (It’s like a hunting… resort.)

They normally have 4-6 pallets of 12 and 20s. Two or more pallets of trap loads, one pallet of game loads for those who don’t bring their own.  This year they had about a 1/2 pallet of each and we were the first group of the season.  

The farm / fleet store Runnings near there sells ammo, because it’s in the golden triangle of pheasants. Normally tons of shells, every flavor, brand, by the pallet.

I got a flat of federal “dakota country HV” 5 shot 12ga. Never seen federal under that label.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Cowans Auction house has a number of shotguns both semi and O/U on an auction that is coming up.  I think it's an online auction, check it out at www.cowans.com.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top