Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/14/2013 2:28:50 PM EDT
I was out deer hunting last weekend and I thought I heard voices.  Then later I heard someone walking around, I left my stand and found a guy digging with his hands.  When I yelled at him he just kind of pretended that he didn't hear me.  when I got over to him I asked him what he was doing and this was private property.  He told me he was ginseng hunting and didn't know it was private property.  Then his buddy who was on my neighbors property climbed the fence and came over.  I asked them if they knew it was deer season and they have been luck they weren't shot yet.  I told them to leave and dont come back.  

Ive heard the ginseng is expensive, maybe I should start hunting it

Here is where they passed my trail cam.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
And I hear in more southern counties it's a common problem and people are getting criminally charged.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This was Muskingum Co.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't f with this.  Keep your guard up and stay on high alert.  Not that I have to tell you. You know what I mean here.

Based on what I could see, these two look like rough dudes, maybe on a "trip" in the woods.

Just watch your backs out there.  Desperation is a nasty thing and its driving the city dwellers to come to out neck of the woods; quite literally.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
ginseng or harvesting ganja?  

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
at least they didn't harvest your trail camera.

ginseng, morel mushrooms and hunting are the big three around here. a lot of these people are good at stealing these things from land owners.

take photos and tell them if you see them again you will turn them over to the law.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have always heard that in Ohio, it is not trespassing unless the land is posted, or they were asked to leave and refused.  The word "Knowingly" below seems to support this, but I am not a lawyer.

Ohio Law

" 2911.21 Criminal trespass.

(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another; "
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Over the last 12 years, I have "Posted" over 60+ signs and have maybe 2 remaining on the perimeter of our 38+ acres in Belmont County.

These posted signs always get "torn" or "shot" down, every season after they have been "nailed high".  This year I just didn't put any up, maybe next year.

In the last month I have found trail marker ribbon, tied to trees.  I removed some weeks ago, then found more this last weekend in the same spot.

Without living on the vacant land, it's hard to enforce living 2 hrs away.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is what the ODNR says about Hunting Ginseng

I guess at least they were in season

There are no hunting signs up, and fences to cross.  They were on my neighbors posted property and crossed onto mine.  They knew they what they were doing.

I guess its like going into a criminal protection zone and then saying you didn't know the place was posted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is what the ODNR says about Hunting Ginseng

I guess at least they were in season

There are no hunting signs up, and fences to cross.  They were on my neighbors posted property and crossed onto mine.  They knew they what they were doing.

I guess its like going into a criminal protection zone and then saying you didn't know the place was posted.
View Quote

You should have immediately called ODNR.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have land that is trespassed all the time for fishing and hunting I wish it were legal to make traps for humans to make them fear the property. Laws are always on the criminals side. I have posted over 20 signs a year they always get destroyed. It is bull shit that I cannot set traps to stop this but laws in all. Are for criminals. I spent over 2 grand on fencing 8 years ago to only have it cut a trashed by these trash!
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have always heard that in Ohio, it is not trespassing unless the land is posted, or they were asked to leave and refused.  The word "Knowingly" below seems to support this, but I am not a lawyer.

Ohio Law

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ohio Law

No it is still trespassing it is just hard to get it to stick in court as they will just claim they didn't know they were trespassing. When it is obviously posted then it is very hard for them to make that defense as they are also considered criminal trespassing under 3 & 4 of that section as well.

ORC 2911.21 (A)
(3) Recklessly enter or remain on the land or premises of another, as to which notice against unauthorized access or presence is given by actual communication to the offender, or in a manner prescribed by law, or by posting in a manner reasonably calculated to come to the attention of potential intruders, or by fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to restrict access;

(4) Being on the land or premises of another, negligently fail or refuse to leave upon being notified by signage posted in a conspicuous place or otherwise being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#12]
they say they were hunting this ginseng but I do not trust anyone anymore! people will say anything to cover up what their real intensions originally were. they don't look like hunters to me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
they say they were hunting this ginseng but I do not trust anyone anymore! people will say anything to cover up what their real intensions originally were. they don't look like hunters to me.
View Quote

What do ginseng hunters look like?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#14]
You need permission to be on private property if it is posted or not.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Neck tats....
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You need permission to be on private property if it is posted or not.
View Quote

Their excuse was ginseng, ODNR says you must have written permission, same as hunting and trapping.  Not knowing properties is not an excuse.  Plain and simple, they broke the law.  Granted I didn't know that was written so clearly, but, that's no excuse for them either.  Now that you (we) know, any future encounters should include law enforcement.  

Most importantly, be safe out there, could just be dumb kids looking for free plants, might be a lot worse.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#17]
My neighbor digs for Ginseng. Makes Mucho Grande $ doing it here in Ohio.  Throw them the hell off your property.  It could quite literally amount to a grand theft charge depending on how much they take.

Research it it up and collect yourself.
Profit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#18]
"Seng hunters" are the biggest trespassers I know, it isn't hard to do when no shots are fired as in hunting to give their position and presence away

I know maybe 15 hard core ginseng hunters and every single one of them will cross property lines and every single one of them believe they can talk their way out of having the sheriff called or can outrun/outwalk the land owner that catches them

Fuck illegal seng hunters, turn every one of them in if you catch them but be prepared and don't turn your back on them, hell if they won't stop walk behind them to their vehicle but be warned they may walk in wide circles while trying to figure out how to shake the landowner

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Sometimes it turns out bad for all parties.

Man shot while...
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been chasing people off my and my inlaws property for 16 years since we built. It never ends.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I am a city-dweller so I'm not out in the country as much as some of you guys.  That said I can't for the life of me understand what makes someone feel like they can just walk onto someone's property and harvest what is growing there.  It's not just a legal issue but a moral one.  

I hike, backpack, and shoot so I am in the country a lot more than most city folk.  I have never driven past an area with the assumption that it wasn't someone's property whether it was fenced, posted with signs, or not.  It must belong to someone.  I wouldn't dream of just wandering onto someone's property for a walk much less with the intention of searching out and harvesting ginseng, mushrooms, animals, or anything while there.  

It is a shame that this kind of behavior is as wide-spread as it sounds like it is.  What really blows me away is the wholesale tearing down of no-trespassing signs that you guys are experiencing.  I guess that it's just more confirmation that we are rapidly losing our morality on a societal level.

I feel for you guys, and as advised by others above stay alert and safe.  There is already something broken in these individuals that you are encountering on your property, who knows what they are capable of...

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you have any farm machinery laying around?  Might be scrap thieves.  They certainly don't look all that outdoorsey.
View Quote

No farm machinery, they came in from the back side of the property.  When I caught them they were only on my property by 50 yards or so - they traveled/trespassed a long way to get up to me.  The closest road is about a mile the way the crow flies.  The when I asked him how he got there he said his brother dropped them off.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Some old man in Preble Co just shot and killed a guy trespassing and looking for ginseng.

I've been looking at properties in Preble Co, is that the kind of BS I will have to put up with?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Crap like that makes me think about CCW'ing while hunting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would hunting be different from any other time?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#27]
If he was digging, it probably was for ginseng. Nothing deters people anymore. Especially if they know you don't live there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was out deer hunting last weekend and I thought I heard voices.  Then later I heard someone walking around, I left my stand and found a guy digging with his hands.  When I yelled at him he just kind of pretended that he didn't hear me.  when I got over to him I asked him what he was doing and this was private property.  He told me he was ginseng hunting and didn't know it was private property.  Then his buddy who was on my neighbors property climbed the fence and came over.  I asked them if they knew it was deer season and they have been luck they weren't shot yet.  I told them to leave and dont come back.  

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/7528/94ej.jpg
View Quote

Its hard to tell, but I think those two goomers are looking right at your ginseng. I think I spy a couple of plants...
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What reason do you have not to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What reason do you have not to?

Just didn't think it through this year I guess. This is my first year bow hunting. Previously, I've only hunted during gun season. Lame, I know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#31]
1. Good, wild ginseng can be very expensive. People in Asia use it for traditional medicine and there is a lucrative market.
2. An incident happened in Minnesota in 2004 when a hunter of Hmong ethnicity, Chai Vang, ventured into a private property while carrying a SKS. He was approached by the landowner, got a warning that contained racial slurs, offered direction to a nearby trail, and walked away from the perimeter.  The landowner radioed backup to the site. What happened next was disputed by the two sides. People who were with the landowner said Vang turned back and opened fire on them first. Vang stated one of the occupants of that group fired to the ground near him first and he was aimed at by other hunters.
It seemed that Vang was a mercenary who fought with the U.S. special force in Vietnam prior to seeking refugee here in the States after Vietnam War. He removed scope from his SKS before firing.

Here is the outcome.
Landowner site: A hunting party of 15 people ended up with six dead, two wounded. Four of them were shot in their back.
Chai Vang: He walked away to a nearby road, hitchhiked for a ride, and got arrested five hours later. He was given a life sentence.

I think it could be a dangerous situation for both sides involved a trespassing incident. Personally, I will make sure our property is marked and stayed out of others' property. Regardless, I think all of us should "be polite, be professional, and be ready to defend ourselves" (This is a quote but I forget who said it first).
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Personally, I would suggest you to report them to local authority so they can get charged. This might deter other trespassers and protect other landowner's property.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Some shady ass ginseng hunters.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Personally, I would suggest you to report them to local authority so they can get charged. This might deter other trespassers and protect other landowner's property.
View Quote

Even if I wanted to go with this option any idea how it would work?  How do you get the guys to stay in one place long enough for the law to arrive?  Cell phones dont always work (most of the time they never work - unless your on top of the hill) Would you just take a picture? or follow them onto other peoples property until you get cell phone - could be miles/hours

Just wondering how you guys would handle this - thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Ask to see ID, take pictures with cell phone, tell them you are informing law enforcement that you have personally told them they are not welcome and not to come back. Call local LEO and let them handle it from there. Make sure to get pictures first so you can show/give them to LEO. Odds are high they have probably dealt with them before if they are going to be trouble.

Whatever you do, do NOT prevent them from leaving if they try. If they leave before LEO arive, try to watch how they go and set up cameras to chck for future problems
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ask to see ID, take pictures with cell phone, tell them you are informing law enforcement that you have personally told them they are not welcome and not to come back. Call local LEO and let them handle it from there. Make sure to get pictures first so you can show/give them to LEO. Odds are high they have probably dealt with them before if they are going to be trouble.

Whatever you do, do NOT prevent them from leaving if they try. If they leave before LEO arive, try to watch how they go and set up cameras to chck for future problems
View Quote

Pretty brave....
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:33:43 AM EDT
[#37]
From a similar experience from a friend's land in the Bainbridge area, this is good advice.

Even if you can't/don't want to get photos, in most areas, the local sheriff or DOW officer will know who you talking about.  Make it clear that you will be calling them again and prosecuting anyone trespassing and then do it.  The word will get back to them (and on to others) and they will move on to easier grounds.

JLE

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't CCW now while hunting???
Hunting is the one place where you are likely to come across others who ARE armed.
Not all of them are well-intentioned, law-abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Its hard to tell, but I think those two goomers are looking right at your ginseng. I think I spy a couple of plants...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/7528/94ej.jpg

Yep. Looks like typical ginseng woods. I found some at my camp a couple Thursdays ago. It's easy to spot this time of year - the berries are bright red and the leaves are yellow. It really stands out in the woods right now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I found some today.  Is this ginseng?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/6636/kynw.jpg
View Quote

No, "Sang" is a ground plant and not "Briars" or trees but do you have any grouse in the area?

I haven't hunted it in years hell I haven't hunted mushrooms in years either and I think the ODNR changed the laws a few times? but I think the last I heard was the red berries had to be present to pick?

Please don't quote me on the berries being present but I am sure someone with way more knowledge will correct me

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am a city-dweller so I'm not out in the country as much as some of you guys.  That said I can't for the life of me understand what makes someone feel like they can just walk onto someone's property and harvest what is growing there.  It's not just a legal issue but a moral one.  

I hike, backpack, and shoot so I am in the country a lot more than most city folk.  I have never driven past an area with the assumption that it wasn't someone's property whether it was fenced, posted with signs, or not.  It must belong to someone.  I wouldn't dream of just wandering onto someone's property for a walk much less with the intention of searching out and harvesting ginseng, mushrooms, animals, or anything while there.  

It is a shame that this kind of behavior is as wide-spread as it sounds like it is.  What really blows me away is the wholesale tearing down of no-trespassing signs that you guys are experiencing.  I guess that it's just more confirmation that we are rapidly losing our morality on a societal level.

I feel for you guys, and as advised by others above stay alert and safe.  There is already something broken in these individuals that you are encountering on your property, who knows what they are capable of...

View Quote

my next step is gonna be heavy gauge steel signs with razer  wire wrapped around it around 7or 8 feet up a  buckthorn trees and cleared just enough so they cannot say they didn't see it if someone wants to try and fuck with buckthorns and razorwireto remove the next setup then they are nuts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. Ginseng only gets about 12 - 18 inches tall...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:55:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Good thing I didn't put any in my tea
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

MF Rose
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good thing I didn't put any in my tea
View Quote

Those wouldn't hurt you. They are rose hips, found on rosa multiflora, an invasive species from Asia. They are high in vitamin C and are edible for the most part. The plant will tear you up and draw blood given the chance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, "Sang" is a ground plant and not "Briars" or trees but do you have any grouse in the area?
I haven't hunted it in years hell I haven't hunted mushrooms in years either and I think the ODNR changed the laws a few times? but I think the last I heard was the red berries had to be present to pick?
Please don't quote me on the berries being present but I am sure someone with way more knowledge will correct me

http://www.shawblackfarm.com/images/pages/American_Ginseng_plant_red_berryScaled4.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3PF3q9C5-iM/Tm-90FwKYrI/AAAAAAAAFyY/T242DnJbAos/s400/IMG_0607WLG.jpghttp://i1.ytimg.com/vi/2sUCNKJ4nYg/maxresdefault.jpg?feature=og    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.shawblackfarm.com/images/pages/American_Ginseng_plant_red_berryScaled4.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3PF3q9C5-iM/Tm-90FwKYrI/AAAAAAAAFyY/T242DnJbAos/s400/IMG_0607WLG.jpghttp://i1.ytimg.com/vi/2sUCNKJ4nYg/maxresdefault.jpg?feature=og    

Ohio ginseng regs in a nutshell from ODNR as copied from the 2013-2014 Ohio Hunting & trapping regs booklet

GINSENG
No person shall dig, harvest, or other
wise collect wild ginseng from its natural
habitat except during the season of Sept.
1 through Dec. 31 of each year. Ginseng
plants with unripened berries or which
have less than three-leaf stems (prongs)
cannot be harvested. Seeds from wild
ginseng plants shall be immediately re-
planted at the place where the plants were
collected. Any person collecting ginseng
is required to keep accurate records show-
ing the number of pounds and ounces of
ginseng, both green and/or dry weight,
collected in each Ohio county by date of
collection. Dealers and buyers shall ac-
quire a state dealer’s registration permit
each year prior to purchasing or otherwise
acquiring Ohio ginseng. No person shall
harvest wild or cultivated ginseng from
private or public property without first
obtaining written permission from the
landowner or their agent. Collection is
prohibited on ODNR property. For more
information on ginseng harvest, contact
the Ohio Division of Wildlife.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top