Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:33:05 AM EDT
... to install ambidextrous safeties on a P14 and LTC, and possibly Novak sights. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The ambi safety you can do yourself on 1911... just remove the grip safety so you can see inside as you work on the safety nub with file so it will drop into frame.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The ambi safety you can do yourself on 1911... just remove the grip safety so you can see inside as you work on the safety nub with file so it will drop into frame.

I don't know, I am neither mechanically inclined nor very patient. Is it really that simple?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are capable of removing your current safety, then tap out the mainspring housing pin, slide housing down slightly to allow grip safety to be removed.

Re-install main spring housing, and pin it in place (do not need to fully install pin at this time)

Re-install sefety, and watch the pad swing up into place..  Now fit the new safety' pad to do same thing, look at it, and you can see where you need to  file the pad to allow the safety to roll into position and block part movement... go slow, couple swipes, test, couple swipes, test.... do not try to do it all the first time,
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know, I am neither mechanically inclined nor very patient. Is it really that simple?

If you're not patient enough to:

1) Read and study up on how the 1911 safety works and the proper fitment procedures.
2) Study your own 1911 in your own hands to gain further understanding of what's going on.
And
3) Proceed in the proper trial-and-repeat method of slowly filing or stoning the safety.

Then it would be best for you to seek a smith.

I too would like to know if there are any good smiths in the NE OH area that offer sight milling services for 1911 slides. I have been contemplating just sending my slide to Novaks directly to get the sights installed at the time of purchase, but having a local smith would be better.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are capable of removing your current safety, then tap out the mainspring housing pin, slide housing down slightly to allow grip safety to be removed.

Re-install main spring housing, and pin it in place (do not need to fully install pin at this time)

Re-install sefety, and watch the pad swing up into place..  Now fit the new safety' pad to do same thing, look at it, and you can see where you need to  file the pad to allow the safety to roll into position and block part movement... go slow, couple swipes, test, couple swipes, test.... do not try to do it all the first time,

Slide housing down slightly. Got it. Well, now that I know how to install the sear spring...

... and am reasonably sure my pistol still functions...

... I think I will try the safety installation after all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slide housing down slightly. Got it. Well, now that I know how to install the sear spring...

... and am reasonably sure my pistol still functions...

... I think I will try the safety installation after all.

Make sure you read these:

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=461
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=277

at the very least before removing any metal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=277

Wow, those things look like they were butchered.

Is the second installed photo a proper fit? The description implies it is the LEO's original.

I'm going to give it a try, and have someone check my work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Mr.45 at the Goodman Gun Shows is a good choice for handgun repair..Especially 1911's
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top