Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/26/2007 11:54:05 AM EDT
  I just got my CCW here in Ohio and since I live close enough to PA to throw a rock across the border from my back yard I'm interested in a Non resident permit. I'm having some trouble finding anything worthwhile after doing a search, I've found plenty of resident info but non resident stuff was pretty vague so I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction and/or relate some of your experiences and how you went about it. Costs, photos and fingerprint requirements etc would be great to know.

I'd like to apply in Beaver county (I think) if that helps.

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=13856

I did it and it took 2-3 weeks
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Centre County

You can mail it in $25.00 and no picture needed. Just send them a copy of your Ohio CCW and your Drivers Lic. You can print the application right off the website.

www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_application.asp
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
   Thanks for your responses. I found the links helpful. I've got an unexpected appointment relatively close to the Beaver County Courthouse tomorrow morning so I might take advantage of being off work for a couple hours and run over there and check things out in person.
   Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
   Just a little update for anyone who cares. I went to the Beaver County courthouse and after being frisked asked the Sheriffs' Deputies manning the metal detectors to please point me in the right direction so that I might inquire about a Non-resident concealed carry permit. They began to roll their eyes and seemed visably agitated then said "go that way, make a right, go downstairs and it's somewhere down there" Very helpful.

After finding the Sheriffs office and letting her know what I was there for, a nice lady behind the counter said "no problem I'll get you the forms". When she came back another Sheriffs' Deputy came with her and with a condecending attitude began to tell me what was required. After listening to him (I was told I had to come back with my forms (and a form filled out by my home state Sheriff among other things). I asked if I was able to do this by mail as you can in Center Co. He snapped at me "How do you expect me to do a background check and photograph you if you aren't standing in front of me?!" "This isn't Center Co and our issuing criteria are above State regulations!"

Needless to say I didn't tell him to go get his mouth F***** (although i REALLY wanted to) but instead thanked him for his time and as I was leaving decided to mail my stuff to Center Co just like you guys suggested.

BTW Beaver Co issues photo permits (obviously) and the cost is $25 if anybody would like to go that route.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.... and I'm glad I went the Centre County route myself. It would be nicer to have a picture type ID but no big deal. I did end up getting the NH permit too though. it took a couple weeks and came with an acual credit card type CCW card. MUCH nicer than the PA piece of paper I got in the mail. Now with all 3 states I'm good for all but 16 states and of course DC and NYC. FL doesn't give me any new states I'm not already covered in or I'd get theirs too. Does anyone know of any other states that are as easy as the PA, and NH that will help in the remaining states?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to the Crawford County Sheriff's office in Meadville, PA.  (located in the Court House).  Bring your Ohio CCW and Driver's license.  After going through metal detectors, take elevator to 3rd floor.  Go into the Sheriff's Office and ask for a "Protection Permit".  List under "Reason to Carry" "protection" or "self-defense".  Fill out form, write out a check for $19.00 if you want regular permit or $26.00 if you want your picture on a wallet sized laminated one.  They do an "Insta-Check" similar to a firearm purchase.  3 days later, check your mailbox for your new PA permit.

When my friend and his Dad went there, Sheriff Robert M. Stevens came out to talk to them.  He was very pro concealed carry for law-abiding citizens and said he wanted more people carrying firearms.

Too bad I can't vote for him.

Regards,

Gregor
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top