Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/22/2006 3:22:18 PM EDT
KevinR and others in the area who are looking at getting into the hobby/addiction:

For the shoot, I can bring out my equipment so you all can get an overview of how it works.  I'll set it up in the clubhouse and at some point during the day all interested parties can check it out and see if it might be their cup of tea.

I've only got a single stage press though, so you'll just be getting the "reloading basics"

Advanced questions will be forwarded to SBR7_11 and Swingset

So if anyone is interested, please post sooner than later, as I need to get a few things to make it happen.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
I'd like to see it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
KevinR and others in the area who are looking at getting into the hobby/addiction:

For the shoot, I can bring out my equipment so you all can get an overview of how it works.  I'll set it up in the clubhouse and at some point during the day all interested parties can check it out and see if it might be their cup of tea.

I've only got a single stage press though, so you'll just be getting the "reloading basics"

Advanced questions will be forwarded to SBR7_11 and Swingset

So if anyone is interested, please post sooner than later, as I need to get a few things to make it happen.

I ------ suppose --- I  can do it.      

I "could" maybe bring the 650..... don't have case feeder,  RCBS RS-3 single stage, MEC 600-JR for shotshell.

I do not have 223/556 kit   for it, as it is mostly used for  9x19 and 40 S&W, soooo,  if you have some clean 9mm empties, Winchester small pistol primers and bullets, and powder,  we might could do a small run..   just need to figure out how to get set up away from home, besides hauling some firearms down there...

I'll sit back in the shadows and watch for the time being to see what comes about here...  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#4]
That'd be awesome.  

I have quite a bit of 9mm, .40 and .45 none if it is tumbled or deprimed yet, though.

The 9mm could be used for demo/practice purposes since I don't own a 9mm.  It was all "once shot, swept up brass" from the range.  If someone can deprime it, I'll get a tumbler and prep it before the meet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That'd be awesome.  

I have quite a bit of 9mm, .40 and .45 none if it is tumbled or deprimed yet, though.
Clean it..

The 9mm could be used for demo/practice purposes since I don't own a 9mm.  It was all "once shot, swept up brass" from the range.  If someone can deprime it, I'll get a tumbler and prep it before the meet.

Bring it, I'm  not making any promise, as the 650 is a bit large and heavy, need to check and see if it can be C-clamed and have room to operate.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
ADaughen

Even if you don't get a chance to clean it bring it anyway.  I'll have my tumbler there also and we can run it while shooting.

SBR7_11

If you and/or Swingset can bring equipment, that would be an added bonus.  I figured since I'm still using a kiddy press, mine would be the easiest to tote along

As for dies, I only have .223, 30.06, and .357/38special, maybe .40s&w by then also.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a ton of brass. Not cleaned or deprimed. .38 spl, .357 mag, 40 s&w, .45, .223, and a couple other oddballs. I have been thinking of getting set up, but I need a refresher first.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ADaughen

Even if you don't get a chance to clean it bring it anyway.  I'll have my tumbler there also and we can run it while shooting.

Cool, I'll bring it either way.

Steel and Aluminium is no good to reload right?  I have that sorted seperately...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Steel and Aluminium is no good to reload right?  I have that sorted seperately...

Let me have the steel and aluminum, the aluminum goes into aluminum cans and get flat, then recycled.  The steel goes into another bucket at work if it is berdan, but I have a tendancy to save WOLF 223 and 45acp.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
BRASS SUCKS!!!

just thought id share  

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Id like to see it, dont think I have the $ to get started for awhile though
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
BRASS SUCKS!!!

just thought id share  

only when the hot ones go, where?..... down your shirt.........lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me have the steel and aluminum, the aluminum goes into aluminum cans and get flat, then recycled.  The steel goes into another bucket at work if it is berdan, but I have a tendancy to save WOLF 223 and 45acp.

Ok,  I'll bring my alumimium and steel cases.

How about nickel?  How is that to reload?  I have a few 380 and 10mm cases, and a few other odds 'n ends.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to all who organized this. I will be there rain or shine. If there is anyway we can do this somewhat early that would be great I will have to leave around 4 PM because I will have worked the past three nights in a row (7PM - 7AM). And will be getting home saterday morrning then going to millers. I dont care what anyone brings even the small tools like a wilson case gauge and the brass trimmer that looks like a mini wood lath. Anything and everything that you guys can bring will be a great help to me just looking at it seeing things done maybe getting to do it myself and the most help a dillion 550B and a rockchucker seeing how the dies are set up and stuff like that is the most confusing thing for me this is what is holding me back from buying any stuff because I dont know if I will have the know how to set all of this stuff up. So yes if you guys can help out with any of these issues it will be a great help to me and I am very greatful for it. Right now Im reading my ABC's of reloading book. Hopfully I will find a willing mentor to teach me the art and science of reloading whi8le I'm there as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BRASS SUCKS!!!
just thought id share  

I'd hate to see you two get a divorce over all that brass.  I'll be there the 15th I'll take it off your hands.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll bring my powered trimmer setup, as it's one of the only tools I have that's not hard mounted down, but it'll help give new reloaders an idea of how to trim fast without spending $400 on a Giraud trimmer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#17]
heh heh...he said "trim"...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#19]
An other thing that I thought of, it will be a great help if anyone has fucked up brass to look at and compare to good brass. High primers, low primers, case head seperation about to happen here, over streched brass and anything else I left out. I think to actually see these bad cases to reload might actually save someones face and gun that might not know better. Seeing a picture in a book and actually seeing it in real life with an explatiton to me is more helpful.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Id like to see it, dont think I have the $ to get started for awhile though

Yeah same here.  It'll be cool to see what all is involved though.

Question about 9mm:  How much would I save by reloading my own vs. buying factory ammo?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
[Question about 9mm:  How much would I save by reloading my own vs. buying factory ammo?

Of all the calibers, 9mm is the hardest to save $$ on....when you factor in equipment outlay, time, materials, etc. If you shop for surp powder and pills, and save your brass, you can put together 9mm for $.06 a round (using lead bullets is even cheaper).

Where you REALLY save $$ is on good, accurate rounds, self-defense rounds, oddball calibers, or hunting ammo. You can certainly save $$ on plinking rounds, but it takes a while and you HAVE to buy in bulk.

To me, saving $$ ranks way down on the list of reasons to reload. First is, not being subject to ammo shortages, second is accuracy and third is making ammo that's tailored to my guns. Also, you never have to worry about buying a gun whose caliber isn't common.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Sweet, looks like we've got five so far.  

I'm going to be there all day, possibly staying Fri night.  So guys that want to look either early or later is fine with me.  We can do mini-sessions instead of one big one

And even if you don't think you'll be ready to start anytime soon, check it out anyway.  You may find you'll be ready sooner than later
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I just got ~60lbs of .40cal brass in the mail. (estimated 5000rds) All tumbled.  

Don't know if I'll have the green to get FMJ, powder and primers for them though.  

I took inventory.  Not as much steel as I thought I had.  Maybe 150rds .40, 1rd .45, 100rds of 9mm, and 1rd .223.  Aluminium was even less.  It is all bagged seperately for the dude that wanted them for recycling.

Looks like I'll be getting off around 4pm, make it over there by 430-445 on Saturday.  Might have a rifle semi-worthy of shooting too.  Where is the best place, locally, to find 7.62x54R?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
 Where is the best place, locally, to find 7.62x54R?

Olde English has some Polish ammo I think was, I was in there last Monday after work..
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Where is the best place, locally, to find 7.62x54R?

Olde English has some Polish ammo I think was, I was in there last Monday after work..

I just picked up a 440rd tin of the Polish stuff at AIM Surplus for $35 the other day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

its like, powered and stuff
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Looks like I'll be getting off around 4pm, make it over there by 430-445 on Saturday. Might have a rifle semi-worthy of shooting too. Where is the best place, locally, to find 7.62x54R?

Goodman's show is at Hara Arena on the 8th
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Looks like I'll be getting off around 4pm, make it over there by 430-445 on Saturday. Might have a rifle semi-worthy of shooting too. Where is the best place, locally, to find 7.62x54R?

They have been overpriced on ammo the last few times I have been there.  I'll check it out though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I just picked up a 440rd tin of the Polish stuff at AIM Surplus for $35 the other day.

That seems like a decent price.  Is it corrosive?

You went by and picked it up?  When are the store hours?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have been overpriced on ammo the last few times I have been there.  I'll check it out though.

No prob.  I have no clue what overpriced 7.62x54R looks like

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 70s to 80s production so it shouldn't be corrosive but one never really knows with combloc surplus stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 70s to 80s production so it shouldn't be corrosive but one never really knows with combloc surplus stuff.

I'd bet a week's paycheck it is corrosive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#33]
BTT

Only two more weeks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm planning on being there the 15th and would love to learn more about reloading. I have been considering it for a while now and just have not made the plunge.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Dad gave me his tumbler, so I'm getting started on some 9mm brass for you guys.  What is the proper way to clean these?  Tumble, then hot, soapy wash/brush, then rinse, then dry?  There is a bunch of nasty red media junk left on my test batch.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I tried the wash in hot soapy water once.  The hell with that

My process is:

-Tumble in plain walnut media (lizard media from Petsmart) for about an hour, depending on how dirty
-Spray with Hornady One Shot case lube (rifle only, I have carbide dies for my 38/357)
-Run through sizer/decapper
-Trim if needed
-Tumble in corn/walnut mix for 15-30 minutes to remove lube.  MAKE SURE ALL MEDIA IS REMOVED, ESPECIALLY FROM FLASH HOLE  Some people just use a towel and wipe it off for this step.
-I like shiny brass, so I tumble again in corn media for 30-60 minutes with Dillon Rapid polishMAKE SURE ALL MEDIA IS REMOVED, ESPECIALLY FROM FLASH HOLE
-Prime cases
-Expand mouth (pistol cases only, for rifle this done with the sizer die in one step)
-Drop powder charge into the case
-Seat bullet to correct OAL

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My process is:

-Tumble in plain walnut media (lizard media from Petsmart) for about an hour, depending on how dirty
-Spray with Hornady One Shot case lube (rifle only, I have carbide dies for my 38/357)
-Trim if needed
-Tumble in corn/walnut mix for 15-30 minutes to remove lube.  MAKE SURE ALL MEDIA IS REMOVED, ESPECIALLY FROM FLASH HOLE  Some people just use a towel and wipe it off for this step.
-I like shiny brass, so I tumble again in corn media for 30-60 minutes with Dillon Rapid polishMAKE SURE ALL MEDIA IS REMOVED, ESPECIALLY FROM FLASH HOLE
-Prime cases
-Expand mouth (pistol cases only, for rifle this done with the sizer die in one step)

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My process is:

-Trim if needed
-Prime cases

Posted :: 3/31/2006 3:16:09 PM EST

I'm tellin' your boss you ain't working
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stopped at Olde English on way home,  they have (5) tins of the Polish left.....   $69.99 per 440.

Loose 20 round packs at $3.50.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#40]
SBR7_11, thanks for checking.  I'll pick up a tin either tomorrow or the week before the shoot.

Thanks guys for the loading instructions.

I don't have the proper way to deprime the brass.  I was just going to bring some shiney/clean brass for you guys to practice load on.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Guys just a thought why dont everyone who is bringing reloading stuff list in this thread exactally what they are bringing that way we dont end up with 3 or 4 of the same presses and what not because Im sure its going to be a pain in the ass to bring some of this stuff along. Can you all bring al of the little hand tools as well like a wilson case gauge and a hand held pocket swager and all other kinds of what nots? I think that another thing that would really be a great help is if anyone has any brass that is bead and shouldnt be reloaded and also things like flat primers and other things that would tell you that your getting into that danger area basically messed up brass cases seeing a picture of it and reading about it in a book is alot different than actually seeing the real deal. And once again I want to thank all of you guys that are doing this for me and everybody else that are looking to get into reloading and a special thanks to SJ for thinking this and getting it set up I am truely greatfull for all your guys help. I know my wife is already thanking you guys in her own little special way espically after I told her how much cash it was going to cost
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#42]

I know my wife is already thanking you guys in her own little special way espically after I told her how much cash it was going to costsave

Fixed it for 'ya
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a question depending on the weather and all, is it possible to set up the reloading stuff outside under oneshots tent. I've never been to Millers before and don't know the owner but from the way things sound if it is in the clubhouse I wont be surprized if the owner wanted $20 from everyone going in and out of the clubhouse. I really want to see this stuff but if the owner wants money just to go inside I wont be able to, cash is kind of tight for me this month. But I would totaly understand if all you guys wanted your stuff inside under a roof.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Actually Kevin before any of that other stuff came up I already planned on doing that.  I'm going to bring my EZ up and just clamp the press to a table.  Probably pick up a few tarps and "wall" it in for the wind.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Cool thanks man my friend thats coming is looking to get into reloading as well. Can you bring some of the hand tools as well like a case trimmer and case gauge and the like?
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top