Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/30/2020 10:57:38 AM EDT
My OH State Senator emailed me this today; didn't know about Ohio's weird knife laws. Wonder what DeSwine will do with it?

OH House Passes Bill Updating Ohio Knife Laws

Testimony Over Updated Knife Bill
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope it becomes law one way or the other. Will make it easier to explain when I teach that topic in the police academy.

But they really need to do state wide preemption for knives like they do guns. This still allows local jurisdictions to make their own knife laws.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But they really need to do state wide preemption for knives like they do guns. This still allows local jurisdictions to make their own knife laws.
View Quote

That is a terrible way to do laws. Carry a legal knife in dayton, then get arrested in columbus because somebody made a law that has 1/2 inch longer blade illegal there. (Example)
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is a terrible way to do laws. Carry a legal knife in dayton, then get arrested in columbus because somebody made a law that has 1/2 inch longer blade illegal there. (Example)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it's a constitutional issue, that's exactly the way laws should be. Local.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I skimmed thru it, but only noticed something about manufacturing knives in Ohio.  Can we carry autos yet?  Its patently retarded that I can carry a gun, but not a knife with a spring in it
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless it's a constitutional issue, that's exactly the way laws should be. Local.
View Quote

State constitution preemption of knife laws would make it a state constitutional issue.

We have state preemption to make uniform laws because we want uniform laws.  This is a double edged sword, of course, since state law could also go bad.  One political advantage of letting cities have some autonomy there is it reduced the political need to "do something" at the state level.  The big city dummies would pass whatever they wanted and mostly only the people there were effected.  However, it could be said that also made people that didn't live in the cities not care and not get involved.  Lots of pros and cons either way.

Even if it's not a "state constitutional issue", it's unreasonable to expect average people to keep up with all the dopey variations in local laws, 88 counties, 277 cities (approx) that can change day to day.  I'd expect an average person to be able to understand clearly written state laws that don't change frequently, and that actually have to do with crimes of violence, not things the law says are "bad" because some mentally ill Karen screamed for it.  Those local laws can sometimes apply to everyone passing through, not just residents.

Yes, some variation is needed to deal with local conditions, e.g., studded tires mandatory in one place vs banned in another.  That's hardly what your philosophy should be based on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I skimmed thru it, but only noticed something about manufacturing knives in Ohio.  Can we carry autos yet?  Its patently retarded that I can carry a gun, but not a knife with a spring in it
View Quote

If that legislation becomes law then maybe, it says a knife isn't considered a weapon unless it is used as a weapon.  I guess it depends on if the legislation says an auto-knife is "just a knife" and not something special.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry autos all the time.  I don't venture down into Columbus very often, when I do I don't carry any autos.

I carry OTFs and side openers.

Honestly, an easy fix is to make Ohio's CHL a true CCW.  I want to carry ninja stars and collapsible batons.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The 2nd amendment doesn't say "right to bear guns"

It says the right to bear arms, which means knives, guns, ammo, and all other arms
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I carry autos all the time.  I don't venture down into Columbus very often, when I do I don't carry any autos.

I carry OTFs and side openers.

Honestly, an easy fix is to make Ohio's CHL a true CCW.  I want to carry ninja stars and collapsible batons.
View Quote

Quoted:
The 2nd amendment doesn't say "right to bear guns"

It says the right to bear arms, which means knives, guns, ammo, and all other arms
View Quote

Been carrying a switchblade (folding type) since I was 17 living in NJ. Only ever had one off look, some Karen at the grocery store in CA when I popped a hole in the grocery list after grabbing the item.

Quite frankly, never gave a shit it was illegal.

It's either a good stab or it isn't. Deal with the rest afterwards.

Hey, since a knife can't be a weapon you carry concealed, at least you don't have to tell the cops about it... much freedom, yes?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Dewine signed the knife bill yesterday.

Will be law in 90 days.

JLE
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, BladeHQ will ship Automatics from Utah to Ohio.

Boker
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top