Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2021 9:59:29 AM EDT
Howdy,

This year all of my firearms are getting extremely rusty. Concerningly so. I've had the same two safes for going on 4 years and never had any rust issues. I thought maybe I needed new safe dehumidifiers but that hasn't solved it.

I wasn't too worried until my takedown pins on my ARs started turning fully brown, and my Zaffri Precision glock barrel started pitting. The barrel has 10rds through it!

Is anybody else experiencing worse rust this year?

And yea, I oil my parts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
nope.. But do  have good safe D humid rods...  and I have have pretty damp area they are in... Oil them up bro...
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Wet & Damp? Hell yes!

In fact, durn near THE WETTEST here in No. Summit County evah!. My veggie garden drowned...

Rust on the firearms? Nope.

I keep the place a/c, plus humidifier, plus those $1 calcium chloride tubs (Damp Eaters) in the attic, plus keep a fan going 24/7, plus keep each pistol or rifle wiped down with a lot of synthetic stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Had the same problem over the years.  I purchased a small wireless weather station with a remote unit.  I kept the remote in the safe, and the main unit on top of the safe.  That lets me know the difference between the basement and safe humidity.  I upsized my hot rod in the bottom, they come in different sizes.  Later on I added a 60w lightbulb inside on the upper part of the safe.  

Last year I had an addition put on my house, and replaced the furnace and central air.  A 95% efficient furnace that uses outside air cured everything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 A 95% efficient furnace that uses outside air cured everything.
View Quote

Well I think I just learned something today.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I run a golden rod in my safe and a dehumidifier in my basement during the summer, no issues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a humidity and temperature gauge in the location of your gun safe? If not you’re just guessing. What
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
It was the top 2 or 3 wettest and humid Summers ever in Ohio this year. Maybe the top in some places.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top