Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/29/2011 10:44:08 PM EDT
Ohio firearms and concealed carry laws change Friday, September 30 - What do these improvements mean for you?
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8003 see link for embedded video and easier to read format

by Ken Hanson, Esq.

Please understand that your local sheriff, police and judges might not be aware of these changes. Patience and communication is the key.
Change to Ohio's Firearm Disability Law

Effective this Friday, non-felony drug convictions (i.e. misdemeanor and minor misdemeanor) are no longer firearm disabilities under Ohio law. (These non-felony convictions were never disabilities under federal law.) People with non-felony drug convictions do not need to take any action; they will automatically be relieved from disability on Friday. HOWEVER, any drug conviction, felony or otherwise, is still a disqualifier for the Ohio concealed carry license. Persons with non-felony drug convictions may still obtain and fully use other states' concealed carry licenses, so long as that state does not impose a drug conviction disqualifier.
Change to Ohio's Restoration of Rights Law

Ohio's restoration of firearm rights law was previously invalid in the eyes of the federal government. Effective Friday, this should change automatically and the federal government should once again accept any Ohio court order restoring firearm rights. The area that remains to be seen is whether orders restoring firearm rights PREVIOUSLY granted will be honored by the federal government. Our "fix" specifically says it is retroactive to all prior restoration of rights orders. It remains to be seen whether the federal government honors this intent.

Change to Ohio's Car Carry Provisions
Effective Friday, Ohio no longer places explicit restrictions on how someone with a concealed carry license may carry a gun in a vehicle. In other words, Ohio joins the other 48 states allowing concealed carry. Keep in mind that just because Ohio no longer micro-manages vehicle carry does not mean that people are free from potential criminal charges. Firearms in a vehicle still may not be accessible to children, persons under firearm disability etc. Stated another way, if you are alone in your car, whatever you want to do is fine. If you have children in the car, you must carry the handgun in a manner that the children cannot access if you want to be free of potential criminal charges.

Change to Ohio's Liquor Permit Prohibition
Effective Friday, Ohio's liquor permit prohibition, R.C. 2923.121, no longer applies to licensees so long as 1.) they do not consume alcohol in the liquor permit facility, not even a sip, and 2.) they are not already under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The licensee is cautioned, however, that liquor permit facilities are still private property, and private property owners may ban all firearms (or all yellow neckties etc) simply by posting a sign to that effect. The important difference is that a liquor permit facility owner posting a sign is only creating a trespass violation; they are not putting the licensee back under the felony penalties of our liquor permit prohibition.
Please keep in mind that no-gun signs will likely start to go up in the next month, just as they did in April of 2004 when Ohio adopted a concealed carry license. Just as back in 2004, these signs will start to come down as the law goes into effect over the upcoming months. In the meantime, take your business where it is welcome.

CLICK HERE for answers to frequently asked questions about the new law.
Ken Hanson is a gun rights attorney in Ohio. He serves as the Legislative Chair for Buckeye Firearms Association, and is the attorney of record for Buckeye Firearms Foundation, which filed friend-of-the-court briefs in the Heller and McDonald Supreme Court cases. The National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) has awarded him with its 2008 Defender of Justice Award and 2009 Jay M. Littlefield Volunteer of the Year Award. He is the author of The Ohio Guide to Firearm Laws, a certified firearms instructor and holds a Type 01 Federal Firearms License.

Media Coverage:
Cincinnati Enquirer - Carrying guns in bars to be legal come Friday
(Be sure to vote in the on-line poll)
Cincinnati Enquirer - Questions and answers on the new gun law
Ohio News Network - Law Allowing Guns In Bars Starts Friday
(Be sure to vote in the on-line poll)

While opponents fear a "wild west shootout scenario," Joe Eaton with Buckeye Firearms said that the majority of permit holders are law abiding citizens.
   "The licenses holders are among the most honest in the state. They are the ones that are following the laws. Less than one-half of one percent of the license in Ohio have been revoked for any reason at all. Simply having this and expanding the places where we can take our families out to eat is not going to change that at all," said Eaton.
   Supporters of the law told ONN-TV that more than 40 state already have a similar rules in place.

WCMH (NBC Columbus) - It's Official: Owners Can Carry Weapons In Bars

Proponents of the law said it's a self defense issue and that just because someone can go into an establishment that sells alcohol doesn't mean they're going to be drunk. In fact, the law prohibits any consumption if someone is carrying a gun.
   "Now if I've got my family with me, I got a moral obligation to do everything in my power to defend them if a madman comes in and wants to do us harm," said Linda Walker with Buckeye Firearms Association.
   It will be up to each business if they want to allow it or not.
   ..."This is going to extend my self defense rights and it's not changing anything else," said Walker.

WDTN (NBC Dayton) - Concealed gun law takes effect Friday

WHIZ (NBC Zanesville) - New Concealed-Carry Law in Effect

Then said he unto them, But now, He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one Luke 22:36
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe SB 184 allows people to transport unloaded pistols in their vehicles with no loaded magazines. Ammo can be in a box right next to the pistol. That is the most important change which benefits me. I never visit a bar which is one of the main thrusts of SB 17.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I believe SB 184 allows people to transport unloaded pistols in their vehicles with no loaded magazines. Ammo can be in a box right next to the pistol. That is the most important change which benefits me. I never visit a bar which is one of the main thrusts of SB 17.

SB 184 was passed over three years ago.

The main point of SB 17 is restaurant carry.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice how the media continues to call it "bar carry".
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
So, for example, "if you are alone in your car, whatever you want to do is fine", i can do whatever? If i wanted to i could throw it up on my dashboard? Would that cause any problems with brandishing? Not that i would want to , but i want to know if i have any limits or if i can really do pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, for example, "if you are alone in your car, whatever you want to do is fine", i can do whatever? If i wanted to i could throw it up on my dashboard? Would that cause any problems with brandishing? Not that i would want to , but i want to know if i have any limits or if i can really do pretty much anything.

Sounds like it, but it'd be prudent to use common sense.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]
For transportation it opens the chance to use a holster that mounts under the steering wheel or to the side of the consol where the weapon is secure but useable if need be.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Yes, and finally fixing car carry of course

Quoted:

Quoted:

SB 184 was passed over three years ago.  

The main point of SB 17 is restaurant carry.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top