Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good luck!

Are you hunting right next to 33? I can see the sign and light pole.
View Quote

yep you see the Carroll exit my ladder stand is about 250 yards from the road. they bed down in the in the field and move to the corn field that is behind me.

Nothing tonight.  had to call it early, the kids are coming over and they are bringing Pizza .
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Round 2.. Moved to front of fields... 50 lbs of tasty corn with apples awaits some lucky deer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It's been a pretty damn good week fellas!

I've never owned a muzzleloader, so I talked to a guy the Thursday before the muzzleloader season started who either has everything or knows someone who does.  He found me one that afternoon.  I brought it home Friday.  I had a job interview with a new company right after I picked it up (will be relevant shortly).  Shot it twice Saturday to check zero and make sure I knew what the heck I was doing .  

Sat in the blind Monday, but didn't see anything.  Had to work Tuesday, so I figured my muzzleloader season was over.  That afternoon, I got a job offer from the new place!  I came home in good spirits because the job offer was pretty solid.  As usual when I get home from work (especially gun seasons) I looked in the fields surrounding my house for deer. Didn't see anything.  Decided to go to basement to work out.  Halfway thru my workout something told me I should check the field one last time.  4 deer in the field and fairly close.  I snuck out of the house, grabbed the muzzleloader and range finder, threw a primer in and snuck to the corner of my yard.  I have small hills from where they dug my pond so it provided some concealment to get closer.  Army crawled to top of first hill.  It was after 5 and light was fading FAST.  175 yds.  Doable, but not in that low light with a gun I've only shot twice.  Crawled down and moved to next hill.  They had started to move somewhat towards me in the meantime.  2nd Hill: 104 yards.  Going hot!  Touched one off and dropped it right where it stood.  

Since buying this house on 5 acres in the middle of fields, it's been on my bucket list to shoot a deer from my own property.  Between the job offer and getting my first muzzleloader deer from my yard, I was on cloud 9.  The next day I talked to the new company to negotiate the offer.  A new offer letter came in Friday.  They raised the offer another 10k, bonus eligible and 5 weeks vacation.  Best week ever!  God truly poured out his blessing on my family this week!

Thompson Center Black Diamond
Attachment Attached File

My youngest boy with it.  It was quartering away, so the shot looks far back, but it exited opposite side by front shoulder.  No guts.  It was high, but got the job done.  Caught the spine on the way in and shredded opposite lung on the way out
Attachment Attached File

Processed, sealed and ready for the freezer
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's been a pretty damn good week fellas!

I've never owned a muzzleloader, so I talked to a guy the Thursday before the muzzleloader season started who either has everything or knows someone who does.  He found me one that afternoon.  I brought it home Friday.  I had a job interview with a new company right after I picked it up (will be relevant shortly).  Shot it twice Saturday to check zero and make sure I knew what the heck I was doing .  

Sat in the blind Monday, but didn't see anything.  Had to work Tuesday, so I figured my muzzleloader season was over.  That afternoon, I got a job offer from the new place!  I came home in good spirits because the job offer was pretty solid.  As usual when I get home from work (especially gun seasons) I looked in the fields surrounding my house for deer. Didn't see anything.  Decided to go to basement to work out.  Halfway thru my workout something told me I should check the field one last time.  4 deer in the field and fairly close.  I snuck out of the house, grabbed the muzzleloader and range finder, threw a primer in and snuck to the corner of my yard.  I have small hills from where they dug my pond so it provided some concealment to get closer.  Army crawled to top of first hill.  It was after 5 and light was fading FAST.  175 yds.  Doable, but not in that low light with a gun I've only shot twice.  Crawled down and moved to next hill.  They had started to move somewhat towards me in the meantime.  2nd Hill: 104 yards.  Going hot!  Touched one off and dropped it right where it stood.  

Since buying this house on 5 acres in the middle of fields, it's been on my bucket list to shoot a deer from my own property.  Between the job offer and getting my first muzzleloader deer from my yard, I was on cloud 9.  The next day I talked to the new company to negotiate the offer.  A new offer letter came in Friday.  They raised the offer another 10k, bonus eligible and 5 weeks vacation.  Best week ever!  God truly poured out his blessing on my family this week!

Thompson Center Black Diamond
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331964/20220106_191121_copy_1600x1200_jpg-2242123.JPG

My youngest boy with it.  It was quartering away, so the shot looks far back, but it exited opposite side by front shoulder.  No guts.  It was high, but got the job done.  Caught the spine on the way in and shredded opposite lung on the way out
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331964/20220111_181122_copy_1600x1200_jpg-2242127.JPG

Processed, sealed and ready for the freezer
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331964/20220115_181216_copy_1600x1200_jpg-2242128.JPG

View Quote

What a great week for you. We all need a pick me up now and again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Well boys Im done for the year, the doe's are all pregnant, the bucks have no antlers. and it's just stupid cold out.  Got 2 this year Lost one sadly, but can't complain

Gonna pull the blind out Saturday and get ready to cook up some deer chili  

Same time next year gents.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well boys Im done for the year, the doe's are all pregnant, the bucks have no antlers. and it's just stupid cold out.  Got 2 this year Lost one sadly, but can't complain

Gonna pull the blind out Saturday and get ready to cook up some deer chili  

Same time next year gents.
View Quote

Really? Your bucks have already dropped antlers? There was 3 bucks across the road this afternoon with antlers and one looked like a dandy
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
A buddy of mine killed a buck on January 2nd  that had shed both sides,  I think most  still have them though  
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine killed a buck on January 2nd  that had shed both sides,  I think most  still have them though  
View Quote

Got a fe on camera this week that still had both. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't get any late season action, but the final report from ODNR is pretty interesting.
https://ohiodnr.gov/discover-and-learn/safety-conservation/about-ODNR/news/ohios-final-2021-22-deer-harvest-report

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#13]
As someone who hunts in Hardin County, this is of great interest to me.  Starting archery Sept 1 is a waste, but I'll gladly do a 3 day gun season in early October.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As someone who hunts in Hardin County, this is of great interest to me.  Starting archery Sept 1 is a waste, but I'll gladly do a 3 day gun season in early October.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47512/Screenshot_20220210-222510_Facebook_jpg-2275079.JPG
View Quote

looks like we all dont get the early season ? the only plus i have family in Marion county.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

looks like we all dont get the early season ? the only plus i have family in Marion county.
View Quote
I'm guessing the thought is we'll kill enough CWD infected deer before they have a chance to breed.   I'm not a fan of hunting that early, but for another gun season I'll take a chance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Totally Confused on the CWD stuff ,
they say no evidence of transmission from deer to humans, The handbook says dont eat meat from any animal that has tested positive of CWD? WTF ?

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Totally Confused on the CWD stuff ,
they say no evidence of transmission from deer to humans, The handbook says dont eat meat from any animal that has tested positive of CWD? WTF ?

View Quote

It’s precautionary. It’s never happened yet, but the concern is it could in theory happen, and if it does you are fucked. Also, say good bye to deer and deer hunting if that ever happens.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my buck scored today at the expo center, 197 and 3/8”!!

Ohio Big Buck Club and Boone and Crockett all time as long as B&C doesn’t have an issue with the scoring. Super pumped!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Note to self : deer season is only 6 months and some days away..  
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Note to self : deer season is only 6 months and some days away..  
View Quote
This wise guy better change up his routine this fall.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top