Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2016 1:46:02 PM EDT
He even asked what type I was carrying, and said please just keep your hands away from that area.

My only other interactions have been with OSHP, and they were snotty about it. One was pretty good, one took the gun during the stop, and one got assertive for the remainder of the stop.

As for the ticket, I'm one of the slowest drivers in the world.  I set cruise whenever possible. I drive 50 miles to work, one way, so I drive legally knowing that my odds are high based on my time on the road.  I have an audible alert on my dash display, set to 75.  Just for a few seconds, I was travelling in traffic and not watching speed. Dammit!

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
He even asked what type I was carrying, and said please just keep your hands away from that area.My only other interactions have been with OSHP, and they were snotty about it. One was pretty good, one took the gun during the stop, and one got assertive for the remainder of the stop.

As for the ticket, I'm one of the slowest drivers in the world.  I set cruise whenever possible. I drive 50 miles to work, one way, so I drive legally knowing that my odds are high based on my time on the road.  I have an audible alert on my dash display, set to 75.  Just for a few seconds, I was travelling in traffic and not watching speed. Dammit!

View Quote

Every Columbus police officer I've "interacted with" has been extremely cool after going through my duty to inform. CPD has it together, IMHO.

I'd like to add that while much more professional about it, OSHP has never given me any guff about a CHL, either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You weren't on Gemini parkway were you? There was a motorcycle cop standing in the center turn lane hitting people with laser, pointing them over today. Looked like an easy day for him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
To be clear, I'll be paying $220, or whatever the hell the charge is in Columbus these days, for my transgression of driving at the same speed as everyone around me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me guess, headed West bound between i-71 and high street?

I drive 670 between Easton and 315 in each direction every day, I only ever see cops there where it drops to 55.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Headed toward the airport, eastbound, just before the exit for fifth ave, as you bend to the left, he was against the inner wall.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only time I ever "badged" my way out of a traffic stop was with An Ohio Trooper while I was traveling.

I had sheepishly apologized for speeding, told him he had me dead-to-rights, and that if he wanted to give me a ticket, I understood.  

He was extremely cool about it, and I was a little speechless, to be honest.  Very unexpected.
View Quote

I have been pulled over twice by troopers since I became a cop.  Both times I wasn't sure if I was getting a ticket or not.  I have really slowed down my driving in the past few years even on duty.  

Columbus is a pretty squared away department especially for their size.  I have trained with some of their firearms instructors and SWAT guys and almost all of them are good guys.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I was on 670 a week or so ago...man there was a couple people whipping around in there like they owned the place...scary.
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To be clear, I'll be paying $220, or whatever the hell the charge is in Columbus these days, for my transgression of driving at the same speed as everyone around me.
View Quote

How fast where you going? And what was the speed limit?
When was your last speeding ticket?
Got one a year ago! Cop was very nice!
Had not had a ticket of any kind in 30 years plus!!!
So I ask to in court, to have the charge,change to an equipment failure !
Cost was the same $169.00, but NO points on my license!!!
This was a small town! They make part of there budget with tickets!
I also was only doing 38 in 25!
Points on your license is slippery slop that I did not want to start!!!
Won't hurt to ask!!!
Let us know what it cost! An how many points did they give you!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going 14 over.

Last ticket in my small town was $219 for similar, and that was 5+ years ago.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was going 14 over.

Last ticket in my small town was $219 for similar, and that was 5+ years ago.

View Quote

So how many points did they give you last time?
You where not over that much. Unless it was a school zone!!
I would ask! If they are only after your money any way. And they
do not want to teach you a lesson! They may go for it!

Good Luck!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I got pulled over a few months ago. Small town I live near. Rolled a stop sign. Saw the cop but it was too late and  knew I was going to be stopped. I was stopped with my DL and CCW in hand before he came around the corner.
When he approched I told him I had a CCW and the pistol was in the console.  He said "all I need is your DL please leave the gun in the console".
When he came back all he said to me was "Stop at the sign from now on OK"  I said Yes sir . Stay safe and have a good day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless you are playing stupid games, they are cool.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh yeah... $172.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't feel any need to thank the LEO. You did what you are supposed to do and he did what he is supposed to do and you got the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I've only ever been pulled over once since I've had my CHL, and that was because the DMV's computers are slow to update. I didn't inform because I didn't have it on me at the time. Officer asked, I stated I didn't have it on me, he checked the registration that was printed 7 minutes before his scanner picked my plate up and he let me go. Stop took a total of 3 minutes and he didn't seem jumpy at all, even after he ran the plate to see I had my CHL and didn't inform him.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wouldn't feel any need to thank the LEO. You did what you are supposed to do and he did what he is supposed to do and you got the ticket.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm CFD so I deal with CPD on a regular basis. They deal with enough ghetto BS that as long as you are a good guy and not pulling any shenanigans they aren't going to give you any hassle CHL or not. Most I know are gun guys. Generally speaking cops who work in the hood are pretty chill when they know they are dealing with normal folks like most people on this board. It's a welcome relief actually. The guys who you have to watch out for are the "true believers" that work the small towns.

I've gotten stopped my OSP twice. Both times they were extremely cool. Didn't give me a ticket and didn't give me any gruff about carrying.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm CFD so I deal with CPD on a regular basis. They deal with enough ghetto BS that as long as you are a good guy and not pulling any shenanigans they aren't going to give you any hassle CHL or not. Most I know are gun guys. Generally speaking cops who work in the hood are pretty chill when they know they are dealing with normal folks like most people on this board. It's a welcome relief actually. The guys who you have to watch out for are the "true believers" that work the small towns.

I've gotten stopped my OSP twice. Both times they were extremely cool. Didn't give me a ticket and didn't give me any gruff about carrying.
View Quote

This. Most aren't out to hassle honest people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was stopped by OSP years ago when I was greatly exceeding the speed limit.  Young trooper said something sarcastic similar to "OK, let me see your pilots license."  I handed him my license and he took it back to his car.  He was there quite a bit of time and seemed to be having a hard time on the radio.  

He threw down the mic and stormed back to my window and asked "What the hell is THIS?"  "Exactly what you asked for, my pilot's license."  An embarrassing silence followed,   He started laughing about the hard time they were giving him on the radio and sent me on my way.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Now that gave me a chuckle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was stopped by OSP years ago when I was greatly exceeding the speed limit.  Young trooper said something sarcastic similar to "OK, let me see your pilots license."  I handed him my license and he took it back to his car.  He was there quite a bit of time and seemed to be having a hard time on the radio.  

He threw down the mic and stormed back to my window and asked "What the hell is THIS?"  "Exactly what you asked for, my pilot's license."  An embarrassing silence followed,   He started laughing about the hard time they were giving him on the radio and sent me on my way.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I never understood the "duty to inform".

I'm not a cop but it seems to me every car has a gun or at least that is my assumption.

I got my ticket from an Indiana State and didn't know you didn't have to inform.

I told him and he said thanks but you don't have to do that and then asked for my CHL.

Didn't ask where it was and acted like he could care less.

In Indiana its a civil offense if you pay the extra which I didn't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I never understood the "duty to inform".

I'm not a cop but it seems to me every car has a gun or at least that is my assumption.

I got my ticket from an Indiana State and didn't know you didn't have to inform.

I told him and he said thanks but you don't have to do that and then asked for my CHL.

Didn't ask where it was and acted like he could care less.

In Indiana its a civil offense if you pay the extra which I didn't.
View Quote
When we first got CHLin Ohio, I have heard that when the officer ran your plate the results came back informing him you are a CHL holder.  It also came back with an audible tone that was the same tone as felony warrant or stolen car or something similar.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong?  They changed that somewhat quickly.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thank people all the time when they are professional, respectful, courteous....  even if it is part of their job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I got stopped Sunday on I-75. Trooper was nice and wasn't surprised i had a CCW. He just asked where it was ( glove box) and said okay just leave it there.

I got a ticket anyway and probably deserved it. He was very professional and polite.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top