Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/23/2006 7:55:45 AM EDT
I've looked through the hunting regs and can't find anything on hunting with a suppressor... anybody know where I can find if it's legal or not?  I just picked up a TAC-16 for my Bushmaster and want to use it when coyote hunting, but I don't want to be illegal using it, either...

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've looked through the hunting regs and can't find anything on hunting with a suppressor... anybody know where I can find if it's legal or not?  I just picked up a TAC-16 for my Bushmaster and want to use it when coyote hunting, but I don't want to be illegal using it, either...

Story is you cannot use a suppressor to "hunt"....  

My brother in-law is a farmer, and he plants soybeans..... I sat out 1 time watching a field, and a park ranger came along, I told him we was having problems with crop growth  there in them "thin" spots, he just chuckled and said "ok",  never bothered me for license, though this was prior to the suppressor purchase..

Maybe if you ask them about nuisance control (ground hog/crop damage, coyotes eating your cats or chickens), see what you get...  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Story is you cannot use a suppressor to "hunt"....  

If this is the case, there should be some regulation on it.  However, I can't find any...  I'm a little leary of calling up the DNR to ask them because I don't want to start one of those "hey, I never thought of that... we better fix that loophole" things....
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My local public range officer told me to call the District you want to hunt in and ask them. That way you will have an official record in case a field agent catches you and 'thinks' it is illegal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Ohio Administrative Code 1501:31-15-02 General hunting and trapping provisions

(D) It shall be unlawful for any person to use a gun equipped with a silencer or muffler, or deadfall of any type to take or attempt to take a wild bird or wild quadruped.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

(D) It shall be unlawful for any person to use a gun equipped with a silencer or muffler, or deadfall of any type to take or attempt to take a wild bird or wild quadruped.

Well, there's my answer.  Thanks...

That's a *really* dumb law, IMO...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, there's my answer.  Thanks...

That's a *really* dumb law, IMO...

Yeah I agree...I wonder how that came into law?  I mean, the animal your shooting at is going to die either way, why does it matter if the "bang" was loud or not?  

who knows
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the law has to do with if somebody else is out ahead and you don't know about them being there. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who has been hunting and didn't know anybody else was around until I heard a bang.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW  I asked this same question.  about three months ago to Brian Bury the sandusky county wildlife officer and was told that is in fact legal . Two months later I ran into his supervisor and his conclusion was the same. I guess they missed that one. I suppose they didnt research it well enough. I really dont see any good reason to prohibit it .
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WOW  I asked this same question.  about three months ago to Brian Bury the sandusky county wildlife officer and was told that is in fact legal . Two months later I ran into his supervisor and his conclusion was the same. I guess they missed that one. I suppose they didnt research it well enough. I really dont see any good reason to prohibit it .

I am wondering the same thing.  I plan to ask for an exemption to hunt groundhogs on a dairy farm.  The farmer (and his Holsteins) would be pleased to hear a "22LR crack" vs. the normal boom from my big guns...  It's not like you don't hear the gun go off, thus hiding from THE MAN.  Make no mistake, our game laws are written as much from the enforcement convenience side than anything.  Why is deer gun season only 1 week long?  Easier to contain and patrol.  Less OT for the officers, less officers needed...

Our agency issues exemptions from certain parts of the law at times, why can't Wildlife?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am wondering the same thing.  I plan to ask for an exemption to hunt groundhogs on a dairy farm.  The farmer (and his Holsteins) would be pleased to hear a "22LR crack" vs. the normal boom from my big guns...  It's not like you don't hear the gun go off, thus hiding from THE MAN.  Make no mistake, our game laws are written as much from the enforcement convenience side than anything.  Why is deer gun season only 1 week long?  Easier to contain and patrol.  Less OT for the officers, less officers needed...

Our agency issues exemptions from certain parts of the law at times, why can't Wildlife?

Watersniper,

You shoot that 6.8mm Can yet? As soon as the weather gets better the wife wants to get out to SCSC and testdrive the new US Optics scope on my Rem700.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Watersniper,

You shoot that 6.8mm Can yet? As soon as the weather gets better the wife wants to get out to SCSC and testdrive the new US Optics scope on my Rem700.

Scott

Scott,

SURE DID!  GOOD WORK ON THE SRT Scott!  I like it better than some of the fancier names out there

It also works nicely on my 11.5 223 Wylde barrel.

Any time you want to meet out there let me know!  We will try that can.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I know you roll your own 6.8 but this looks like a good price? Link to Ammo I don't know how he does it but he sells Federal Gold Metal Match way under dealer cost.

It's hard to beat the size/cost/performance of the SRT line of cans.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Damndest thing that this topic was posted yesterday, because I called ODNR trying to find out the same thing, and they pointed me to 1501:31-15-02 as well.

While the officer said that suppressors can be used to poach, so can any implement currently used to hunt/trap in Ohio. Nice guy, and we talked about how outdated this is, due to the advances in cartridge design allowing quiet shots, but it's just the way it is...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a hunter but I thought we couldn't hunt with rifles in OH
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:03:40 AM EDT
[#15]
"Deer season " is about the only section of the free guide book that defines the firearms allowed to be used.   I think duck and goose is a given,   and the rest is a "free for all".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"Deer season " is about the only section of the free guide book that defines the firearms allowed to be used.   I think duck and goose is a given,   and the rest is a "free for all".

Don't say that!  THE MAN will tell you "Ignorance is not an excuse..."  The ORC is online now.

Rifles are not allowed for Deer.  Groundhogs, Coyotes, etc. are fair game.  Technically even squirel hunting allows other calibers of centerfire rifles!  I knew a nutcase who used to go squirel hunting at Delaware Wildlife area with a 1911 and an M1 Carbine!  

I am going to approach the powers that be to see what we can do for varmint hunting and suppressors.  The law we are talking about is in the Ohio Administrative Code.  All it would take is for the Chief of the Division of Wildlife to rescind or suspend that rule.  I think a litle range time with a suppressor and some well thought out arguments as to why it's no big deal would go a long way.  Wildlife is very well supported by the Sportsmen's clubs around the state.  They would have to be on board with such a change for it to happen.  If the sportsman's clubs were against suppressors, then forget it.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I think one hurdle with this is exactly what the officer told me, that people who have suppressors are such a minority of the sporting community with the added cost and hassle of being approved to own one. I don't see them amending the rules for us, and their overriding argument will probably be their use in poaching.

Now nevermind the fact that poaching is illegal, and everyone knows that those willing to engage in illegal activities could construct their own silencers from any number of publications on the internet. The fact is they would most likely never allow their use for legitimate hunting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Even though we is a minority,  there is concerns now with all the city slickers moving out rural, and thus complaining about noise, firearms is also an agricultural thing.    Then we could toss around the OSHA noise thing ---

>>> All Gemtech suppressors meet or exceed OSHA requirements for firearm sound reduction hearing protection.

When eliminating ground hogs,  that is "crop damage" control/nuisance, not hunting.

Just my thoughts...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#19]
To further that argument older shooters who have hearing loss could benifit form the ability to use suppresors.  Also the Division of wildlife has seen a decline in the number of liscenses issued and they may be open to ideas that may attract new hunters and could easily restrict this to varmint hunting .
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Guys, my cup is still half full on this issue.  I think we take these kind of arguments to the boss in a non-lunatic-fringe-gun nut-cook manner and he might listen.  

It's a damn shame we have to do this in the first place, but I think it can be done.  We might surprise ourselves as to how many of us who would want our right to use a suppressor while varmint hunting re-instated.  We bombard them with the facts, they might listen.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Guys, my cup is still half full on this issue.  I think we take these kind of arguments to the boss in a non-lunatic-fringe-gun nut-cook manner and he might listen.  

It's a damn shame we have to do this in the first place, but I think it can be done.  We might surprise ourselves as to how many of us who would want our right to use a suppressor while varmint hunting re-instated.  We bombard them with the facts, they might listen.  

Sounds good to me.  Maybe someone needs to write up a petition and we can get others to sign it.
I'm up for getting the regs. changed!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good to me.  Maybe someone needs to write up a petition and we can get others to sign it.
I'm up for getting the regs. changed!

Darn right... where do I sign?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm with ya.

I'd say we should try and get as much real world data we can on the benefits of suppressed firearms, and we should also use Europe as an example, as many European countries allow the use of suppressed firearms in hunting.

If we present logical arguments that are backed up by fact, we may not get what we want because of peoples biases, but we will have a foundation to build on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Sent :  Friday, April 15, 2005 5:35 PM
To :  "Russ R." <>
Subject :  RE: Hunting with suppressors

Permission to use suppressors is granted by the Chief of the Division of
Wildlife.  This permission is granted on an individual case basis with
careful consideration and deliberation regarding all circumstances.
There is not a standard cost or length of validity for permits, as this
permission is not often granted, except under very special conditions.
All correspondence should be directed to:

ODNR Division of Wildlife
2045 Morse Rd., Bldg G3
Columbus, Ohio 43229    

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

2045 Morse Rd., Bldg G3
Columbus, Ohio 43229    

I just talked to one of their county guys this morning and he said go ahead, he didn't care!  Sounds like we better ask for permission from the boss however.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe, as was stated before, that the suppressor restriction is to help curtail poaching.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2045 Morse Rd., Bldg G3
Columbus, Ohio 43229    

I just talked to one of their county guys this morning and he said go ahead, he didn't care!  Sounds like we better ask for permission from the boss however.

That's all well and good, but,  I would get that in writing.  Memories seem to lapse when officials are put under the spotlight.

Better safe than in jail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm with ya.

I'd say we should try and get as much real world data we can on the benefits of suppressed firearms, and we should also use Europe as an example, as many European countries allow the use of suppressed firearms in hunting.

If we present logical arguments that are backed up by fact, we may not get what we want because of peoples biases, but we will have a foundation to build on.

Anyone know any Gun friendly lawyers?   We would need some help to get all the info together.

We should really do this.  We could talk about this on the 15th at Millers as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd be all for it
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top