Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/5/2011 1:54:01 PM EDT
What a uncooperative over priced joke.

I called them yesterday (Friday). The owner answered and I told him that I had 3 questions, he said go ahead, I asked him if he had a magazine for a Lee Enfield rifle, he said what's your second question, I said do you have any Springfield 1903 rifles,
he said yes, go ahead with your third question, I asked him if he had any M1 Carbines, he said yes.  I asked for the prices and he said that he didn't quote prices on the phone. I stated that I was on the other side of town. I was in Blanchester when I called.
I said can you give me a close ball park figure, he said no because he has to many guns in stock and he still won't quote a price on the phone. So I asked him about the Enfield mag again and he said to stop over and he would have him (Meaning his son)
I guess would give me a price.

So I made the trip over to his rip off store and the only 1903 rifle that I saw was chrome plated and priced at $499.00. I would imagine that it is a parade model that might not even shot live ammo. The few M1 Carbines that I saw started at about $750.00
on up to about 12 hundred. So I pulled out my Lee Enfield Magazine and asked his son if he had one in stock. He said that if I do it will come with the gun.

At the prices that they charge and the attitude that they show. They must be a front for something else. They even make Target World look cheap.

That's my rant for today.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I had the same dealings with them once before. Screw that. I hope they go out of business. There is a good FFL in the sharonville- West Chester area at Shoot Rite Arms, but he doesn't have any old military guns. He will do your transfers for $25 though and seems to be a good honest guy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up.  I put them on my shit list.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had the same kind of experiences with shops, I called a shop a couple years back looking for a scope. The guy told me well I think I might have this or that over there not sure, I then ask him if he could check to be sure and asked about a price and he told me to stop in. I then tried to reason with him and tell him that I was 40 miles away one way and that I would hate to make the trip for nothing..but that I was willing to give him my business if we could get together on a price..and he told me again to stop by..I just ended the conversation and took my money someplace else, the guy just acted like he didnt want to take 2-3 minutes to take a look for me. I had another owner give me the I dont do quotes over the phone thing..I tried to tell him to that I was a descent drive away from him and he didnt budge, I try not to sweat it to bad and just take my money where somebody acts like they know the meaning of customer service.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up.  I put them on my shit list.

this
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The old guy at Petersons was once described to me as a little quirky.  That's an understatement.  There seems to be a bad attitude that is common among some shop owners / employees.  They run more business off than they conduct.  I've had experiences like that with a lot of smaller independent shops.  More and more I skip the shops altogether and go to the Internet.  The one exception is Afield where I might visit once a month or so just to see what kind of nice used guns he's taken in.  I snagged a like new P228 there which I guess is what keeps me coming back.  They are very nice people there as well!
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The old guy at Petersons was once described to me as a little quirky.  That's an understatement.  There seems to be a bad attitude that is common among some shop owners / employees.  They run more business off than they conduct.  I've had experiences like that with a lot of smaller independent shops.  More and more I skip the shops altogether and go to the Internet.  The one exception is Afield where I might visit once a month or so just to see what kind of nice used guns he's taken in.  I snagged a like new P228 there which I guess is what keeps me coming back.  They are very nice people there as well!

Where is Afield?  Is that the shop over by the I275 and I74 intersection?

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is Afield?  Is that the shop over by the I275 and I74 intersection?

Yes, thats the one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if I'm the only person in SW Ohio that likes Peterson's.... the owner certainly is a crotchety old bastard, but that is exactly why I like him.  It's very entertaining to be talking to him when ghetto-thug or wanna-be-ghetto-thugs come strolling into the shop.  He isn't very polite, but he's very to the point.  I very much enjoy going in there to have a chat with him.  I've gotten some steals in there as well on Series 70 Colts and pre-lock SW revolvers.

His boy seems decent, only ever talked to him twice....

If your in the market for HIGH END (and I do mean high end) quality shotguns... he's the only game in town.  He has drillings worth more than my house.
If your looking for good quality, high end rifles of old manufacture ... he's a good option.
If your looking for older Colt and Smith & Wesson... he's a good option.

If your looking for .mil type stuff... he's not a good option.  He's very Pro-2A, but he is pretty much a FUDD... he'll happily sell you a EBR, but he doesn't stock em.

The boy is a bit nicer on the phone, but neither is going to "shop" with you over the phone... like any shop owner, they want you to come in so they can relieve you of some cash.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
What's a high end quality shotgun?  You talking about Kolar, Perazzi, Silver Seitz?  If you are, and I consider $10,000-$15,000 hi end, then Country Attic has them.  In fact, Country Attic in South Lebanon has more shotguns of all types then most any place I have ever seen, including Bass Pro Shop.  The fact is, we don't have to deal with assholes in the gun business who think because they have a license to deal in arms, it's also a license to act like a jackass to people either on the phone or in person.

Fuck 'em, I don't do business with jerks.  Period!
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder if I'm the only person in SW Ohio that likes Peterson's.... the owner certainly is a crotchety old bastard, but that is exactly why I like him.  It's very entertaining to be talking to him when ghetto-thug or wanna-be-ghetto-thugs come strolling into the shop.  He isn't very polite, but he's very to the point.  I very much enjoy going in there to have a chat with him.  I've gotten some steals in there as well on Series 70 Colts and pre-lock SW revolvers.

If your in the market for HIGH END (and I do mean high end) quality shotguns... he's the only game in town.  He has drillings worth more than my house.
If your looking for good quality, high end rifles of old manufacture ... he's a good option.

If your looking for .mil type stuff... he's not a good option.  He's very Pro-2A, but he is pretty much a FUDD... he'll happily sell you a EBR, but he doesn't stock em.

The boy is a bit nicer on the phone, but neither is going to "shop" with you over the phone... like any shop owner, they want you to come in so they can relieve you of some cash.

Your right. If you want something used that's hard to find, they probably have it. But you'll pay triple the market price. And the "I don't quote price's over the phone" shit don't work either!

I still think that they must be a front for drugs, money laundering, illegal firearms or something. NOBODY THAT ARROGANT CAN STAY IN BUSINESS.  UNLESS THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL

I'll spend my money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's a high end quality shotgun?  You talking about Kolar, Perazzi, Silver Seitz?  If you are, and I consider $10,000-$15,000 hi end, then Country Attic has them.  In fact, Country Attic in South Lebanon has more shotguns of all types then most any place I have ever seen, including Bass Pro Shop.  The fact is, we don't have to deal with assholes in the gun business who think because they have a license to deal in arms, it's also a license to act like a jackass to people either on the phone or in person.

Good rant man.  I like your style.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#12]
My take on Peterson's:

I have no problem with the way the guy acts. I'd much rather deal with an arrogant smartass that knows wat he has vs. a polite dumbass that thinks he knows everything. I also don't have a problem with his prices - if its not a good price don't pay it. His collection is worth going to check out even if you don't drop a dime. Where else can you go into a brick and mortar joint and check out Model 12s or Model 42s. I have only bought one gun from him, but the price was fair and it was exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My take on Peterson's:

I have no problem with the way the guy acts. I'd much rather deal with an arrogant smartass that knows wat he has vs. a polite dumbass that thinks he knows everything. I also don't have a problem with his prices - if its not a good price don't pay it. His collection is worth going to check out even if you don't drop a dime. Where else can you go into a brick and mortar joint and check out Model 12s or Model 42s. I have only bought one gun from him, but the price was fair and it was exactly what I was looking for.

You work there don't you  
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My take on Peterson's:

You work there don't you  

You must be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist with reasoning skills such as those
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your right. If you want something used that's hard to find, they probably have it. But you'll pay triple the market price. And the "I don't quote price's over the phone" shit don't work either!

I still think that they must be a front for drugs, money laundering, illegal firearms or something. NOBODY THAT ARROGANT CAN STAY IN BUSINESS.  UNLESS THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL

Obviously you don't like the man or his style... thats just fine.

He entertains me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously you don't like the man or his style... thats just fine.

He entertains me.  YMMV.

It's not that I don't like the man or his style. I just don't like his attitude or his inflated prices. And it's a shame, because he has a good inventory of used guns. Which are way overly priced. If he was competitive and willing to work with his customers, I would be more than happy to do business with him.
I tried to buy a used S&W 66 2 1/2 inch from him last year, he wanted $699.00 for it, I said that I didn't want to pay that much, he said that he has to pay $550.00 for them at the gun shows. I bought one a week later at the Wilmington show for $450.00 LNIB.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
He and the guy who owns the Hawken Shop in Norwood are both asshats.  They seem to enjoy the idea of having their personal collections on display for the unwary and being complete assholes to anybody under the age of 65 who walks in the door.  Fuck 'em both...I won't even waste my time walking in the door.  Once was more than enough at both places.  If I want to overpay for shit, I'll just go to a gunshow...at least there, I can have the pleasure of watching the freaks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He and the guy who owns the Hawken Shop in Norwood are both asshats.  They seem to enjoy the idea of having their personal collections on display for the unwary and being complete assholes to anybody under the age of 65 who walks in the door.  Fuck 'em both...I won't even waste my time walking in the door.  Once was more than enough at both places.  If I want to overpay for shit, I'll just go to a gunshow...at least there, I can have the pleasure of watching the freaks.

This.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

and this
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I called them, asked if they sold a particular type of scope and they said 'yes'.  No prices or specifics on the phone.  I was close, so I stopped by, looked around, and asked where the scopes were.  They pulled out an old junk box from a shelf that had what appeared to be a pile of scopes, ranging in age from 20 to 70 years old and not of good quality even when they were new.  You have got to be kidding me.  If I'd owned that box, I'd have thrown the whole thing away. What a dirty cluttered dump that place is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mike at Country Attic is the shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    You need a shotgun for HD to Skeet, trap, whatever, he's got you covered with several price points.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#22]
When that old fart at Petersons called me " One of those people that buy thier stuff on the internet" he lost me. I don;t care what he has, how cheap or over priced." F" him.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agreed, the guy in Norwood is a real gem, I forgot about him.  I wonder how he keeps the lights on?  This may not be fair, but I've sworn off of Arms & Accessories in Cheviot because they gouged me once on a purchase.  I know, my fault, but I'll hold that grudge.

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Well you guys got me interested in Petersen's Guns and found myself going right by there so I stop in.
I didn't have the pleasure of meeting the older guy but the young there came across as cocky. He told one potential customer that his prices are not negotiable. When I saw some of prices their prices I asked if they would be interested in anything I have. He responded with " not until you bring them in"  and "we may not even want anything"  My response was " then how do I know what to bring in?"  His response " Store policy"
They have rebuilt M1 Carbines priced out $1200-$1300 bucks.
They do have a good selection. My guess is they only deal with people with no to little experience.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
They probably only have to sell two or three guns a week to meet expenses.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#26]
They probably only have to sell two or three guns a week to meet expenses.

I understand the thoughts of supporting the small dealer instead of the big box stores, but at the prices some of these small stores charge, they make it damn tough.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I had forgot about the guy at Hawken's in Norwood. He's a crook and an ass -surprised he's still in business. Years ago I took my grandfather's shotgun in for some gunsmith work. After about 9 months I stopped in to check on it, I guess he was having a "bad day" and when I ask about it he literally threw it at me and said he wouldn't work on junk ( it was a Browning Auto-5) and to get out of his store. I then noticed that a few small parts missing ( the mag cap, plug and spring.  At that point I was starting to lose my cool, he showed me his pistol and said "out now". I was a young poor college student and after I  talked it over with a lawyer I decided there wasn't much I could do - his word against mine plus the cost of the parts were minor. I would handle it different now.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Interesting little article discussing Petersons.

http://www.gunpowder-treason.com/2008/01/best-of-cincinnati.html

Not sure who the author is, I just happened to run into this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Interesting little article discussing Petersons.

http://www.gunpowder-treason.com/2008/01/best-of-cincinnati.html

Not sure who the author is, I just happened to run into this.

Someone must have been high when they wrote that article!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I stopped in to Peterson's once. The staff member on duty was sitting with his feet up on the display rack, and I had to literally maneuver around him to try to see the stock nearby. Prices were about 60% above market on used. It really was the worst shop I've ever been in.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top