Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/18/2010 6:31:14 AM EDT
I'm going to be in the Hocking Hills area in a few weeks.  I keep having this feeling I'm going to go stir crazy.  Does anyone know if there are any gun ranges in the area?  I'm tempted to bring a few toys with me and disappear from the family for a while.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to be in the Hocking Hills area in a few weeks.  I keep having this feeling I'm going to go stir crazy.  Does anyone know if there are any gun ranges in the area?  I'm tempted to bring a few toys with me and disappear from the family for a while.

How long you staying and what cabins, if any, are you staying in?  I was just there a week ago.

I have no info on shooting ranges.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a list of Ohio public ranges:

List

There is one in Hocking Hills as well as another nearby in the Zaleski State Forest and one at Stroud's Run State Park.  I've spent a lot of time at the Stroud's Run range over the years; I went to college at Ohio U and go back to visit friends at least twice a year and always hit the range on my trips.  There's a 25 yard pistol range and a 75 yard rifle/shotgun range.  Try to avoid going there Saturday morning.  There's a student group that goes and they act like they own the place and in my experience are messy, dangerous douchebags.  They like to throw textbooks on the ground, blast them to pieces from 10 feet away, and leave the debris all over the place when they leave.  Otherwise, the place is usually empty.  No rangemaster or anyone to bug you so you can do any kind of training you want.  It's really nice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  Looks like Zaleski will be it.  Not too far away.  Only 25 yards, but until I get new glasses that's good enough anyways.   I'm going to steal my nephew for a few hours and work on corrupting him.  Hopefully he can keep his mouth shut and not tell the whole family.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#4]
There's one outside of lancaster that allows class 3 , however I don't know how their membership works.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again for the info.  I took my 13 yr old nephew down to Zaleski for a few hours.  The only downside was the "No Centerfire" sign.  I really wanted him to experience 7.62x39 and .556 - but did the right thing.  Thankfully I was well prepared, and we shot 400 rounds of .22 (CMMG conversion) and 120 round of 9mm.  

There is a nice gun store/pawn shop in Logan. Ohio Valley Trading is in Hunter Street across from Autozone.  They used to be at the flee market on 33.  They are related to Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster.  The staff was friendly and didn't give off the typical gun store vibe.  Nice selection, too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Near Athens there is a range at Stroud's Run unless they've closed it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here is a list of Ohio public ranges:

List

There is one in Hocking Hills as well as another nearby in the Zaleski State Forest and one at Stroud's Run State Park.  I've spent a lot of time at the Stroud's Run range over the years; I went to college at Ohio U and go back to visit friends at least twice a year and always hit the range on my trips.  There's a 25 yard pistol range and a 75 yard rifle/shotgun range.  Try to avoid going there Saturday morning.  There's a student group that goes and they act like they own the place and in my experience are messy, dangerous douchebags.  They like to throw textbooks on the ground, blast them to pieces from 10 feet away, and leave the debris all over the place when they leave.  Otherwise, the place is usually empty.  No rangemaster or anyone to bug you so you can do any kind of training you want.  It's really nice.

+1 on that. It's usually empty so there isn't much of a wait. I think that's actually a 100 yard rifle range but that could be extended to 150 yards.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top