Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2009 4:34:35 PM EDT
Just started shooting rifle this year. I've been shooting shotguns and pistols for the last two. Mainly have shot only indoors (minus the few times I was at a shotgun only range).

I was thinking of making a trip to Big Darby Creek this weekend since its supposed to be nice out. Any opinions on the place? Whats the cost? Besides rifle and pistol what am I going to need to bring? Do they provide target stands at all? I don't really have one since I shoot mainly indoors and don't need a stand.

If I do need to bring a stand, what do people recommend or use?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Great place in my opinion as I prefer outdoor ranges to indoor ranges.  They have benches, rest bags, staple guns, tape for use plus they have a 300 yd range.  Note they pay more attention to their range rules and usually have an SO on the covered range.  They also put more empasis on safety controls than any ranges I have been to which is a big plus with me.  I say this because most other ranges I've been to besides ODNR tend to be more focused on selling stuff than running a range which sometimes has
Other +
IDPA and  2 gun events on a regulary basis (bi-weekly to monthly)
LE & civie firearms training - I'm thinking about a MagPul class in July
btw I do not work there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just started shooting rifle this year. I've been shooting shotguns and pistols for the last two. Mainly have shot only indoors (minus the few times I was at a shotgun only range).

I was thinking of making a trip to Big Darby Creek this weekend since its supposed to be nice out. Any opinions on the place? Whats the cost? Besides rifle and pistol what am I going to need to bring? Do they provide target stands at all? I don't really have one since I shoot mainly indoors and don't need a stand.

If I do need to bring a stand, what do people recommend or use?

Thanks guys.

dam fine range, you won't regret the trip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Great place in my opinion as I prefer outdoor ranges to indoor ranges.  They have benches, rest bags, staple guns, tape for use plus they have a 300 yd range.  Note they pay more attention to their range rules and usually have an SO on the covered range.  They also put more empasis on safety controls than any ranges I have been to which is a big plus with me.  I say this because most other ranges I've been to besides ODNR tend to be more focused on selling stuff than running a range which sometimes has
Other +
IDPA and  2 gun events on a regulary basis (bi-weekly to monthly)
LE & civie firearms training - I'm thinking about a MagPul class in July
btw I do not work there.

It's a great range. I've been a member at New Albany, Ohio Valley, and have shot the Dayton/Delaware DNR ranges and BDCSR is easily my favorite. Membership is $100/$85(LEO) and the fee structure is $8/day for members and $8/hour for non-members. Big on safety, steel racks and gongs.  This place is a range first, shop distant second.

You won't regret it. Frankly I think it is insane for anyone on the West side of Columbus to be a member at any other public range.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the opinions folks. Definitely looking forward to making a trip over there now.

Still need to know if I need to bring my own stand or not. Anybody?
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
we have portable benches you can use. feel free to e mail me with any questions......

[email protected]

Rich
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the opinions folks. Definitely looking forward to making a trip over there now.

They've got their own target carriers.  I think you have to use their (cardboard) backers.  Have their own staplers, benches, communal spotting scope, shooting bags, etc.  First rate.  All you need is a gun, ammunition, and a love of the second amendment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've got their own target carriers.  I think you have to use their (cardboard) backers.  Have their own staplers, benches, communal spotting scope, shooting bags, etc.  First rate.  All you need is a gun, ammunition, and a love of the second amendment.

correct ,the backer is  a I.D.P.A. regulation size ...  There pistol ranges is a actual 50 yards. (150 feet) . and i love the steel plates they have ..if you wish to "stretch " your rifle our rifle range is actual 300 yards in 100 yard increments
the first gravel line is 100 yards (300 feet) the second line is 200 yards (600 feet ) and the last one is 300 yards. with portable benches you can use for each  ..........all they ask before you use the rifle range is to show them  that your rifle is zeroed...... place 3-5 rounds on a target at 50 yards........

i love this place i found them a year and a half ago when Pete opened it up . and haven't gone any where else........

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have wanted to go out there since they are not far from me but keep putting it off for one reason or another, looks like I will have to get off the fence and get out there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
So today I finally made it out to their range.

What else can I say besides the place is FANTASTIC.

I was there with my brother shooting and within being there for about 5 minutes we decided to become members then next time we go.

Great experience.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
If I had to guess I would say you two were shooting an AR on one of the middle bays.

I was shooting the GSG-5 at plates.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I had to guess I would say you two were shooting an AR on one of the middle bays.

I was shooting the GSG-5 at plates.

Good guess. I was shooting my RRA AR-15 and my GSG-5 and my brother was shooting his AK-47.

So how are the plates? We took a look at them after we wrapped up shooting. How did the GSG-5 work on those plates? Was it able to knock them down?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#12]
so there's no more shooting through the drain pipes?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
so there's no more shooting through the drain pipes?

I think you can but when I was there yesterday nobody was actually shooting from that distance. Just a few guys shooting at 150ft max.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top