Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/17/2006 8:08:02 AM EDT
Anyone have any expierince getting a CLEO sign-off for a silencer in Trumbull County??

Dave
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a few who have gotten sign offs from the sherrif in trumbull county for suppressors.

Where are you at in trumbull, I'm from newton falls.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Im in Liberty.  That's good to hear on the sign-off.  I am goin back an forth on a supp. for my G19 or doin one of the Walther P22's with a can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
hi there
im also in trumbull - in vienna
ive been wondering the same thing -
looking to get signed off on SBR
does this have to happen before the paperwork goes to atf?
thanks
mg
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes the CLEO has to sign off before it goes to the ATFE. Also you might want to go to your local city chief and see if they will sign off first. My local police chief is a good guy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
this is probably a weird question.....

but how do i go approaching  the CLEO in my area
without coming across as a "gun-nut"  "right-wing-survivalist"
or some hokey like that?
the reason i ask --- i talk with the local cruiser cop here in town at the gas station periodically
and ive asked him about it --- hes never even heard of the NFA
and promptly informed me that    "...... 'silencers'  are illegal"  
so  basically im sort of leery about walking into the vienna PD
and declaring that id like to get a leo signoff for an nfa device - or something to that effect
any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Zombie

I know where you’re coming from, I am freshly legal for NFA stuff (turning 21 in a few weeks).  I keep wondering if I a going to walk into the PD and he is going to go "get out a here, what do you want a silencer for."  

I think my game plan is going to be:

1. Walk into the PD and talk to chief's secretary and say "I have some forms for the ATF the chief needs to sign, he can reach me at xxx-xxxx if he has any questions"

2. If he want's to talk to me about it come in and explain that I like to collect firearms and would like to expand my collection to NFA items.

3. If he is leaning toward not signing I will probably say something along the lines of "while I would really appreciate your cooperation in the process it is not totally necessary as I can purchase the items through a corp. or trust in which case you would be unaware of what I was purchasing"

4. If he still won't sign I'm gonna go to lawyer and setting up a trust to purchase NFA stuff

Being from Vienna are you a member of Vienna Fish and Game???
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Zombie

I know where you’re coming from, I am freshly legal for NFA stuff (turning 21 in a few weeks).  I keep wondering if I a going to walk into the PD and he is going to go "get out a here, what do you want a silencer for."  

I think my game plan is going to be:

1. Walk into the PD and talk to chief's secretary and say "I have some forms for the ATF the chief needs to sign, he can reach me at xxx-xxxx if he has any questions"

2. If he want's to talk to me about it come in and explain that I like to collect firearms and would like to expand my collection to NFA items.

3. If he is leaning toward not signing I will probably say something along the lines of "while I would really appreciate your cooperation in the process it is not totally necessary as I can purchase the items through a corp. or trust in which case you would be unaware of what I was purchasing"

4. If he still won't sign I'm gonna go to lawyer and setting up a trust to purchase NFA stuff

Being from Vienna are you a member of Vienna Fish and Game???

dtl
i like your gameplan
no i am not currently a member of the VFG
but i plan to be one of these days
i do however go there some thursdays to shoot pistol
as their pistol range is open to public in eves on thurs  --- for 3 bucks!
thanks for the reply
mg
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep you can basically just leave the forms. I wouldn't bring up the Corp route though. Don't act like it upsets you at all just smile and say thankyou. It is important to come across as a resopnsible and calm adult. Just move on to one of the MANY other people that can sign the form. Like I said the Sheriff is a good guy, so if local pd says no then just move on (prosecutors, coroner, and some judges also can sign). If in the end everyone would say no then just go the LLC route. It's probably a lot cheaper than a lawyer.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top