Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/6/2021 9:28:51 AM EDT
I’ve had my CCW license for 9 months now. I fully understand the laws when it comes to transporting a handgun via vehicle.

I’ve also been reading up on transporting rifles, but nothing clear when having your CCW. Can you transport a loaded rifle with your CCW?

My understanding now is that you can’t access both ammunition and the rifle from one location, ie drivers seat.

Does anyone have better info?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Location and how you transport rifles don't matter in OH if you have a chl except for one aspect - no loaded rifle and no loaded mag inserted into rifle
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Location and how you transport rifles don't matter in OH if you have a chl except for one aspect - no loaded rifle and no loaded mag inserted into rifle
View Quote

This is correct as far as I understand. Mag can be loaded, but must not be stored in the rifle.

Don’t truck the internets though, make sure you understand the CHL laws in Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
As stated having valid Ohio CCW removes most restrictions on transport

Here is the Ohio Revised Code
https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-2923.16

Pay attention to section 5 and section K for details on the exceptions for CCW

JLE
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The above posters have it.  

Remember, in OH we don't have a CCW license, we have a CHL; Concealed HANDGUN License.  It only covers and allows for the loaded and concealed carrying of what's legally a handgun in Ohio.

No loaded rifles (or rifles with loaded magazines inserted in the rifle) in vehicles, since OH essentially considers any firearm inside of a vehicle to be "concealed", that's why only loaded handguns can be kept in a vehicle with a valid CHL.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The above posters have it.  

Remember, in OH we don't have a CCW license, we have a CHL; Concealed HANDGUN License.  It only covers and allows for the loaded and concealed carrying of what's legally a handgun in Ohio.

No loaded rifles (or rifles with loaded magazines inserted in the rifle) in vehicles, since OH essentially considers any firearm inside of a vehicle to be "concealed", that's why only loaded handguns can be kept in a vehicle with a valid CHL.
View Quote

Why can't we get this changed to concealed weapons license and be done with it.  I want to keep my FA Uzi ready to rock when 8bhave to drive through Columbus
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top