Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:51:24 AM EDT
Just an FYI.  I'll record it.  It's supposed to be "fair".  We will see.

bp
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The report was done by me through chanel 12 in Cincinnati.  One Shot, Inc. gave Rich Jaffe a very pro 50BMG interview and took him out to the range for a few shots.  Everbody on the line was shooting a variety of Barrett's.  This should be a very good episode.  Pay close attention to the very last line in the interview done by myself.

For those thinking all reporters are just out to stir s@*t up, you are wrong.  Rich is very pro gun.  He belongs to the NRA and is a very avid hunter.  Not just here in Ohio but around the world.  This will not be a one sided story.

Chris Roma
One Shot, Inc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I'm glad to hear that.  Someone told me they saw a teaser for it, and it sounded bad.  
"Why does anyone need a .50?" or something like that was the line he remembered.  
Chris, you'll have to give us a report on how much of what you said was left in the cutting room, and how much was changed by taking it out of context.  
BTW, he said channel 12 also, not 19.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes... Channel 12 (CBS), not 19 (FOX).

I don't know how fair a piece titled "LETHAL & LEGAL" will be, but I guess we'll find out here soon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember here guys, they are trying to gather the full audience.  If they said that these guns were used for target practice by reasonable law abiding people and the price of these right from the start, who would tune in to watch it?  If I knew nothing about it, never cared to know anything about it, I would not tune in.  But as soon as you say the word "leathal" or "terrorist" everybody and their brother tunes in.  

The streamer they are playing is doing just that.  It is neither pro-gun or anti-gun.  It is indifferent to gather both sides to watch.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Id like to see the video. Maybe they will stream it on their site after tonight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I look forward to this one.  I'll be recording it and watching in the morning.  Thanks to Chris and One Shot for helping the cause!  You guys rock.  

Collin
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Id like to see the video. Maybe they will stream it on their site after tonight.

If they don't I sure we'll figure out a way to get it posted here.  I'll be recording it also.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Fingers crossed, but keep this in mind guys if you're ever approached by the media. Anyone who is promised fair reporting should know that it's not the reporter who edits or puts the slant on the story. The producer can (and does) pick and choose what they want to be seen, and what that angle will be.

You can give them 1 hour full of the best pro-gun commentary EVER, and they can let it all lie on the cutting room floor and use 1 sentence that paints you looking stupid, taken out of context.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Chris....if this turns out one sided and anti .50

You should take him out again and have him shoot your M82 with that stormfront suppressor attached. Saves you the trouble of beating him up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive met Jack Atherton on sevral occasions and know for a fact that he is a solid conservitive. I havent talked with him about guns but I remember seeing a repord several years back that was pro gun. I dont think we should be too worried.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ive met Jack Atherton on sevral occasions and know for a fact that he is a solid conservitive. I havent talked with him about guns but I remember seeing a repord several years back that was pro gun. I dont think we should be too worried.

Only problem with Jack's reporting is that its not going to be on channel 12 where the report is
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
encode it and UPLOAD IT!

www.putfile.com

www.bigfilez.com

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 I want to see it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]
well can read the text from the web page or below.  Or is a link to the video at http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/

Not really a hatchet but still stilted a bit and inaccurate, holes in .5" steel at a mile?   Hmm I've never quite seen that... ~1600 meters maybe with AP? and really, hit a moving aircraft with one shot.. sure but my slingshot might somehow frag an engine or scare the pilot

Big Guns Spur Debate Over Sport Versus Terrorism Risk
LAST UPDATE: 2/20/2006 11:09:11 PM

Concerns about terrorism are prompting some to call for restrictions on a powerful and popular gun.

Local 12's Rich Jaffe takes aim at the weapon that is under fire.

The Barrett .50-caliber rifle can blast holes in walls, or go through a half inch steel plate from a mile away.  

Awesome power and accuracy make it the U.S. sniper's favorite rifle in Iraq.

In the Tri-State and across the nation, harnessing the Barrett's power has lured thousands of civilians into the .50 caliber club.

"You're in a group, you're like brothers," said Ernie Carter, Barrett .50-caliber rifle owner. "Brother's of the gun, I should say, but yes, it's out of fraternity."

.50-caliber rifles cost between $4,000 and $10,000. Anyone over 18, with no criminal history, can buy one.

And if the shooters are a fraternity, the One Shot Gun Shop in Newtown is their frat house.

"The name Barrett is so great around the United States, around the world," said Chris Roma, One Stop Gun Shop. "Military units use it, long range competitors use it. Just the thrill of having one, even if you don't get out and shoot it much, is just phenomenal. It's the king of the collection, so to say."

Each massive round costs $2 to $4. So while blasting palm size projectiles hundreds of yards is expensive, it's also thrilling.

"Being able to hit something at that long, long range, with these guns really makes it a challenge," said Carter.

"It's not about the destruction, being stupid, it's about the challenge of being able to hit a small area at such a long range," said Turpin Fischer, Barrett .50-caliber rifle owner.

Generally these shooters use paper targets. They set up hard targets to show us what a 50-caliber can do.

Rich Jaffe: "While these rifles have certainly earned their stripes in the military, and have thousands of civilian fans across the country, there are some people who say that these should not be in the hands of civilians, because a terrorist could used one to bring down an airliner."

"When terrorism groups like Osama Bin Laden, the Irish Republican Army, Timothy McVeigh, a group called Farq in Columbia, just as recently as two weeks ago, are attracted to these guns, they're attracted to them for a reason, said Tom Diaz, Violence Policy Center. "It's because they're an ideal tool for terrorism."

Tom Diaz is a senior policy analyst for the anti-gun Violence Policy Center.

Diaz wants .50-caliber rifles licensed and regulated just like automatic weapons and sawed off shotguns.

"The gun industry are just these pampered little babies that don't want to give an inch to the war against terrorism," said Diaz. "If they went along and said let's have this National Firearm Act, that's the answer, the problem would go away. Shooters would not have a problem. Hunters would not have a problem. Collectors would not have a problem. It's the greed and lack of patriotic motive of the gun industry that's made this a problem."

Federal agents came under .50-caliber fire, raiding the Branch Davidian compound in Waco.

And while Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger shot many such weapons in his movies, concern over rifles such as the Barrett prompted a California ban on civilian ownership.

Two other states are considering bans.

"These guns are clearly over the line for more careful regulation, and that's all we're asking for," said Diaz.

But back on the firing line, .50 caliber club members say the government needs to crack down on bad guys, not guns.

"Any thug, any crook can get any weapon that they want at any point in time," said Turpin Fischer. They're not following the laws that are out there. So if you add more background checks, more licensing, it's not gonna make a difference."

"If they can get hold of an airliner and use it as a weapon, it won't be difficult to get the weapons they want regardless of the legislation, regardless," said Chris Roma.

Barrett is just one of more than a half dozen companies that manufacture .50 caliber weapons.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a hatchet job to me. I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Guess that I was trying to say that I've seen much worse.  Really couldn't expect much better from channel 12 or from the other 2 major news outlets... fox affiliate would most likely been better but who knows till they do one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Not terribly bad, but it showed both sides. But it was a lil more anti gun than pro. More or less they just talked of the government issue. I am waitin to see what Chris has to say about it at this point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#18]
If they wanted ANY type of support from me or anyone in the "UNPATRIOTIC" gun crowd, at a very MINIMUM they need to change the NFA laws to REQUIRE a CLEO to sign off on the forms for transfers of any NFA firearm to anyone they cannot PROVE is prohibited from owning firearms of this or any other type. Make it a CRIME for said CLEO to flatly refuse to abide by FEDERAL law in the processing of of this paperwork. As things stand, while it may be legal under federal, state and local law, a CLEO can just decide by his personal OPINION that no one in his jurisdiction will get such a sign off. Keep in mind I did say this would be a MINIMUM step. First they need to fix many other problems if they want to claim this is in the name of national security. FIX the OPEN border problem first. They want to prevent TERRORISTS from getting weapons here? How bout keeping the terrorists OUT to begin with. The biggest problem we have with illegals entering the country is the Mexican border. This does NOT mean all those who are entering are MEXICANS. Now they are wanting to let the Saudis run our major shipping ports? Who else here gets a BIG RED FLAG apon hearing this? On second thought, there is no way in HELL I am gonna support ANY restrictions on US citizens rights to obtain weapons. How about making it a crime for ANYONE caught with ANY weapon with ties to TERRORIST groups, conviction punishable by CRUCAFICTION along said Mexican border? Ok, I would support that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#19]
First off, Amen to OhioEd.  You are 100% right.  To stop a problem from happening, go right to the source.

Second, I think the episode was very good.  To those who know history and or current history, did Timothy McVeigh use a 50 to blow up the Federal Building?  Has an airliner been taken down by a 50 or even attempted by a terrorist in the US?  No they are forced to try to use a laser and shine it in the cockpits eyes.  Why?  Because they do not have 50's!!!!!  Will banning Escalades prevent drive by's by drug selling gangbangers?  No!!!  They will buy something different or steal them.  

I'm very pleased with the report done.  Diaz is nothing but a politician who is trying to rise up to a Schumer or Feinstein status by making a platform based on lies, misconception, and ignorance.  

Any reasonable thought understanding person can figure this out.  The comments made by Diaz prove my point exactley.  They are grasping for anything they can to prove their cause worthy rather it be true or false.

He claims we are affraid to give an inch on tougher legislation on guns.  Well, I think since 1934 we have given feet.  It's called the National Firearms Act.  1986 VCA Violent Crimes Act.  1993 Brady Bill.  2003-2005 California ban on just about eveything.  What next?   Inches???  Bulls^&t.  More like feet.

I would say that the episode in a whole is 75% pro-gun and 25% anti-gun because of the comments made by Diaz.  

Chris Roma
One Shot, Inc.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I just want to know where your other shop is Chris.
You know, One Stop Gun Shop.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only problem with Jack's reporting is that its not going to be on channel 12 where the report is

My bad Im not living in cinci anymore so I forget who works for who
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#22]
This should take you to the video www.wkrc.com/mediacenter/?videoId=8673
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#23]
In the report they mention that the Feds came under .50 fire at Waco, I was under the impression that no .50 was ever found, and that no-one or thing was hit by .50?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Good job Chris, both in letting the forum know about the interview and the interview itself.

As for the piece itself, I think its amazingly balanced.  Hell, I'd argue that its more pro-gun than anti, just doing a negative vs. positive words/phrase count.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the report was 50/50. It really sounds like the reporter was being fair, but the promos were going for shock value.

Personally, I would't give anyone help to put a gun story on the 11pm local news. There are too many people out there that wouldn't understand the big picture by only seeing a 3-minute spot. All three of our big news channels (ABC, NBC, CBS) are out to up thier ratings and the easiest way to do that is by sensationalizing a story.

As was mentioned before, Jaffe may be a good fellow, but his opinion may not matter if the higher-ups decide the story needs more pizzazz. This could have turned out really bad for the 50 crowd, but luckily I think it was balanced 50/50. Remember, most people have never seen or heard of a 50 rifle and would naturally say one of two things when watching that story: "Wow, cool!" or "What on earth does anyone need something like that for?" Let's hope most said: "Wow, cool!"

Cincylance

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#26]
We'll know what the reaction was by how many people walk into OneShot looking to buy a .50 now!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I think the report was 50/50. It really sounds like the reporter was being fair, but the promos were going for shock value.

Personally, I would't give anyone help to put a gun story on the 11pm local news. There are too many people out there that wouldn't understand the big picture by only seeing a 3-minute spot. All three of our big news channels (ABC, NBC, CBS) are out to up thier ratings and the easiest way to do that is by sensationalizing a story.

As was mentioned before, Jaffe may be a good fellow, but his opinion may not matter if the higher-ups decide the story needs more pizzazz. This could have turned out really bad for the 50 crowd, but luckily I think it was balanced 50/50. Remember, most people have never seen or heard of a 50 rifle and would naturally say one of two things when watching that story: "Wow, cool!" or "What on earth does anyone need something like that for?" Let's hope most said: "Wow, cool!"

Cincylance

I showed it to everyone at the office and they all came away saying "cool" or just not caring one way or the other.  No one said "OMG, the terrorists can buy THAT!!".  Most of the comments were "that looks huge!! how could you hide that?  how are you supposed to use THAT in a crime? Its bigger than me!!".  

Honestly I think the anti's just don't have any room to work anymore.  They still have their "bases" of operation (DC, NYC, Cali, Chicago) but most of the rest of the USA thinks owning a pistol isn't a bad idea now.  Heck I'm surprised by the number that think owning a EBR is a good idea.  

We just need to keep them on the run.  Push for removal of current laws. The best defense is a good offense.

bp
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
We'll know what the reaction was by how many people walk into OneShot looking to buy a .50 now!

I wish.  I would love to have a barrett but they cost *SO* much its way down on my list.  I need a LW upper, some more silencers, a couple of good .308s (the LW piston .308, FAL, M1A) and an AK.  Then *MAYBE*, after I stock up on, oh, 10-20k rounds of ammo for the others, THEN I'll get a Barrett. ;)

But Chris, if your low on storage space I can help you out and store one over at my place for you.  I'll make sure it stays "exercised".

bp
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top