Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:15:51 PM EDT
Im looking for someone to thread and crown a couple .22lr barrels for suppressors.  I can do it at work, but I wouldn't mind paying a professional so I dont screw something up.  Anyone havel suggestions for a local gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation for a smith in the area, but do you mind if I ask where there is a dealer around here that carries suppressors?  I'm thinking about being in the market for one soon.

Thanks!
-Parke1
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation for a smith in the area, but do you mind if I ask where there is a dealer around here that carries suppressors?  I'm thinking about being in the market for one soon.

Thanks!
-Parke1

I dont know any local suppressor dealers - I went with a suppressor on a form 1.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
-Parke1

I dont know any local suppressor dealers - I went with a suppressor on a form 1.

There are at least three in the greater CAK area - one in Medina, one in Kent, and one in Canal Fulton. And those are just the ones that I personally know of off the top of my head.

As to threading... I don't know of anybody I would trust locally. ADCO is up Toledo-way and are superb people - though I haven't had anything threaded by them, I have had other good experiences, and I've never heard of anyone having problems with their threading (as long as ADCO is willing to accept the type of barrel/firearm - for example, I've heard that they don't do FN Five-sevens...)

I myself would only trust one of two types with threading for suppressor usage - either an actual suppressor manufacturer (SWR, AAC, Gemtech, etc.) or a well-known outfit, like Tornado Tech or ADCO. I'd rather not waste the $200 and months of waiting on paperwork because the threads aren't quite true to the bore. (Remember this - threading for a FH or other basic muzzle device has WAY more "wiggle room" than the precise threading required for a suppressor.)

I'm personally getting ready to ship my Beretta 21A off to TT for threading, as AFAIK ADCO doesn't deal with this particular beast - which as I understand, it somewhat of a pain, with TT actually having fabricated a special fixture to allow threading of 21A's without barrel removal due to the problems that can be encountered.

I was going to contact ADCO to get my 92FS barrel threaded, but just picked up one at a killer deal from the EE instead.

ETA: You say "I can do it at work"... I hope you do realize that the key challenge in proper threading for a suppressor is that the threads must absolutely be concentric to the *bore* and not the outer contour of the _barrel_. Just chucking up a barrel in a lathe and threading it is no guarantee against baffle strikes. You also need the shoulder to be true (again, perpendicular to the axis of the bore, not the outer barrel). The requirements for suppressor-oriented threading are greater than your run-of-the-mill "I need this thing threaded" cases. Hence why there are places devoted entirely to the process, such as TT.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a hold of Dave at Defensive Creations. He's done plenty and his work is top notch.

http://www.defensivecreations.com/
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll second the recommendation for Defensive Creations or ADCO. Both do great work and are good people.

Lynn
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Scott Mulkerin at SDM fabricating has done a lot of these.  330-723-3098  He is in Medina on Foskett rd
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Pro armarment in Cuy Falls does some suppressors also.  Talk to the shop and see if they have a recomendation.  The Gun Shoppe in coventry has a gunsmith working there that might also be able to advise you.

Good Luck
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top