Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/14/2008 7:51:54 PM EDT
Has anyone used a bushmaster 450 pistol to hunt deer?
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

This was brought up a few times. I believe someone here had a custom gunsmith in winterville ohio build him a 15" AR pistol upper. in 450BM and had all intentions of deer hunting with it. Under Ohio law it sure seems legal as it says "straight walled case"
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
How long can a "pistol" barrel be?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How long can a "pistol" barrel be?

Any length you want, just do not add a stock to it if it is under 16 inches.

ETA: there is no maximum length for pistol barrels
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You would be forced to use it in a pistol of some type, all modern rifles are forbidden for deer hunting in Ohio.

If Thompson Center made a barrel for thier pistols, that would have to be a great deer getter!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be forced to use it in a pistol of some type, all modern rifles are forbidden for deer hunting in Ohio.

Are you saying that you cannot use an AR pistol for deer?  Because its a "modern rifle"  Even though technically its a pistol using a straight wall cartridge?

I know a guy who made a single shot 45-70 pistol - he had it zeroed at 200 yards - he ended up shooting a doe in the head at 15 yards
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying that you cannot use an AR pistol for deer?  Because its a "modern rifle"  Even though technically its a pistol using a straight wall cartridge?

I know a guy who made a single shot 45-70 pistol - he had it zeroed at 200 yards - he ended up shooting a doe in the head at 15 yards

No dude, you mis-understood me. You would have to use it in some form of pistol, including an AR pistol as a possibility. You could not use any type of AR rifle to hunt deer in Ohio. I have not seen a .450 pistol ever, but you could build one yourself.

ETA: I see you specifically mentioned a 450 pistol in your post, I originally was only looking at your title and thought you were asking about the 450 Bushmaster Rifle. My Mistake!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would have to meet any other handgun requirements for hunting, then it would be ok.  For example, 5 inch minimum barrel length, using straight walled cartridges .357 or larger(read as no .223), etc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If it wasn't for the deer crop damage permit, I would never bother.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#9]
can you use a rifle with a crop damage permit
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I especially like the part where they use the word "any".
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe the fella will post. I know he had the factory barrel cut back and a brake added and it was 15" oal. He had it on a RRA Pistol marked lower and showed quite a few pictures.

He may have posted the pictures in the AR pistol forum I can't remember. I know he said it functioned fine and was plenty accurate. I think it was JD Jones? that did the work in Winterville Ohio?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, in your case no, you would probably wet yourself when you came into contact with a firearm. The rest of us can.

ETA: Like you even own a rifle. How about you just stick to insulting CCW like you do in all the other threads.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe the fella will post. I know he had the factory barrel cut back and a brake added and it was 15" oal. He had it on a RRA Pistol marked lower and showed quite a few pictures.

He may have posted the pictures in the AR pistol forum I can't remember. I know he said it functioned fine and was plenty accurate. I think it was JD Jones? that did the work in Winterville Ohio?

That sounds cool, I want to see the pics
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't see why not, as long as it's a pistol. I just decided to build a 50 beowulf pistol for this very reason.

No mag limit, laser clad deer hunting with my AR........Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can't see why not, as long as it's a pistol. I just decided to build a 50 beowulf pistol for this very reason.

lasers huh? I demand pics when you are done with the build !
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I figure it would have to help with the aiming of such a beast, as I don't think it would be all that fun to rest against my cheek. A laser sounds logical in my head anyway.

Looks like it may be awhile before a 12'' Beowulf upper will be available, so those pics could be a long ways off.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think you can use a laser to hunt with in Ohio. it used to be in the hunting regs, not sure if it still is. might want to check.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you can use a laser to hunt with in Ohio. it used to be in the hunting regs, not sure if it still is. might want to check.

It's just a no-no for bows and crossbows.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top