Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/12/2021 9:46:03 AM EDT
Hey everyone. My family will be visiting relatives in Ohio next week and they have booked a short weekend trip to Put-In-Bay. I’ve never been before (despite growing up in central Ohio).

I conceal carry religiously down here in Arkansas and I know I have reciprocity with Ohio with my AR license  but what should I know about CHCL to/from Put-In-Bay and while there on the island? Any issues transporting over to island on the ferries?

Appreciate any advice!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to up in those parts this summer as well.  I did a search for "CCW Kelly's Island, Ohio" and did another one "CCW Put In Bay, Ohio".  Both searches turned up forum threads at Ohioans For Concealed Carry.  The threads produced some info albeit a little dated.  I'm only planning a day trip to the island and quite honestly from the sounds of maritime regs and the local cops, I may just keep my piece in the car for the duration of my trip.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup.  Coast Guard and ODNR regulations and ferry owner rules apply. I am pretty sure you can’t carry a concealed handgun on the ferry. You might be able to store it in your vehicle unloaded with ammo and gun separate while on the ferry.  Call the ferry operator and ask.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally would take it.  This may not be legal but if it’s concealed and you aren’t getting shit faced, I would have a pistol on me.
I don’t respect anti gun signs unless they have metal detectors at the entrance or if I’m walking into work (hospital) .
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]
According to Miller Ferry's own website: https://millerferry.com/maritime-security/

CCW firearms are allowed as long as you have the license.

Q: Are permitted weapons allowed to be carried onboard?
A: Permitted weapons are allowed with a valid CCW certificate.

I did not look up the Jet Express.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]
If he is taking his vehicle over, miller ferry is the only option. Jet Express is for walking traffic.
Kellys Island is nice also. Less of a human zoo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the link to the ferry operator site.  I should know better than to rely on memory, especially when laws change significantly over many years.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kellys Island is nice also. Less of a human zoo.
View Quote

This! My wife and I prefer Kelleys. When we hit Put In Bay we try to go Monday through Wednesday to hopefully avoid some of the animals.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
You can always hit the Sonny S from p.i.b. to middle bass also
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been on Miller and the Jet Express, (both with and without a vehicle on Miller), and I have never seen anybody get searched for anything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m actually thinking about taking my kids up to put in bay this week just for the day.  I’m just debating on weather to take my vehicle on Miller and drive around the island or take the Jet Express and walk around and/or rent a golf cart.
I will be carrying though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
If you haven’t made solid plans, Kelley’s Island is a much more family friendly place then Put-In-Bay.  (I’m posting this sitting on Kelley’s).
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you haven’t made solid plans, Kelley’s Island is a much more family friendly place then Put-In-Bay.  (I’m posting this sitting on Kelley’s).
View Quote

Yeah I’m just trying to decide what would be more entertaining for a half day.  Kelley’s or PIB.  
I definitely would not have kids in PIB later in the evening.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, the really bad stuff happens after the ferries have stopped running for the night.

Or so I have heard.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve never been hassled when I traveled via the Jet express or Miller.

FYI- The Chief of Police at PIB is a member of ARFcom.

18Z50
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never been hassled when I traveled via the Jet express or Miller.

FYI- The Chief of Police at PIB is a member of ARFcom.

18Z50
View Quote
Same, been to both South Bass and Kelleys Islands on both ferries, carried on person every time and never had any issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

On weekend nights, sure

South bass island (put in bay is the town on the island) has much more to do for a family/kids
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Meh, the really bad stuff happens after the ferries have stopped running for the night.

Or so I have heard.
View Quote

Two very entertaining things to do are sit right before the last ferry for the night leaves and watch the drunks try to run down the hill to catch it

and

Go early with a cup of coffee in the morning and watch the hungover drunks zombie walk to the ferry
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah I’m just trying to decide what would be more entertaining for a half day.  Kelley’s or PIB.  
View Quote

Been to both islands plenty, and I would say the family has had a much better time at Kelly's.  The quarry, the glacier groves, and a beach with sand.  Rent a golf cart, head out side of the town and let the kids drive the golf cart.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top