Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/15/2012 12:47:37 PM EDT
I missed him by 45 minutes today. This is one of the "closest" encounters I've had since being a CHL holder.

My employee and I arrived at 8am, and saw two CPD cruisers parked in front of the doors, and I jokingly said, I wonder if they got robbed. Patty, one of the awesome employees we've become friends with over the years, told us a guy held her up at gunpoint this morning. She's an older lady, full of energy, super funny. She was actually laughing when I talked to her, I'm not quite sure that I would be after being held up.

So after seeing this happen, the scenarios ran through my head. Of course it's easy to say you would have shot the guy if you saw him pointing a gun at one of your friends, but would you have done it from behind, or wait until he turned around?

Seeing as how the guy is still loose, and he robbed the same Speedway twice in a week, there's always the chance that he may come back.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/11/15/columbus-man-wearing-green-gloves-pants-robs-gas-station-clerks.html

You have to admit, you've been walking around saying, "I wish a mother f-er would..." since they day you obtained your CHL, too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should stand behind the Hostess stand and hide since she nor the other employees are my immediate family.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that's the worst attitude about CHL I've ever seen. Im not sure if your just trolling, but if you are serious, you hafta be an idiot to want the shitstorm that would follow you if you shot someone...
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Which one do you go into??
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You have to admit, you've been walking around saying, "I wish a mother f-er would..." since they day you obtained your CHL, too.

Actually no, quite the opposite.  That's a test that I hope I will never have to take...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yes, this would look great in court while youre pleading self defense

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a quote from Mr.ColionNoir on YouTube when he's talking about the different types of gun owners, but I guess no one got the reference.

Talked to the manager today, and he said that the guy put the gun on the counter, demanded money from Patty, and she told him he's not getting her 10s and 20s. So she ended up giving her the ones and fives. The manager Michael, actually told the guy, "Man, why don't you go rob someone else."

Michael put his arms up in the air, in the universal "freeze" signal. There were 10-12 people in line, directly behind the robber. And he said that all of the people just stood there, and not a single person took out their cell phone to call 911. Everyone just stood there behind the guy, like he was buying a pack of gum.

No one wants to ever have to shoot anyone, but maybe after reading this, some of you will actually run through the scenario in your head of what you'd do, and not wait until the situation presented itself.

The 70 year old man that shot the two robbers at the "skill arcade/internet cafe" place in Florid; I guess he was lucky that what he thought was right, the public didn't think that he was wrong.

Another one of the girls that works at the same Thorton's on N. Wilson Rd, actually got held up at gunpoint when she worked at the Wendy's right across the street. The area seems to be rampant with crime lately.

And after thinking about the situation for a while, I'd say the best thing to do is hide behind the Hostess stand, but there won't be much cover since there are no more Twinkies on the shelf.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Sheriff’s Office Questioning Man In Connection With ‘Green Glove Bandit’ Robberies

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Franklin County
Sheriff’s Office is working to link a man arrested in connection with a
west Columbus gas station robbery to the "Green Glove Bandit” robberies.

According to the sheriff’s office, Jerry J. Haywood was arrested Friday morning.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/11/16/columbus-green-glove-bandit-robberies-person-arrested-link.html

According to Columbus police and the Franklin County Sheriff's Office, the robberies occurred as follows:

• Oct. 29: Certified, 3204 W. Broad St. – 2:38 a.m.

• Oct. 31: Thorntons, 1771 Norton Rd. – 12:41 a.m.

• Nov. 1: Certified, 3204 W. Broad St. – 1:48 a.m.

• Nov. 3: Herbert's Market, 1121 Sullivant Ave. – 7 p.m.

• Nov. 8: Herbert's Market, 1121 Sullivant Ave. – 10:10 p.m.

• Nov. 10: UDF, 530 S. Hague Ave. – 2:04 a.m.

• Nov. 10: Marathon, 2860 Winchester Pike

• Nov. 12: Speedway, 4797 W. Broad St. – 10 a.m.

• Nov. 15: Speedway, 4797 W. Broad St. – 1 a.m.

• Nov. 15: Mobile Mart, 2635 W. Broad St. – 7 a.m.

• Nov. 15: Thorntons, 2333 Wilson Rd. – 7:45 a.m.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a quote from Mr.ColionNoir on YouTube when he's talking about the different types of gun owners, but I guess no one got the reference.

Talked to the manager today, and he said that the guy put the gun on the counter, demanded money from Patty, and she told him he's not getting her 10s and 20s. So she ended up giving her the ones and fives. The manager Michael, actually told the guy, "Man, why don't you go rob someone else."

Michael put his arms up in the air, in the universal "freeze" signal. There were 10-12 people in line, directly behind the robber. And he said that all of the people just stood there, and not a single person took out their cell phone to call 911. Everyone just stood there behind the guy, like he was buying a pack of gum.

No one wants to ever have to shoot anyone, but maybe after reading this, some of you will actually run through the scenario in your head of what you'd do, and not wait until the situation presented itself.

The 70 year old man that shot the two robbers at the "skill arcade/internet cafe" place in Florid; I guess he was lucky that what he thought was right, the public didn't think that he was wrong.

Another one of the girls that works at the same Thorton's on N. Wilson Rd, actually got held up at gunpoint when she worked at the Wendy's right across the street. The area seems to be rampant with crime lately.

And after thinking about the situation for a while, I'd say the best thing to do is hide behind the Hostess stand, but there won't be much cover since there are no more Twinkies on the shelf.

Bad things eventually happen to bad people. GOOD FOR YOU! More people need to think like you, Sir!  You just brought a tear to my eye
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Florida's laws allow for the use of deadly force to stop a forcible felony.  Ohio law does not.  If you are not in your house or your car, you have to have reason to fear that you face eminent death or serious bodily harm, and that there is no escape.  If you shoot someone in that situation, you very well be criminally charged, and sued by the bad guy or his survivors.  The burden of proof will be on you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it would be completely justified to put a bullet in the back of the guy's head if you were standing in line when that happened.  Any sane person that is in a building during an armed robbery should fear for his/her life, what if the punk decides he doesn't want any witnesses?.  Running out the front door to maybe get shot in the back is not an option.  If you're a customer you may not be able to find the back door to slip out.  Cowering in a corner isn't a good option should he decide to shoot the place up.  

In an armed robbery, there is little chance of mistaking who the aggressor is and who the victim is.  In most situations intervening is a bad idea because you don't know what you're walking into, this is different.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Ohio law allows for self defense to be applied to the defense of others as well.  Meaning all that you would have to do is show that the clerk was feared for her life and that she had no option to retreat, which should be pretty simple.  But, even without this, I still think it would be a good self defense case.

I'd like to think most juries wouldn't be willing to convict someone for stopping an armed robbery anyways.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think it would be completely justified to put a bullet in the back of the guy's head if you were standing in line when that happened.  Any sane person that is in a building during an armed robbery should fear for his/her life, what if the punk decides he doesn't want any witnesses?.  Running out the front door to maybe get shot in the back is not an option.  If you're a customer you may not be able to find the back door to slip out.  Cowering in a corner isn't a good option should he decide to shoot the place up.  

In an armed robbery, there is little chance of mistaking who the aggressor is and who the victim is.  In most situations intervening is a bad idea because you don't know what you're walking into, this is different.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Ohio law allows for self defense to be applied to the defense of others as well.  Meaning all that you would have to do is show that the clerk was feared for her life and that she had no option to retreat, which should be pretty simple.  But, even without this, I still think it would be a good self defense case.

I'd like to think most juries wouldn't be willing to convict someone for stopping an armed robbery anyways.

First of all, yes. Ohio law allows for the defense of others in peril of death or GBH.  Also, I agree that having a gun pointed at them by a bad guy puts them in that peril.  What I wonder about is what a prosecutor or jury would say.  Without "stand your ground", there has to be no escape.  The argument could be made that all you had to do was put the money in the bag, and the bad guy would have left.  Obviously, there's no way to know that, but stupid things happen in court.  Especially at civil trials.  Just playing Devils Advocate for discussion here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, yes. Ohio law allows for the defense of others in peril of death or GBH.  Also, I agree that having a gun pointed at them by a bad guy puts them in that peril.  What I wonder about is what a prosecutor or jury would say.  Without "stand your ground", there has to be no escape.  The argument could be made that all you had to do was put the money in the bag, and the bad guy would have left.  Obviously, there's no way to know that, but stupid things happen in court.  Especially at civil trials.  Just playing Devils Advocate for discussion here.

Glad I don't live in your county

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  I know.  Florida: It's you fault George. All you had to do is stay in the car.  Same thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  I know.  Florida: It's you fault George. All you had to do is stay in the car.  Same thing.

yeh because someone pointing a gun at a cashier and the George Zimmerman case are sooooooo alike

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
These arguments are funny.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

yeh because someone pointing a gun at a cashier and the George Zimmerman case are sooooooo alike

They are nothing alike. My point was only that even if you're perfectly in the right, someone is liable to twist things upside down to prosecute you.  But fuck it.  I was trying to have a conversation, not an argument.  Shoot him in the back of the head.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top