Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/28/2007 9:12:16 AM EDT
I don't know how many are effected by this, but at my last transfer through the Powder Room in Powell, OH I was surprised to find that they are now charging $64/ffl transfer. Quite an increase from their old $25 rate. They say it includes insurance and shipping, but in my opinion that is still too expensive.

So if you plan on doing any transfers in the near future your best bet is the Norton shop, Buckeye Outdoors, or Vance's.

Just a P.S.A.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Why did they decide to do that for?

I've used them many times for stripped lowers and a few other guns.  What does Vances/Buckeye and Nortons charge for a transfer?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What aggravates me is these dealers that want to charge you thru the nose for
a tranfer so they can make money on your deal with someone else. When one
of the dealers don't have what you want, half the time they don't want to order it
because it's not what they like to deal in. I do not mind a dealer trying to make
his fortune, but it is BS to try to make it off of each and every customer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
There are TONS of local FFL's around the Central Ohio area that will do them for $20 all day long.

Do a search on gunbroker's "Find and FFL", no need to get raped by a gun shop.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Trump, next time try Hunters Den in Marion off of SR 309. He charges $12 for transfers and only $10 over cost for new guns he orders for you. The owner Fred is a super nice guy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Trump, next time try Hunters Den in Marion off of SR 309. He charges $12 for transfers and only $10 over cost for new guns he orders for you. The owner Fred is a super nice guy.

+1 For Fred.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why did they decide to do that for?[://

I've used them many times for stripped lowers and a few other guns.  What does Vances/Buckeye and Nortons charge for a transfer?

Vance's is $40-45 I think, but Swingset is right.  There are many in the Central Ohio area that'll do it for $20.  $65 is asinine.  Why pay them some ridiculous transfer fee because you found a better deal elsewhere?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If they have raised it, then screw them ! Their in store gun selection is poor at best. Someone is money hungry. I have a rifle getting ready to ship.

Update 6:48 PM - A phone call to them and they told me the cost is $35.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Fred Crist
Hunter's Den Gun Shop
8816 Harding Highway East
Galion, OH 44833
phone: 419-845-3558

Hours: 5:00pm-9:00pm Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm Sat
Transfer fee: $12.00
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get DPMS stripped lowers at Buckeye/Vances for $109 at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Did they up the fee for inbound transfers, or for outbound?  You said insurance and shipping.   If the increased cost is only for outbound transfers, then that's not so bad.

Go to FedEx and declare that you have handgun to ship and Insure.  It will cost you a lot more than you think.

I'd be surprised if the higher cost is for inbound transfers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Sent you a list of FFL transfer dealers off of GunsAmerica. Maybe a couple of those closer than the guy east of Marion?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Ditto Fred, nice chap.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless business is picking up, I think that the Powder Room is on the way out and they are grasping for any revenue that they can.

I go to the Blackwing Shooting Center due to this and also because of the high price and terrible service at New Albany.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to work at the Powder Room before I went in the Air Force.  I can tell you other than the fee we charged for the book work we saw no money other than that.  Also it was a pain in the ass dealing with the whole situation.  Often times we would get an item in that just shipped to us, there wouldnt be any indication who the item would be for.  In that situation we assumed that dealer had our FFL on file.  Tehn we would have to do the leg work to find out who ordered the item, then track the buyer down and let them know to come get their stuff.  Or, we would be pestered by some guy would intitated the transfer every day until his order came.  The best ones were the people who would order something from a deal and there would be a problem with shipping or the transaction and we would have to deal with it.  I think a dealer has the right to charge what they want for FFL transfers for all the hassles they bring.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... terrible service at New Albany.

I have been going to NASR since they opened.  They did have a few "knnow it alls" behind the counter who are gone, but other than that, I have always been treated very nicely there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#16]
$64 for outbound transfers, used to be $25 a year ago. I can understand a slight increase for the elevated shipping fees and a small fee for their trouble, but a 156% increase in fee... come on.

As far as I'm concerned, a dealer isn't required to do transfers on the side. The decision to deal with the hassle of it is theirs. If they choose to, then they should at least be competitive.

I am more than willing to take my business elsewhere and as seen, I am more than happy to let other people know to go elsewhere as well. Decreased traffic through their shop is still decreased traffic, and that equals less sales. The indoor range is the only thing that keeps that place open. The guns are all over-priced and their used gun prices are closer to new gun prices.

Their choice, their business, not mine. But I do have the choice of who I patron.

BTW- mind you that $64 transfer was for a $100 gun.......doesn't much seem worth it even with insurance does it?

If they are now claiming $35 for outbound, then they must have recently come to their senses and realized that $64 is flippin' crazy.

I will be trying out the other sugestions. I just wanted to raise awareness of the increase so that others didn't waste a drive to find out the hard way.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Many FFLs don't even know that they can ship handguns via the USPS very inexpensively.   All they have to do is fill out a form with the PO branch they want to use.

If they don't know this, they will be charged the same rediculous rates from UPS or FedEx that we citizens are charged.  FedEx and UPS both require handguns to be sent priority next day air (and by law, you are rquired to notify them that the contents is a firearm).  I have used FedEx, and have been charged $80 to ship a handgun... most of the cost was insurance.

Dealers, on the other hand, can use the postal service for handguns, but only if they have a form on file with the branch they take the package to.  Even Priority Insured mail is a lot less expensive than UPS or FedEx.

Maybe they figured that out, and therefore brought their outbound fee down to $35.

I'd be willing to bet that even the cheapest FFL would charge more for outbound than for inbound.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
CZ-75Jeff,

If you like NASR, you must like paying retail or more frequently above retail prices.  In my mind, most of the knowlegable NASR guys left and went to BWSC in Delaware when it opened.  If you want to do a trade-in involved with a new firearm purchase, prepare to be robbed blind by NASR.  This said, my CCW class at NASR was decent when I took it there two years ago.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I go there to shoot... not buy.  the stuff I want to buy is rarely available at a local store, so I don't have  a reference point as a buyer.  I do talk with the counter staff, and they all know their stuff (even class 3), and discuss it with me even though they know it's unlikely I'll buy whatever it is I expressed interest in behind the counter.

The fact remains that they have always treated me like a valued customer.

I will continue to enjoy their facility
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
CZ-75Jeff,

You are correct that NASR has nice facilities.  However, when Blackwing Shooting Center opened and most of the senior sales and range folks went to Deleware and mostly the "village idiots" were left standing behind the counter.  With one or two acceptions, the staff had little weapons knowledge and they offered me $175 for to trade-in a NRA 98% Browning Hi-Power (two tone finish), which was worth closer to $400 and I sold it for that price a short time later.  Several of the guys behind the counter kept telling me that there was simply no market for such an "old" gun, even though it was in pristine condition.  Interestingly enough I had tried to trade a Gen 2 Glock 23 there previously and was given the same trade-in price.  Even though I expected to have to negotiate with them a bit on the deal and was going to purchase a considerably more expensive firearm, they acted completely unprofessional, in my opinion.  Unless there is a sale at Vance's or I see a good deal at the PRO Gun Show, Rex will continue to get all of my business.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Why the hell would anybody pay an FFL for an "outbound" transfer when you can ship the gun yourself to an FFL in any state or to an individual in your state?

In business, you never tell a customer/potential customer no.  You just make the price high enough that if you have to do something you don't really want to do, it is worth your while.

A $65. dollar transfer in or out is their polite way of telling you we don't really want to do it, but if you can't find anywhere else we'll do it but it's gonna cost you.  IMO, Vances at $45 is saying the same thing basically.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why the hell would anybody pay an FFL for an "outbound" transfer when you can ship the gun yourself to an FFL in any state or to an individual in your state?

Some receiving FFL's will only take firearms in from other dealers, it's a lot less hassle.

I'm getting really close to only accepting from other FFL's if the shippers don't start complying with my instructions.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Scott,

I think I am correct in that a receiving FFL needs, name and address of the transferor.   Is that correct?

I always include that when shipping a gun and have never been asked for anything more.

If somebody told me I had to go ship the gun they bought from me from my local gun shop, the deal would be over and I'd tell them to go find an FFL who knew what the law was.

However, I do understand yours or any FFL's frustration if people can't provide the info.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Scott,

I think I am correct in that a receiving FFL needs, name and address of the transferor.   Is that correct?

I always include that when shipping a gun and have never been asked for anything more.

If somebody told me I had to go ship the gun they bought from me from my local gun shop, the deal would be over and I'd tell them to go find an FFL who knew what the law was.

However, I do understand yours or any FFL's frustration if people can't provide the info.

I require a Copy of a government issued ID, so I can verify you are who you say you are, if not I am entering information into my bound book that could be erroneous.

It's no different if someone is picking up a firearm, they need ID.

It goes thru my shredder after it's logged in.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If it's a handgun, a FFL holder can use the USPS if they have the right form on file at the USPS branch.  The USPS prioriy mail is way less expensive than UPS or FedEx

If you or I go to FedEx or UPS, and we declare the contents as a firearm according to law, we will pay more than the FFl pays the USPS.  Enough more that is may be cheaper to use them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Scott, I personally would have no problem with that.  But I have sold more than a few guns over the internet where I shipped both long guns and handguns to FFL's and I personally have never been asked for anything more than my name and address.  If I had to ship a gun to you, I would send you either my C&R license, my OH CHL, or my FL CCW.  All gov't issued, take your pick.     On the other hand, I could get anybody I know to send you a copy of their DL and you still wouldn't really know where the gun came from, only that you now have it and that you have something you feel good about to put in your book.  My point being, people can do anything and say anything, and at the end of the day unless we have complete gov't gun registration, people will find ways to remain anonymous if they want to be.  Whether they have something to hide or not.

Jeff, it doesn't matter what the FFL pays the USPS if he charges his customer $65. to do it.  Or even $35.  I'd spend $15 more( or $50 total) to ship overnight just to keep someone else out of the loop and have done so.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Right... My point was all about the cost.  If I (as a citizen) use FedEx or UPS, those shippers require guns to go next day priority mail.

If an FFL file sthe right form with the USPS, they can send handguns through the mail, which even if registered insured, is cheaper than FedEx or UPS.  And often times, the reduced shipping will offset their transfer fee.

If Powder room reduced it from $65 to a lower amount, they must have realized that.  Just guessing
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top