Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/9/2020 1:53:12 PM EDT
New resident from Illinois. I was curious as Ohio is open carry...How well is it received by the general public? Does it generate a lot of hassle, or are most people and LEOs understanding of what it is?  Just curious...Illinois is definitely not open carry and I’ve never open carried before except on private property.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Legal, usually frowned on for various reasons. City / location will make a lot of difference how well it is accepted and how much hassle you will receive.

If you need to open carry to protect yourself by all means do it.

Edit: Welcome to Ohio. How long until you can apply for an Ohio CC permit?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, You can apply if you’re employed in Ohio. I think there’s an additional fee for residents of <5yrs
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback. CCW isn’t planned just yet (have two kids (2 x 2 year olds) trying to schedule weekend time is near impossible without some sort of kid help for my wife. I’m looking for firearm training as well but struggle to commit more than a day to it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Legal, but very uncommon in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
When I moved here back in '17, the sheriffs office told me they didn't honor the 45 day or whatever wait to apply. Said come on down. They also told me it may take up to two weeks for the FBI to get their shit together on the background check. I went to the sheriffs office Monday at lunch, and got called to come pick it up Wednesday before break. I was also told they throw your NFA memos in the trash when they receive them (but that's likely bullshit).

That was also nearly 4 years ago... Clark County.

I've been OCing lately, mostly just an attempt to piss of Karens. So far it has been unsuccessful. I have OCd a suppressed pistol, and that does attention whore, but it was all positive.

I doubt it would go over well to carry a long gun in city limits, but it's legal. I'm not enough of a douche/attention-whore to do it, nor do I want to drag a rifle around kroger.

Don't forget you can't have a loaded gun in the car unless you have a ccw, so unless where you're going is in walking distance or you're going to be there a while, it's kind of moot.

Does the unloaded rule apply to bicycles?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback. CCW isn’t planned just yet (have two kids (2 x 2 year olds) trying to schedule weekend time is near impossible without some sort of kid help for my wife. I’m looking for firearm training as well but struggle to commit more than a day to it. Thanks!
View Quote

Where are you located in Ohio? Feel free to PM if you don’t want to post here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Legal. Do it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a lot of training opportunities in Ohio.

Join, or at least get on the mailing list of, Buckeye Firearms Association.  Members typically get a small discount to any BFA sponsored training class.

It looks like BFA is sponsoring one more class this year on low light shooting:

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/attend-ohio-firearm-training-and-special-events

Here are some Ohio trainers to look for:

Greg Ellifritz  http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/
Dave Spaulding  https://www.handguncombatives.com/
Chris Cerino https://chriscerinotraininggroup.com/
Robert Vogel  http://www.vogeldynamics.com/

and training schools:

Tactical Defense Institute  https://www.tdiohio.com/

I've trained with all of them and they're all excellent.  I'm sure there are many others I don't know.

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have honestly only seen it with hobo looking guys at Walmart.

Out in the rural areas it probably wouldn't be too bad but the sheriff deputies would still ask you what you're up to.

No way I would do that in any town unless I wanted to spend a day getting questioned by the police.

Need to get my CCW but my buddy who teaches the class just got out of the hospital from double pneumonia mixed with a case of the rice rabies. Damn near killed him.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Took mine years ago with Armed2Defend when it was 12 hours. Great class and Ken Hanson led the legal portion.

Now I think it's all online except the range time of course. My buddy went through and it was good.

It's basically an NRA basic pistol course. If you know which end the bullet comes out, you'll be fine. It's merely a ticket to punch, frankly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have honestly only seen it with hobo looking guys at Walmart.

Out in the rural areas it probably wouldn't be too bad but the sheriff deputies would still ask you what you're up to.

No way I would do that in any town unless I wanted to spend a day getting questioned by the police.

Need to get my CCW but my buddy who teaches the class just got out of the hospital from double pneumonia mixed with a case of the rice rabies. Damn near killed him.
View Quote

Never had local cops or deputies say a word about my pistol being open, or poorly concealed (quite frankly, if I'm not at work, IDGAF if you see my gun).

I do also carry in a real, proper holster, so anyone that knows anything has a clue I'm not a complete idiot.

Also, OP, if you have an honorable discharge, you're exempt from the class. Doesn't matter if you never got a pistol qual, only that you had some firearm qual.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a bad meth problem in Knox.

The sheriff guys will at least talk to you if they don't know who you are.

I have never had a problem with them. They are too short staffed to care about things they don't need to care about.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Perfectly legal, but two things to keep in mind:

1. You cannot carry a loaded firearm in your car without a CHL.

2. Open carry may garner you some attention in the more populated/liberal areas.

However, if you have a generally conservative appearance and dress, most won't notice even in the population centers.  If they do, they either don't care, or they just assume that you are plain clothes officer.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have seen the police called on someone open carrying, multiple units and a helicopter showed up.

Outside of protests downtown I don’t see it happen often.

It’s unfortunate, but I would be concerned mostly of the police, especially these days, maybe all the information they have to go on is “person with mask and gun”. I have open carried but only in rural areas where I am not going inside anyplace.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Took mine years ago with Armed2Defend when it was 12 hours. Great class and Ken Hanson led the legal portion.

Now I think it's all online except the range time of course. My buddy went through and it was good.

It's basically an NRA basic pistol course. If you know which end the bullet comes out, you'll be fine. It's merely a ticket to punch, frankly.
View Quote

My neighbor and I used them as well.  Loved when Ken was talking about being dragged out of his house while the news reported "over 10,000 rounds".  We would picture him in cuffs sreaming "Wait!!  I've got a lot more than that!"
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#18]
In 10 years I think that I have noticed an OC once around Columbus excluding the parking lot at gun shows.  I'm not sure how much attention it would get because I've not tried.  People might just assume that you are LE unless you appear to be homeless or unhinged.   I didn't even consider it when I moved here because I didn't want the extra hassle and I don't like attention.  I can't speak for the rest of the state.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Not to be judgemental or anything. But a lot of people's opinion of open carry depends on how you "look."

If you have a sleeveless shirt and a mullet, carrying a hi-point in a drop leg nylon holster, you will not be well recieved. If you are dressed nice with a decent haircut and a glock in a kydex or leather belt mounted holster, most of the public assumes you are police or fire off duty or non-uniformed and don't care. Or they see you are responsible.  

Same goes for if you are 200lbs overweight vs working out and in shape.

I rarely open carry in public. Not for how people look at me or accept me. But for more "tactical" reasons
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Most people aren't observant enough to even notice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
yeah most aren't that observant.

I like the open carriers.  they're usually the first target in case of chaos.  lol.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Most people aren't observant enough to even notice.
View Quote

yeeeeeeeeeeeeh, you strap on a gun, people will notice that. then you'll have to deal with cops, as someone is going to call 911, you can bet on that

but why would you advertise you're carrying in the first place? unless you fancy yourself a doc holiday.   the classes are inexpensive the license is pretty cheap, 67 bucks for 5 years..........that's far more cheaper then getting car tags for 5 years

but you go ahead and OC, just be prepared to be confronted and  questioned by the cops every time you go out with a  "shooting iron" strapped on you
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
yeeeeeeeeeeeeh, you strap on a gun, people will notice that.
View Quote

Not really, which is his point.

Back when I carried all the time, it was quite common for me to not bother with a cover garment when working around my apartment/house/garage. There were also some times when I would OC to and from the range. Plenty of interaction with people in that state - and I mean actual drawn-out conversations and such, not just saying "hi" and moving along. I didn't try to hide anything, and my pistol was clearly visible. Yet nobody ever said a word about it - I would guess that none even noticed it.

Everyday people aren't looking for it, so unless you make it really obvious, most simply won't notice.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So here's how yesterdays OC report went.

Kare calls dispatch.  " There's a white man dressed in camo and he has a pistol on his hip.  He carried a rifle case into the gun shop in the mall, left without it and now he's going into Walmart!!!!! "

Deputy rolls past, not stopping, Dispatch that's old Bob.  He has a permit but prefers to let people know he's armed.  Advise Karen ( who was still on the phone) that open carry is legal in Ohio, Resuming patrol.

Does Karen not think that the gunshop clerk might be alarmed if there was something wrong with the guy?  He left a gun there, not took more out.  Karen must be a tourist and not familiar with the area.
View Quote

Wasn't there a law here which states a LEO cannot stop you for simply possessing a firearm in public?

Karens don't think, or they wouldn't be Karens.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Several of us open carry at our church. I have been known to open carry on occasion with nothing negative to report. Then again I live in Logan County.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I recommend against it.

CCW and be the grey man.

18Z50
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, you can openly carry in Ohio and it's generally well-received. However, there are several factors.

1. Openly carrying a handgun doesn't usually draw any attention, and if it does, it's usually positive. Police don't usually give a fuck if you do this.

2. Openly carrying a long gun is more likely to get you negative attention, especially by the police.

3. In some towns and neighborhoods where the population is mostly white, you'll get those "good ole boy" cops who stop you, take your gun and run your ID if you're not white, then "strongly discourage" what you're doing. Most cops aren't that way, but some are.

For the most part, you can do whatever you want. I OC every day when I take a walk and I don't get problems. Once, I did get stopped and my gun was seized for the duration of the stop. Had to walk home with an empty gun in my holster. This was in a rural village at night.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Does the unloaded rule apply to bicycles?
View Quote

No, you can have a loaded gun while riding a bicycle without a CHL. Bicycles aren't considered motor vehicles in Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not to be judgemental or anything. But a lot of people's opinion of open carry depends on how you "look."

If you have a sleeveless shirt and a mullet, carrying a hi-point in a drop leg nylon holster, you will not be well recieved. If you are dressed nice with a decent haircut and a glock in a kydex or leather belt mounted holster, most of the public assumes you are police or fire off duty or non-uniformed and don't care. Or they see you are responsible.  

Same goes for if you are 200lbs overweight vs working out and in shape.

I rarely open carry in public. Not for how people look at me or accept me. But for more "tactical" reasons
View Quote

I open carry a Polymer80 in a kydex holster all the time while wearing an orange t-shirt and jeans. Nobody bothers me. Last time somebody bothered me about it more than the usual "why are you carrying a gun," I said "go fuck yourself."
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I oc because I hate permission slips. I used to carry my revolver on my leg around town, but now just carry my g21. The cops around here don't care much for it, but know better than to push it because of Sayers v Oh.
I get some looks here and there but I don't pay much mind to it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had my CHL since 05, not much for open carry, don't want to advertise.
As far as attention, being a Brit, I get enough of that when I open my mouth, so not much on getting much more..
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't normally see OC around here, but I don't spend a lot of time in public, either.

I DID see a guy OC'ing in Meijer, earlier last year. I noticed him because he was wearing a "cowboy" outfit. Not chaps and the like by western style clothing, boots, and a big cowboy had. Had a cannon of a revolver on his hip and no mask. Figured he was making a statement, but he didn't otherwise seem like a problem to me.

I was amused and kind of laughed at him, but I also didn't see anyone panic about the handgun. Hell, I'm not sure most were aware of it. If they were, no one reacted to it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If they were, no one reacted to it.
View Quote

As it should be imo.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top