Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2021 12:44:17 PM EDT
He describes himself as a conservative libertarian. I haven’t seen anything from him on constitutional rights. What I have seen on everything else has been spot on.  Peter Thiel is a big money donor.

Anyone else got any intel on JD Vance?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
He seems like a really good dude. Watched his interview on Tucker Carlson today, as well as have read his book. I think he “gets it” so to speak.

He’s my early choice, that said I haven’t done any deep dive into his positions on the issues.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides the fact he is a trump hater, I don’t know much about him

“reprehensible” is his word of choice to describe trump
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Besides the fact he is a trump hater, I don’t know much about him

“reprehensible” is his word of choice to describe trump
View Quote

Interesting.  Yeah, all those old tweets slamming Trump aren't going to endear him to Trump supporters.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Besides the fact he is a trump hater, I don't know much about him

"reprehensible" is his word of choice to describe trump
View Quote
If he hates Trump, I wish him the worst of luck.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If he hates Trump, I wish him the worst of luck.
View Quote

He appears to. Or “did”

Looks like he’s trying to scrub his Twitter and other routes that he criticized trump before.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this man connected to vance's outdoors?

If so I would never vote for him.  OK maybe 'off the island'
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
No clue who he is.

What is he running for?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interesting.  Yeah, all those old tweets slamming Trump aren't going to endear him to Trump supporters.
View Quote

Lots of us questioned Trump early on, and for good reason. Based on his words and actions, in 2016 we had no reason to believe he was anything but a NYC liberal with a few good (recent) sound bites.

JD has changed his tune on Trump like many of us, based on (largely) sound policy from the Trump admin.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No clue who he is.

What is he running for?
View Quote

It's in the subject line
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lots of us questioned Trump early on, and for good reason. Based on his words and actions, in 2016 we had no reason to believe he was anything but a NYC liberal with a few good (recent) sound bites.

HJF has changed his tune on Trump like many of us, based on (largely) sound policy from the Trump admin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HJF has changed his tune on Trump like many of us, based on (largely) sound policy from the Trump admin.

Agreed, and same here.  I didn't believe anything coming out of his mouth and didn't vote for him in the primary.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's in the subject line
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No clue who he is.

What is he running for?

It's in the subject line

Missed that, sorry.

Funny story, I was getting  spammed  by campaign  ads by him a day today.

They don't  say anything but they make him look  exciting.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He appears to. Or “did”

Looks like he’s trying to scrub his Twitter and other routes that he criticized trump before.

View Quote

If Vance is so wishy washy that he needs to delete what he's said in the past, then he can get fcuked.
He needs to own his comments.....

I supported President Trump from day 1, and I would prefer someone like Jim Jordon run, as he'd be a shoo-in, but he has already stated it's not happening.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If Vance is so wishy washy that he needs to delete what he's said in the past, then he can get fcuked.
He needs to own his comments.....

I supported President Trump from day 1, and I would prefer someone like Jim Jordon run, as he'd be a shoo-in, but he has already stated it's not happening.....
View Quote

The internet is a weird place because it doesn’t forget

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No clue who he is.

What is he running for?
View Quote

He is the author of Hillbilly Elegy.  He grew up in Middletown, OH and his grandparents were first generation immigrants from KY to OH.  I was working at AK Steel during the time period he was in junior high and high school, and his book really explained my experiences with a lot of the workforce at the steel mill, the "briars" that worked at the mill.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
AK Steel is a name I  haven't  heard in about 15 years.

That fired up the way back machine!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#16]
is he the same Vance from all the gun stores in town?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Just the tweets shown here make him ineligible for my support. And I don't think any good Republican in their right mind should vote for him either.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just the tweets shown here make him ineligible for my support. And I don't think any good Republican in their right mind should vote for him either.
View Quote

I keep on getting texts from this cu$#, and I have no idea why....I responded to one telling him we haven't forgotten, and like you, if they are not a full blown supporter of Trump, they're wasting their time with me..
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AK Steel is a name I  haven't  heard in about 15 years.

That fired up the way back machine!
View Quote

I worked in the Headquarters in Middletown, and then when they moved to West Chester, absolutely hated it, and it was the best thing they ever did when they laid me off in 09..

Only thing that was a positive while in Middletown was my lunchtime trips to AIM.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I worked in the Headquarters in Middletown, and then when they moved to West Chester, absolutely hated it, and it was the best thing they ever did when they laid me off in 09..

Only thing that was a positive while in Middletown was my lunchtime trips to AIM.
View Quote

The original AIM was right outside the gate of the mill....holy crap I spent a ton of money there, but I bought cheap and stacked deep.  I still have Israel battle packs of 9mm that was $110/1000 rds
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Maria Bartiromo interviews JD Vance

J.D. Vance Senate run focuses on US economic issues and ‘culture war’
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's going to be a tough old slog for him to shake off his past.
There are far more President Trump supporters than not, and while he was extremely damning of Trump at the time, he only reversed course because he understands it did nothing more than hurt his campaign.
With that said, I foresee getting another Sherrod Brown(stain) replacing Portman....as I am done settling for second best...
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goIXwx-XOjo
View Quote

He reminds me of a slimy used car salesman

He appears, to me, to be fake and putting on a front for his campaign. His true beliefs are represented in his, now deleted, tweets etc
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#25]
He comes across as just another politician.  I don't want another politician, I want better than that.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goIXwx-XOjo
View Quote
So, he at least was prepped on what to say in that video to make himself look appealing to Trump supporters. Hopefully people do their homework and don't just fall for a dog and pony show. The last thing we need to elect into office is someone who won't get on board with the Trump agenda when he's re-elected in 2024.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks! He looks like one of the good guys.

From here on out, I hope that everyone only considers supporting candidates who are interested in fighting liberals, and not working with them to implement their agendas. Working with those who want to "fundamentally transform" America is not something to be proud of.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He reminds me of a slimy used car salesman

He appears, to me, to be fake and putting on a front for his campaign. His true beliefs are represented in his, now deleted, tweets etc
View Quote

Are you talking about Trump or JD?

Trump said plenty of things years ago to make any serious ideological conservative question his motives as well as his choice as the GOP nominee in 2016. I don’t think I need to remind anyone here of those past statements…

So I think it’s extremely ironic that people here are now holding JDs past statements questioning the ideological purity of DJT against him. Lots of people had the same concerns, to include myself, and have since largely been pleased with the actions of DJT as president.

If JD was some gun control/amnesty supporting “moderate” a few years ago I’d be saying the same, but to my knowledge that isn’t the case.

For the record I’m not a JD fanboy, but the criticism of him here the definition of irony.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Trump said plenty of things years ago to make any serious ideological conservative question his motives as well as his choice as the GOP nominee in 2016. I don’t think I need to remind anyone here of those past statements…
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't recall President Trump back tracking or apologizing for his past comments, but I could be wrong.

Quoted:
So I think it’s extremely ironic that people here are now holding JDs past statements questioning the ideological purity of DJT against him. Lots of people had the same concerns, to include myself, and have since largely been pleased with the actions of DJT as president.

I supported President Trump.from day 1, he is not a career politician, tells it like it is and I like him because of it...maybe it's the Brit in me.
As to Vance, if he is the Republican nomination, he won't get any votes from my household, I will take a democrat over holding my nose again, like I did for Dewine.

Quoted:
If JD was some gun control/amnesty supporting “moderate” a few years ago I’d be saying the same, but to my knowledge that isn’t the case.

He has already shown his true colours, he stands with "Muslims and Immigrants", and I'm an immigrant...got no time for the blowhard..

Quoted:
For the record I’m not a JD fanboy, but the criticism of him here the definition of irony.

Not for me, I want someone that is in 100% for President Trump, we need a united front...rather than breaking ranks, as we never see that from the democrats side.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The original AIM was right outside the gate of the mill....holy crap I spent a ton of money there, but I bought cheap and stacked deep.  I still have Israel battle packs of 9mm that was $110/1000 rds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIM was in Waynesville before Middletown...
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can you explain this line of thinking?   I don't understand how that helps to allow another dem seat in the Senate.  We'd be seriously fucked with even one more the way it stands now.
View Quote

This.  I'd rather have a moderate Republican in the seat than a Democrat, at least I know I can put pressure on the Republican, and let the (Republican) majority leader do what they need to do because they now have control of the Senate.  

Seriously, this "all or nothing" attitude has to stop, and in fact is one of the reasons we don't have control of the House or Senate right now. You will NEVER, EVER get the perfect 100% backed-Trump-from-day-one, America First, conservative, pure Republican candidate.  

So vote for the guy who has the best chance of stealing the seat from the Democrats.  That's where the power play is this time around.  

Incrementalism works both ways.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So I think it's extremely ironic that people here are now holding JDs past statements questioning the ideological purity of DJT against him. Lots of people had the same concerns, to include myself, and have since largely been pleased with the actions of DJT as president.

If JD was some gun control/amnesty supporting "moderate" a few years ago I'd be saying the same, but to my knowledge that isn't the case.

For the record I'm not a JD fanboy, but the criticism of him here the definition of irony.
View Quote
I never did. Supported Trump from day 1, along with a handful of others where I lived at the time. The difference here is that Trump has never attempted to erase history as a means of walking back a message, thus making himself look like he's hiding something or isn't really what he claims to be. JD is doing that - every time he deletes a tweet or hides an old message.

If he's really changed and really supports the MAGA agenda, why not just come out and say that he's made mistakes in the past - you know, like everyone else who walks the planet? Why run from his past or try to hide it? What he's doing makes him come across as just another shifty politician, more like a liberal than a real and honest conservative. I won't support that kind of thing. I'm a voter who does his research and believes in the causes he supports, and I want to be heard and represented in the Senate, not merely be pandered to with lip service from mealy-mouthed fools.

If JD isn't a "moderate", then what is he? He seems uncomfortable with owning his past, like he's running from it. I can accept that he might not actually be a moderate, but he at least was an anti-Trumper like so many other RINOs in our party who will never have my support. Again, if he's made mistakes in his positions and support and is trying to atone for them, great. But own up to them instead of trying to erase them. If he's now a full-on Trump supporter, come out and tell everyone about it. There's nothing wrong with saying "Hey, I used to be suspicious of Trump. I even didn't like the guy. But after seeing what he's been working to accomplish, and what he supports, I like it. I stand behind him and his policies. I was wrong before, and have grown since."

Heck, if JD were to say something like that, I'd be big enough myself to say something similar in support of him (if I believed his comments to be sincere). But right now his positions and statements may be wholly sincere, but lack the appearance of credibility.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#36]
OK, you're right. I'll settle for a fair and honest recount of only the legitimate votes in the last election, which would put him in office tomorrow. And then I can start focusing on how to best spend my time supporting a DeSantis '24 campaign along with Blystone '22. But unless Trump decides not to run in '24, he'll get my support and vote. He's the best one out there for the job, on either side of the political spectrum.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can you explain this line of thinking?   I don't understand how that helps to allow another dem seat in the Senate.  We'd be seriously fucked with even one more the way it stands now.
View Quote

I have settled for what was offered for years. I supported Mary Taylor as Governor, but we got Dewine, prior to that we had Kasich...I supported Ken Blackwell, and we got Strickland, all because of Taft, another RINO shit stain.
I'm done with it, and if Dewine is not out during the primaries, neither myself or my Wife will vote for him.
Same with Vance, won't vote for him, so let's hope we get a candidate worthwhile..

As to being seriously fucked, we already are, the election was stolen from President Trump and not a damn thing was done about it..
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have settled for what was offered for years. I supported Mary Taylor as Governor, but we got Dewine, prior to that we had Kasich...I supported Ken Blackwell, and we got Strickland, all because of Taft, another RINO shit stain.
I'm done with it, and if Dewine is not out during the primaries, neither myself or my Wife will vote for him.
Same with Vance, won't vote for him, so let's hope we get a candidate worthwhile..

As to being seriously fucked, we already are, the election was stolen from President Trump and not a damn thing was done about it..
View Quote

I agree with the sentiment, I fucking hated Kasich with a burning passion. Likewise have similar distain for DeWine.

But those folks had a long record as career politicians being Rhinos. We absolutely knew who they were being the “chosen ones” from the Ohio GOP.

The current front runner is Josh Mandel, who is the definition of career politician and the chosen one from the Ohio GOP. Being apart of the Ohio GOP for as long as he has been and has stuck around for as long as he has despite several unsuccessful campaigns says everything I need to know about the man, not to mention the fact he ran around on his ex wife with a campaign staffer.

The next in polling is Jane Timken the former head of the Ohio GOP… Need I say more?

Third is JD. I’d vote JD over those two swamp rats any day. I don’t know the man, but after reading his book and watching several interviews he’s had on Tucker Carlson he strikes me as a good man with genuine concern for the country and a deep understanding of the current problems we face. He is the only one in the top 3 who meets your criteria of “not a politician.”

Not that I think that is always a good criteria, considering AOC “wasn’t a politician” before she got elected either.

The rest of the pack probably doesn’t have a chance in hell if we are being honest.

Don’t make perfect the enemy of the good.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So you help Portman's seat go to a Democrat and let whatever Schumer, Biden, Harris, and AOC want to pass, get passed.

Awesome strategy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you help Portman's seat go to a Democrat and let whatever Schumer, Biden, Harris, and AOC want to pass, get passed.

Awesome strategy.

For years I was hard-core, vote the 2nd, and it was a driving force to become a citizen, but anymore we deserve what we get...
In a nutshell, I may just stay at home come election day..
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I still have to wonder why JD hasn't done a public "come to Jesus" moment. If he's proclaiming to be a strong Trump supporter now -- great. The President needs people in office who will support him and our agenda. But I still think that JD has some clearing up to do about his past, and why he's so willing to delete it away.

He was anti-Trump before. I get that. But trying to erase all of that makes him seem like he's trying to hide it. Why not just come out and claim it instead? People grow and learn over time, and their opinions and beliefs change as a result. That's called "being human". So why not come out and take us through what he learned and how he grew from being anti-Trump "back then" to pro-Trump today? It would certainly seem to be more authentic. Otherwise it just looks like he's trying to adopt views out of convenience, and not out of belief.

Although I'm much stronger in favor of Pukita now, I do want to give JD a fair shake so I'll go hear him if/when he comes up to Ashtabula County. I'd really like to hear what he has to say about the above, assuming he allows public questions to be asked after his talk.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I still have to wonder why JD hasn't done a public "come to Jesus" moment. If he's proclaiming to be a strong Trump supporter now -- great. The President needs people in office who will support him and our agenda. But I still think that JD has some clearing up to do about his past, and why he's so willing to delete it away.

He was anti-Trump before. I get that. But trying to erase all of that makes him seem like he's trying to hide it. Why not just come out and claim it instead? People grow and learn over time, and their opinions and beliefs change as a result. That's called "being human". So why not come out and take us through what he learned and how he grew from being anti-Trump "back then" to pro-Trump today? It would certainly seem to be more authentic. Otherwise it just looks like he's trying to adopt views out of convenience, and not out of belief.

Although I'm much stronger in favor of Pukita now, I do want to give JD a fair shake so I'll go hear him if/when he comes up to Ashtabula County. I'd really like to hear what he has to say about the above, assuming he allows public questions to be asked after his talk.
View Quote

This....I was after all anti-gun, before I realized the error of my ways, but I blame that on growing up In the UK.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

My opinion is because his opinions haven’t changed one bit. He’s trying to do enough lip service to get elected. His true self was revealed, hopefully people see it and pass on him. I wouldn’t ever vote for him
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This....I was after all anti-gun, before I realized the error of my ways, but I blame that on growing up In the UK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I didn't even like Trump the first time I voted for him.  In fact I voted Cruz in the primary.  The irony is that four years later my vote for Trump was the proudest vote I've ever cast.  I still don't like his "style" but I'll be damned if he didn't keep his promises and truly govern by his "America First" slogan.  I'm not saying whether Vance has had a change of heart or not but I'm certainly willing to hear him out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#47]
He got air time and a passing endorsement  from Bongino yesterday.

Guy sounded like a well crafted politician  and rolled Bongino.

Not a fan of Bongino  anyway so I turned it off but Dan was all about JD .

That's  advertising  you can't  pay for.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For years I was hard-core, vote the 2nd, and it was a driving force to become a citizen, but anymore we deserve what we get...
In a nutshell, I may just stay at home come election day..
View Quote

Awesome strategy.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is this man connected to vance's outdoors?

If so I would never vote for him.  OK maybe 'off the island'
View Quote

Quoted:
is he the same Vance from all the gun stores in town?
View Quote

He has no connection to Vance Outdoors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#50]
...i'm sick of the johnny-come-lately type of "conservative" candidates who were vehement never trumpers, ...until their ephiphany that people have had it w/ the corruption, the evil, the banana republic, and dictators governors, to "judges", to the FBI, to the District of Corruption...   the Trumpster is a warrior, and that's the kind of people we need to do combat w/ the radical marxists, ...whack-a-mole isn't working, ...it takes balls and ferver, and not apologizing for doing what needs done!

...i think Jane Timken supported the Trumpster early on (she's been praised by him many times, including at rallys)...

...Trump will be the kingmaker in this race, ...it will be interesting to see who it shapes up to be...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top