BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/28/2020 11:43:42 PM EDT
Update 20210111:
Dewine signs SB 140!!!

woohoo!

Ohio Knife Laws Go Positive

CODY, WY, UNITED STATES, January 11, 2021 /EINPresswire.com/ -- The American Knife & Tool Institute (AKTI) applauds the very positive changes that are coming to Ohio knife laws with SB 140 having just been signed by Governor Mike DeWine. The new law had bipartisan support in the legislature, and provides economic benefit to Ohio businesses.
View Quote

Clarity will be provided that a concealed item (knife, razor or cutting instrument) is NOT a “deadly weapon” or “weapon” unless it is actually used as a weapon. This has been a point of confusion not only for knife owners, but also law enforcement and in the courts. Currently any knife may be considered a “deadly weapon,” defined as “any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.” (2923.11 A). Ohio law, 2923.12, has provided that it is an offense to “knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand” any “dangerous weapon.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Good news. I have no faith that Dewine will sign it, though. Hopefully he does.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a friend from high school that got charged with concealing a weapon. He had a chefs knife in his glove box. He was on his way home from work, at a restaurant... where he was a cook...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

I haven't seen any news of it being signed yet...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
He said he would veto any bill unrelated to covid relief.  Said they had better things on which to spend their time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He said he would veto any bill unrelated to covid relief.  Said they had better things on which to spend their time.
View Quote

he signed SB 175, which had the repeal of duty-to-retreat...   thus, i don't see why he wouldn't sign SB 140, ..we'll soon find out!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
What does this say about out-the-front automatics?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

He should sign his resignation letter. That would be relief.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
gov signed it!   updating OP...

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2021/01/gov-mike-dewine-vetoes-bill-to-reopen-county-fairs-signs-anti-protest-measure.html

At the bottom of the page

DeWine also signed Senate Bill 140, which will allow people to carry concealed switchblades, razors and other knives and cutting instruments, so long as they’re not used as weapons. It also repeals Ohio’s ban on manufacture and sale of “switchblade,” “spring blade” and “gravity” knives.
View Quote

Very excited to hear this as a daily pocket knife carrier. Time to switchblade shop.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
folks, remember these generally go into effect 90 days after signing...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Good news.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2021/01/gov-mike-dewine-vetoes-bill-to-reopen-county-fairs-signs-anti-protest-measure.html

At the bottom of the page

Very excited to hear this as a daily pocket knife carrier. Time to switchblade shop.
View Quote

Is there an official definition of a “switchblade?” Are we thinking that this finally legalizes out-the-front autos?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is there an official definition of a “switchblade?” Are we thinking that this finally legalizes out-the-front autos?
View Quote

https://www.akti.org/news/ohio-knife-laws-go-positive/

Read that. Switchblades have been weird in Ohio where they're basically legal to own but carrying them, the sale of them, and the servicing of them was unclear. Now they're legal to own and sell in the state without confusion. I don't know any other state law prohibiting their carry s I'm going to get a new one from an Ohio dealer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]
is or was there a restriction on blade style or length?
And would this bill remove that resriction as well if one existed?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
is or was there a restriction on blade style or length?
And would this bill remove that resriction as well if one existed?
View Quote

The state has never had a blade length restriction.

Local laws may vary.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Read that. Switchblades have been weird in Ohio where they're basically legal to own but carrying them, the sale of them, and the servicing of them was unclear. Now they're legal to own and sell in the state without confusion. I don't know any other state law prohibiting their carry s I'm going to get a new one from an Ohio dealer.
View Quote

Rivers Edge has sold autos for years.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Without looking up the ORC, my understanding of the current law was you could not carry ANY knife designed to be opened with one hand.  Spring assist, emersons and even the thumb stud fit the definition.  It just wasn't enforced for anything but autos.  

This is great news, but they need to change the CHL to a CCW license.  

Dewine surprises.  While we knew he wasn't going to fulfill all of our hopes and dreams, he was the best choice on the ballot.  For all of his garbage Covid policies, I'm glad he's at least doing something for us.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm well aware.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Without looking up the ORC, my understanding of the current law was you could not carry ANY knife designed to be opened with one hand.  Spring assist, emersons and even the thumb stud fit the definition.  It just wasn't enforced for anything but autos.  

Dewine surprises.  While we knew he wasn't going to fulfill all of our hopes and dreams, he was the best choice on the ballot.  For all of his garbage Covid policies, I'm glad he's at least doing something for us.  
View Quote
And I thought all of that one hand stuff was a bunch of fudd talk and not actual law???

Anyhow I'm glad it's going away......

Thanks to all who pushed this through.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#22]
...remember, 90 days folks...

Governor Signs SB 140 Knife Bill into Law
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And I thought all of that one hand stuff was a bunch of fudd talk and not actual law???

Anyhow I'm glad it's going away......

Thanks to all who pushed this through.
View Quote

It wasnt actual law.  At the state level at least.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Is the new knife law protected by preemption?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not explicitly, but kinda sorta.  The Ohio state constitution says cities cannot make legal what state law makes illegal, and they cannot make illegal what state law makes legal.  So, it depends on exactly what state law now says, and what some cities legislation said.  And I'm sure some judge will decide he doesn't like this and will pull something out of his a** and force a case to go to the Ohio supreme count.

I am not a lawyer, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not explicitly, but kinda sorta.  The Ohio state constitution says cities cannot make legal what state law makes illegal, and they cannot make illegal what state law makes legal.  So, it depends on exactly what state law now says, and what some cities legislation said.  And I'm sure some judge will decide he doesn't like this and will pull something out of his a** and force a case to go to the Ohio supreme count.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you must have stayed at a Holiday inn last night?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But you must have stayed at a Holiday inn last night?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. I'd nut if that happened. You can conceal carry a loaded handgun, but not a knife? Bullshit.

They need to eliminate the requirement for a CHL/CCW, too. And while we're at it, eliminate the ban on loaded long guns in motor vehicles, or at least make it like Nevada where, as long as there's no round in the chamber, you're good.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top